MiOS Server Status page ideas

Same here, down. In my situation my internet went down at exactly midnight Thursday. ( which is very unusual as my internet is very very reliable.) I ignored it and went to bed. No internet in the morning, so I rebooted modem. Got a new IP address ( my last one I had for a year ). The new ip was way different and I noticed ipv6 was now available. (Network update? Says my brain) It just so happens that last week I happened to be working with Vera ( which I had not touched in 6-8 months ) to add some devices and automate some tasks. So now due to mios or getvera down, which I didn’t know. I am now pulling my hair out due to lack of access, deleting stuff willy nilly and cursing all things thinking that my internet outage or new configuration was the cause of my problem. Resetting ap’s, routers and more cussing. I looked at Twitter and micasaverde has one tweet. ONE!!! How the heck is someone supposed to know if the mios, getvera, micasaverde whatever is down. How are new buyers supposed to set up units or get an out of box satisfaction. I would be pretty ticked if I purchased some switches, wired them in first, installed sensors and then couldn’t make connectivity happen and not be able to find out why.

Now I can’t get pw reset, i think I may have created a new account with my same login name and so as for getting my system back working the worse may be yet to come.

I suppose that is what we get for believing or thinking that micasaverde / Vera controls is this big reliable company. When in reality it appears to be the 11th floor of an office building in Hong Kong with a few guys huddled around workstations as the developers / support / rd / sales / hr / party planners.

So the wife says " well just buy something else ". I think I may barricade myself in the network closet in the basement. :slight_smile:
By no means is the inability to access my devices going to negatively impact my life, however it would be nice to have a way to know so that I didn’t waste hours on an issue beyond my control.

A good wife would not make you choose between her and Vera. ;D

When loading UI5 from local network it takes very long time saying “LOADING DATA” eventually after several minutes I have to hit ESC and I get
“Unable to retrieve data, please try again later. If the situation persist, please check your internet settings.”
I know VERA is connected to internet: I can check firmware updates and ping google from SSH.

I’m losing my confidence in Micasa Verde as a company. 11th floor company in Honkong office building is pretty good, I’m suspecting it’s more of a Florida based home office/back office :wink:

I don’t know, but mine works fine with AutHomationHD and HomeWave.

Locally I can log into with local IP address (not cp.mios.com) and it works expect for when you need to login for logs or user information.

Are you guys with issues using factory VERA app?

When the server is down, it is not clear what one’s options are. If there were a well-documented process diagram, we might guess. Unfortunately, MCV seems to be a small company who sells to individuals who only pay less than $200 one time for hardware. The income stream isn’t directly tied to high server availability, process scrutability, rapid follow-up on bugs, or really anything other than overall reputation. If they charged us by the month, then the folks who work there could be better paid and they would have more cash for backup systems, etc.

It may be my glass-half-empty take on things, but z-wave seems to be in that unreal valley between open-source hardware/software that is often popular with do-it-yourselfers like us, and professionally-supported closed source systems. Z-wave isn’t open source, and the Vera controller, though based on open-source code, is not available for forking if MCV runs out of resources. Nobody profits directly when users get taken care of quickly. I, for one, would be willing to pay a monthly fee if service guarantees would come with that.

Just my $.02.

[quote=“JoeBR, post:45, topic:168998”]When the server is down, it is not clear what one’s options are. If there were a well-documented process diagram, we might guess. Unfortunately, MCV seems to be a small company who sells to individuals who only pay less than $200 one time for hardware. The income stream isn’t directly tied to high server availability, process scrutability, rapid follow-up on bugs, or really anything other than overall reputation. If they charged us by the month, then the folks who work there could be better paid and they would have more cash for backup systems, etc.

It may be my glass-half-empty take on things, but z-wave seems to be in that unreal valley between open-source hardware/software that is often popular with do-it-yourselfers like us, and professionally-supported closed source systems. Z-wave isn’t open source, and the Vera controller, though based on open-source code, is not available for forking if MCV runs out of resources. Nobody profits directly when users get taken care of quickly. I, for one, would be willing to pay a monthly fee if service guarantees would come with that.

Just my $.02.[/quote]

Yes, I would consider paying for “premium notifications” service. sometimes the notifications like “motion alert” come so late, you might as well not receive it, the would be thieves would be long gone by the time you are notified :stuck_out_tongue:

There are various third party plugins that use your own ISP smtp servers, etc… and they seem to work much faster than what’s provided by VERA default. Also, every notification event should include actual date/time stamp of the event trigger so you know how long ago the event took place and how long it took you to get notified.

[quote=“JoeBR, post:45, topic:168998”]I, for one, would be willing to pay a monthly fee if service guarantees would come with that.

Just my $.02.[/quote]
I sounds as if Iris would better suit your needs.

Since not paying for the remote access service was a significant decision factor in my choosing Vera, I’m not at all interested in the mistaken belief that paying for service would make the service any better or more reliable.

There are services that I pay thousands per month for, that have thirty page SLAs, and still suffer outages. And when there is an outage, I receive a “high priority” recording that explains how important my call is to them and then disconnects the call after 30 minutes on hold. When the serviec works, it’s worth what I pay. The SLA and “support” are nearly worthless.

it sounds as if "there won’t be a “server status page”. So people will keep on banging their heads to their desk, is it my vera unit, is it bad password, is it the network, or is it something else… THere should be a radio button on main page of the UI5 that should be green when internet servers are fine and red when there’s a problem reaching them. Simple enough, or do I have to write a plugin for that? Is there an app for that :wink: