My new Vera 3 is bricked!

[quote=“big517, post:20, topic:169821”]I logged in to post the exact same solution that George gave me via Email. Will give it a run tonight.
I’m thinking i’ll start from scratch as well now.[/quote]

We’ll see if this helps my No Zwave condition after performing a factory reset and resetting the zwave network. I submitted a ticket, received a response, but I need to re-enable tech support tunnel and I emailed them the new link but I haven’t heard back.

Apparently it is very common and caused by not being able to DL a certain file when it is resetting itself. I was just saying to myself, if it is so easy why isn’t it in the Wiki, but maybe these are the steps to do it ourselves. I’ll try it tonight!

If anyone can help me with a No Z-wave error, I am all ears.

@Shady, did you migrate from a V2 backup? if you did then you’ll need to enter /dev/ttyS0 as the Z-wave port.

@strangely, thank you, I guess I did migrate from a V2 backup as MCV did that for me when it was sent. It failed to install the plug-ins and an error message to that effect persisted and was bugging me. So I decided to trade in the next 12 hours of my life and do a full reset. :slight_smile:

Your suggestion sounds like the simple step I was missing. I’ll try what you suggested tonight.

Hmmm… Cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 on port 23. I am getting a ping response to the gateway (Vera 3) buy cannot connect. Is there a different port?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Its SSH so its port 22

Still cannot connect on port 22 VIA TELNET, any other ideas?

Finally got the Vera to blink rapidly and i’m connected via port 23. I think the trick is to hit reset between the first red blink upon boot.

steps from George (posted by Simdude) worked great for me. My vera booted and I was able to restore everything from a backup. Love the auto-backup to mios.com as the default setting because I hadn’t gotten around to making my own backup yet.

Maybe sticky this thread so that others in a similar spot can recover their unit without contacting tech support? I am going to print out the instructions and keep it near my vera in case it happens again.

It should be noted that I also saved and loaded from a V2 ui5 backup. I believe that is the root of the issue

Some first experience with V3 which may help to avoid this issue with others.

• When VERA is put in include-mode, the zwave light blinks slowly. After including a devide (fast blinking) it continues to blink slowly again. To make sure the include mode is stopped, I pushed the zwave button on Vera so that the blinking stopped.
  • Before disconnecting the power-pack, I waited for all lights to become stable again
  • I also connected Vera with the Ethernet to my router and waited for all activity to cease (all light stable) before disconnecting the power-pack
  • I have done 5 sessions to include max 5 devices each time

So far the results are perfect. I can control all devices, have created triggered and scheduled scenes and the Blackberry works perfect with the Web-based app.

Everything I hoped for and more. Working within a couple of hours.

@Turk4U2 that is good advice…to wait.

I think that is a key point, that you need to wait for each procedure you execute in Vera to finish. It is easy to hurry things sometimes and Vera may not be done trading information or downloading something and interrupting Vera impatiently leads to longer wait times or putting Vera in an unknown state that some might see as bricked. Also, during setup I’ve had Vera switch IP addresses so what you may think is an unresponsive Vera/UI is actually the wrong address and a cached UI. The lights on the front of Vera and the messages in the UI give some idea of what Vera is doing, but not always. When I just used @Strangley’s suggestion to fix my No ZWave error, it took a long time for Vera restart the Zwave again and the messages were kind of vague and redundant, so waiting was important.

Mine did it again… After spending hours today working on it.

Same problem. Been working for a couple of weeks fine. Took it around to add some Leviton controllers and when I plugged it back into power it is blinking red/green. WIll try posted suggestions tonight. Not good!

FWIW: I followed the above instructions and happily up and running. I do question the theory about letting the system rest before switching power. I do that as a matter of course (I am a UNIX engineer and understand filesystem cache and flushing the cache etc…). So I always ensure a quiesced set of activity lights.

I ran the telnet commands and everything looked okay but instead of rebooting, the power light just went to solid green. Now every time i plug it in, that’s it - solid green power light and nothing else…I can’t even access the unit thru telnet now.

Hi guys if you encounter this issue please make sure that the commands you type are the same ones from the guide, or you can cause other issues with your Vera unit. I have uploaded a new version of the guide, but please copy/paste the commands and run them like they are written in the guide.

Thanks.

[quote=“mcvgeorge, post:35, topic:169821”]I have uploaded a new version of the guide[/quote]I’m seeing three terminologies referenced in the guide.

Restore, Flash and Erase.

In comparison to the V1/V2 flash utility which makes you go back to a early FW…
When running this V3 procedure, what state is the box at completion?

JOD.

Hi JOD,

This issue is only encountered with the Vera 3 units, and will be patched in the next firmware release. This is not the same guide as the ones for the Vera 1/2 units because it is an issue encountered only on the Vera 3 units in the kernel. After the completion the unit it is restored to the factory defaults.

After the completion the unit it is restored to the factory defaults.
Understood. But I want to know what that factory default is, as far as what UI5 revision etc My V3 came from @micasaverde with my data pre-loaded and a very early UI5 beta, so I've not experienced the initial out of box "factory default".

My primary concern is my backup file is >1 MB, so by restoring to “factory default” I may be blocked from restoring the backup due to the script limit.

JOD.

The backup file max size has been increased to 2 MB. So no need to worry.

[quote=“mcvflorin, post:39, topic:169821”]The backup file max size has been increased to 2 MB. So no need to worry.[/quote]You do know you just gave him the Green light to expand his mansion into a castle don’t you! 8)