Neo Coolcam motion sensor: cannot change variables

Very good information! Especially reply #15. Thanks very much.

I have one of these and cannot get it to pair at all. Tried all the various instructions I could find, as Dome sensor, as Generic Z-wave, followed manual and factory reset, any variation I could come up with and no joy. Is there another trick I am not smart enough to understand?

It should pair just fine, have you got the motion sensor moved closer to the Vera units location when trying to pair ?

Also sometimes in the past with brand new Z-Wave devices, I’ve had to exclude them first before I could include them.
Not sure about how to do this on a Vera Edge / Plus though. On the VeraLite there was a minus button on the unit I’d press.

All the motion sensor user manual says about excluding is:

Remove​ ​Motion​ ​Detector​ ​from​ ​Z‐Wave​ ​Network
1.​ ​Remove​ ​the​ ​device​ ​cover.
2.​ ​Make​ ​sure​ ​the​ ​sensor​ ​is​ ​powered.
3.​ ​Set​ ​Z‐Wave​ ​controller​ ​or​ ​Z‐Wave​ ​gateway​ ​into​ ​remove​ ​mode​ ​(Refer​ ​to​ ​the​ ​controller​ ​or gateway​ ​operating​ ​manual)
4.​ ​Press​ ​the​ ​button​ ​three​ ​times​ ​within​ ​1.5​ ​second​ ​to​ ​make​ ​the​ ​controller​ ​in​ ​remove​ ​mode.

I have been working with the sensor less than three feet from the VeraPlus controller.
Went through the steps as you posted, although I had tried that before, gave it another shot. No joy.
The sensor appears to act like the manual says it should, and I believe the VeraPlus is also acting correctly, just can’t get them to play together.

Perhaps the sensor is faulty then? Where did you purchase it from?

I bought mine from the official Neo Coolcam store on AliExpress.com

I am in contact with the vendor and expect I will be returning the sensor

[quote=“fbrown, post:24, topic:197628”]I have been working with the sensor less than three feet from the VeraPlus controller.
Went through the steps as you posted, although I had tried that before, gave it another shot. No joy.
The sensor appears to act like the manual says it should, and I believe the VeraPlus is also acting correctly, just can’t get them to play together.[/quote]

I had the same issue and after lots of wasted time trying to figure it out, I realized that I ordered the UK version which is not compatible with the US controller as they are on different frequencies.

[quote=“nirgal, post:13, topic:197628”]Thanks , anything I need to configure in terms of Vera since I am not sure the light sensor is working as it shows the same number all the time.

Thanks,
Nir Gal[/quote]

Any luck with the light sensor value ? I have the same unit as yours, I believe the manual says value 99 for calibrating the light values but I am playing with it with no results.

Hello folks,
I use this sensor quite some time now but since yesterday it is tripped permanently.
The battery level is around 90% so I don’t think the fault is there.
What I did with no help is:
-exclude, reset and include again…same problem after some hours.
Later I will try to change the sensitivity but it’s crazy that it worked fine until yesterday…
I made an update for my Vera edge as well but the tripping started before.
Any ideas?
Best wishes, Doreen

[quote=“souly75, post:29, topic:197628”]Hello folks,
I use this sensor quite some time now but since yesterday it is tripped permanently.
The battery level is around 90% so I don’t think the fault is there.
What I did with no help is:
-exclude, reset and include again…same problem after some hours.
Later I will try to change the sensitivity but it’s crazy that it worked fine until yesterday…
I made an update for my Vera edge as well but the tripping started before.
Any ideas?
Best wishes, Doreen[/quote]

Assume you have taken the battery out of it for 30 seconds and put it back in again ?

Yeah I left it without battery a whole night and after the new inclusion the other day it worked good again. Thank you.

[quote=“ojovilla, post:28, topic:197628”][quote=“nirgal, post:13, topic:197628”]Thanks , anything I need to configure in terms of Vera since I am not sure the light sensor is working as it shows the same number all the time.

