My new Vera 3 is bricked!

[quote=“mcvgeorge, post:35, topic:169821”]Hi guys if you encounter this issue please make sure that the commands you type are the same ones from the guide, or you can cause other issues with your Vera unit. I have uploaded a new version of the guide, but please copy/paste the commands and run them like they are written in the guide.

Thanks.[/quote]

Im using a mac to connect to the vera 3, but when i try to telnet with the new guide, i keep getting “operation timed out error”
am i missing something?

[quote=“mcvflorin, post:39, topic:169821”]The backup file max size has been increased to 2 MB. So no need to worry.[/quote]I’m confused.
If I restore to “factory” the script limit was not initially at 2 MB.
Therefore, If the limit is 2 MB after this restore, then it can’t be a 'factory restore"
What part is being restored to “factory”

I don’t want it to seem like I’m splitting hairs, but I’m real dubious about what you guys say now.
I believe the last FW I was prompted to install (which crashed my system) contained a core Linux revision which can’t be undone by installing a pre-crash backup or going through this flash process.

Any truth to that?

JOD.

My guess is that even if you have to revert back to this default OS via redboot or whatever they are using, once they reinitialize the file-system, it’ll come back up with a stored version of what you had before (albeit blank), even if this is not the case, no matter what it comes back up with, you can always update this fresh install to a version that contains the 2MB provision before loading your install!

@JOD
What firmware version do you have now?

[quote=“strangely, post:43, topic:169821”]you can always update this fresh install to a version that contains the 2MB provision[/quote]I’m trying to go back to pre-crash conditions 11/30/11
The problem is: When I restore a pre-crash backup, nothing works, none of my plugins, not timed events, nothing.

So I thought something must have been installed (a hardware upgrade maybe) alongside the MIOS FW upgrade that does not get undone by reverting. @Micasaverde just informed me it’s a Linux issue.

I was hoping that a 'factory" restore would revert whatever changes that crashed my system. But no matter what I do, I cant revert by using one of my backups.

JOD.

*Edit. So, with my 11/30/11 backup installed and upgrading to 1.5.254 nothing works.
Installing the 11/30/11 backup to 1.5.254 and almost everything is working, albeit my VRCS2’s and the Ademco plugin “Startup Lua failed”

I have a Vera 2 that has worked great for two years in a vacation home. I remember it taking two days of manuals/forums and every last bit of my technical skills to finally get it to work. Actually, I was shopping for a Vera 3 when I came across this thread. Now, you’ve scared the crap out of me. I don’t want to enjoy that experience again although I love the product and recommend it to tech savvy friends. Maybe by rev 3? or Vera 4? I got my eng’g degree in 1967 so this is starting to get way, way over my head.

So far my Vera 3 has been quite stable with the latest firmware. You shouldn’t need to upgrade if Vera 2 is working for you as Vera 3 just adds more memory that should only be needed by larger Z-Wave installations. For vacation rental stuff you should still be OK with Vera 2. For future purchases I would recommend Vera Lite as it gets rid of the WiFi and router portions of older Veras and that in itself should make it much easier to setup and use. Yes, Vera can have a learning curve to set up, but I feel any issue is typically compunded when you factor in all of the network side of things. Like my Vera jumping around to different IP addresses every time I reboot it even though I gave it a static IP reservation in the router, so the UI seems unresponsive when it is just a cached version and I need to “find Vera” again on my network. Not Vera’s fault, but just makes fixing small issues more of a PITA.

I would not worry about this issue. MCV has a fix that will be released in the coming public beta.

• Garrett

I re-arranged my home network. Moving my Vera 3 to a different hub. Something went wrong. After moving it I am unable to log into Vera via mios or directly via 192.168.81.1. Following instructions on this page, I am able to ssh into Vera. When try to log into it directly is appears that it does not recognize any of my user names. It also will not act as a bridge for IP traffic.

Any suggestions?

Should I try to restore to factor defaults? I do have backup. If so how? The links I have read do not seem to have a restore to factory default for Vera 3.

Bob

Well it is now working as a bridge. I can log pass internet traffic. I still cannot log into Vera. I have tried local. It seems to looking for a user name and password that I do not know. I have also tried via the setup application at the micasverde website. It sees Vera’s serial number but is unable to connect.

Bob

Did you follow these instructions to do the SSH login, i.e. username = root, password from bottom of Vera?

Are you saying you were able to get a login prompt when connecting to 192.168.81.1, but you couldn’t get to the Dashboard from a browser?

Yes, I did follow those instructions to get via ssh. Then I got frustrated and did the instruction below. That changed one item. Vera now acts as a wireless router. I can get to the internet via Vera. I still am unable to get to Vera dashboard. There is a login before the dashboard that I cannot get past.

1. Connect your computer directly into the LAN1 port on the Vera3 unit
  2. Plug the power adapter in Vera and when the red light starts blinking, press and release the reset button
  3. Put a static IP on your computer (192.168.1.2) and the gateway 192.168.1.1 (subnet mask will always default to 255.255.255.0 - so leave it like that)
  4. Open a command prompt and telnet into the unit: telnet 192.168.1.1
    Then run these commands:

mtd erase rootfs_data
flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd7
sync
echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

1. Now the Vera unit should reboot and you should see it booting up. It might take a couple of seconds minutes, first the LED should be solid red, then green, red and after that it should boot up.
  2. Change your IP address back on automatically or 192.168.81.2 and gateway 192.168.81.1
  3. Check that the Dashboard loads on 192.168.81.1 after all the LEDs are on and solid green

I have been thinking this through. I setup a password for even local user access. If I remember right that was a check box in web interface. That worked fine. It was the same password as my remote access. I had all of the network issues and then reset the device to factory defaults. Now my thoughts are that the system reset but the requirement for a local password is still there but it is not in the whole system. That way I am unable to log in.

Is there a way via SSH to change some flag that requires local login.

Bob

Just would like to thank you all because you saved my life (and my vera by the way…). I had the orange power led problem and followed your advices and it worked !!
Just wanted to add that RESET must press just after the first time the power led turn into orange for the first time. Then it blinks orange and green very quickly meaning the VERA is ready to hard reseted.

[quote=“bobrunning2004, post:52, topic:169821”]Yes, I did follow those instructions to get via ssh. Then I got frustrated and did the instruction below. That changed one item. Vera now acts as a wireless router. I can get to the internet via Vera. I still am unable to get to Vera dashboard. There is a login before the dashboard that I cannot get past.

2. Plug the power adapter in Vera and when the red light starts blinking, press and release the reset button
  3. Put a static IP on your computer (192.168.1.2) and the gateway 192.168.1.1 (subnet mask will always default to 255.255.255.0 - so leave it like that)
    Then run these commands:

mtd erase rootfs_data
flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd7
sync
echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

1. Now the Vera unit should reboot and you should see it booting up. It might take a couple of seconds minutes, first the LED should be solid red, then green, red and after that it should boot up.
  2. Change your IP address back on automatically or 192.168.81.2 and gateway 192.168.81.1
  3. Check that the Dashboard loads on 192.168.81.1 after all the LEDs are on and solid green[/quote]

I could not get into my Vera 3 today until I did this… thank you!

Someone should put this on the Wiki!

Today I run into trouble with my vera 3 after accidentaly clicking the “reset network confguration” instead of reboot.
Finally I decidedtrying to reset my vera3 ( I hope I can restore a backup of al my devices!!! :-\ )

Anyway , I can not connect to my vera 3

I tried this:

[/quote]

But I am unable to connect , the powerlight remains steady red.

What to do? I am a bit desperate now , I amsorelying on my vera 3.

Thanks for the help,
Cor