Thanks,
Nir Gal[/quote]

Any luck with the light sensor value ? I have the same unit as yours, I believe the manual says value 99 for calibrating the light values but I am playing with it with no results.[/quote]

The light sensor is working OK on my motion sensor. Neo Coolcam motion sensor version 2 one that has a Temperature sensor on it

Parameters I set to do with the LUX sensor were the following:

Parameter #5
2 byte dec
Value = 6

1. Ambient illumination Lux Level (Not Complete, Reserved) This parameter can be set a lux level value which determines when the light sensor is activated. If the ambient illumination level falls below this value and a person moves across or within the detected area , PIR detector will send a Z-Wave ON command(i.e. BASIC_SET value = parameter 3#) to an associated device and activate it.

Function: Lux Level Set Parameter Number: 5 Parameter Size: 2 Byte Available Settings: 0 - 1000(Lux) Default Setting: 100(Lux)

Parameter #9
1 byte dec
Value = 10

1. Ambient illumination Lux Level Report This parameter defines by how much Lux Level must change, in lux, to be reported to the main controller. Function:Lux Level Report Parameter Number:9 Parameter Size:2 Byte Available Settings:0 - 1000(Lux) Default Setting: 100(Lux)

There is also parameter #7 I did not use this parameter or add it to the Device Options.

1. Light Sensor Polling Interval This Parameter can be set the light sensor measure ambient illumination level interval time. NOTE: This Value Must Be less than Wakeup Interval Time.

Function:Light Sensor Polling Interval Parameter Number:7 Parameter Size:2 Byte Available Settings:60 - 36000(second) Default Setting:600(s)

Well for the life of me I cannot disable the red light flashing upon motion detection.

It’s meant to be parameter #10 1byte Dec with a value of 0.

I can set this OK in the Device Options but it just does not work

Also tried 1byte hex and 2byte Dec but nothing seems to work and turn it off. :cry:

If anyone is having issue with the LUX / Light sensor readings / scale and them being very low. I just did the following and it sorted my LUX sensor problems. ;D

I fixed the LUX sensor scale problem and it being really low. Some of the Neo Coolcam user manuals and there are various versions online, make mention of parameter 99 - Ambient Light Intensity Calibration, but they don’t give the further details needed.

I found another user manual from a US company called Siterwell, which looked like a Neo Coolcam motion sensor, their user manual has much more detail about this parameter 99.

Using a LUX meter app on my phone I was able to calibrate the Neo Coolcam motion sensor for LUX and the levels are now much higher and pretty much match what the app on the phone is reading. So this should mean the lights no longer come on during the day, because the LUX reading was ridiculously low.

In my case I have set parameter 99 to 2 byte dec with a value of 231.

Here is the Siterwell User Manual:

99.​ ​Ambient​ ​light​ ​intensity​ ​calibration

This​ ​parameter​ ​defines​ ​the​ ​calibrated​ ​scale​ ​for​ ​ambient​ ​light​ ​intensity.​ ​Because​ ​the method​ ​and​ ​position​ ​that​ ​the​ ​sensor​ ​mounted​ ​and​ ​the​ ​cover​ ​of​ ​sensor​ ​will​ ​bring measurement​ ​error,​ ​user​ ​can​ ​get​ ​more​ ​real​ ​light​ ​intensity​ ​by​ ​this​ ​parameter​ ​setting.​ ​

User should​ ​run​ ​the​ ​steps​ ​as​ ​blows​ ​for​ ​calibrating

1)​ ​Set​ ​this​ ​parameter​ ​value​ ​to​ ​default(Assumes​ ​the​ ​sensor​ ​has​ ​been​ ​added​ ​in​ ​a​ ​Z‐Wave Network).
2)​ ​Place​ ​a​ ​digital​ ​luxmeter​ ​close​ ​to​ ​sensor​ ​and​ ​keep​ ​the​ ​same​ ​direction,​ ​monitor​ ​the​ ​light intensity​ ​value​ ​(Vm)​ ​which​ ​report​ ​to​ ​controller​ ​and​ ​record​ ​it.​ ​The​ ​same​ ​time​ ​user​ ​should record​ ​the​ ​value​ ​(Vs)​ ​of​ ​luxmeter.
3)​ ​The​ ​scale​ ​calibration​ ​formula:​ ​k​ ​=​ ​Vm​ ​/​ ​Vs.
4)​ ​The​ ​value​ ​of​ ​k​ ​is​ ​then​ ​multiplied​ ​by​ ​1000​ ​and​ ​rounded​ ​to​ ​the​ ​nearest​ ​whole​ ​number.
5)​ ​Set​ ​the​ ​value​ ​getting​ ​in​ ​5)​ ​to​ ​this​ ​parameter,​ ​calibrate​ ​finished. For​ ​example,​ ​Vm​ ​=​ ​300,​ ​Vs​ ​=​ ​2000,​ ​then k​ ​=​ ​300​ ​/​ ​2600​ ​=​ ​0.11538 k​ ​=​ ​0.11538​ ​*​ ​1000​ ​=​ ​115.38​ ​≈​ ​115 The​ ​parameter​ ​should​ ​be​ ​set​ ​to​ ​115. Function:​ ​​Ambient​ ​light​ ​intensity​ ​calibration Parameter​ ​Number:​ ​​99 Parameter​ ​Size:​ ​​2​ ​Byte Available​ ​Settings​:​ ​1​ ​~​ ​65536
Default​ ​Setting:​ ​​1000

My calculation was:

VM (Neo CoolCam) = 327
VS (Lux Meter on Phone) = 1411

K= 327 / 1411 = 0.23175

Value for Parameter 99 = 231

[quote=“cw-kid, post:15, topic:197628”]Everything is working with this Neo Coolcam v2 motion sensor apart from in Vera very often the temperature sensor says 0.00 degrees.

Some times for a while it does show a temperature reading OK but a lot of the time when I look its 0.00

The supplied user manual leaflet makes no mention of any device parameter settings to do with the temperature sensor portion of the device.

Anyone else also had this problem ?

The Lux on the other hand is updating in Vera perfectly fine.

Thanks

I’ve also attached my current parameter settings and how this device looks in the Imperihome app.[/quote]

Exactly the same problem. I configured it according to your indications, at the beginning I get correct temp and now 0?C, did you find a solution? Thanks Chris

[quote=“chris66, post:35, topic:197628”][quote=“cw-kid, post:15, topic:197628”]Everything is working with this Neo Coolcam v2 motion sensor apart from in Vera very often the temperature sensor says 0.00 degrees.

Some times for a while it does show a temperature reading OK but a lot of the time when I look its 0.00

The supplied user manual leaflet makes no mention of any device parameter settings to do with the temperature sensor portion of the device.

Anyone else also had this problem ?

The Lux on the other hand is updating in Vera perfectly fine.

Thanks

I’ve also attached my current parameter settings and how this device looks in the Imperihome app.[/quote]

Exactly the same problem. I configured it according to your indications, at the beginning I get correct temp and now 0?C, did you find a solution? Thanks Chris[/quote]

Seems there are no parameters you can set in relation to the temp sensor.

Mine still goes to 0.0c sometimes but the correct reading comes back again at some point.

Hi,

I also am facing the temp 0.0 issue. The problem is I created a scene if temp goes below 3 start the swimming pool filtration…
anyone got any info on a workaround for this issue please ?
Thanks
JM

[quote=“CyberJeanMi, post:37, topic:197628”]Hi,

I also am facing the temp 0.0 issue. The problem is I created a scene if temp goes below 3 start the swimming pool filtration…
anyone got any info on a workaround for this issue please ?
Thanks
JM[/quote]
For the pool no freezing risk if you put your trigger below -0.1?C, as water will still be warmer than the air and tubes are normally buried.

[/quote]

Seems there are no parameters you can set in relation to the temp sensor.

Mine still goes to 0.0c sometimes but the correct reading comes back again at some point.
[/quote]
Sometimes it’s also the Light sensor that stays on 0, sometimes both. Maybe a problem seeing neighbors, mine is outside, so when it loses communication, instead of displaying the last known value, it resets to zero. Maybe could be corrected in the code? I’ve also seen that the provided battery was on 3V, this type of batteries you can also find 3.7V, I think it will not break the device trying with a 3.7V to see if a higher voltage can helps…

My motion sensor is in the house in the kitchen and lots of other Z-Wave devices around the place.