MiOS Server Status page ideas

MCV - Can you guys make a board called SYSTEM STATUS or some other section here that we can see the status of the MIOS tunnel servers. Every time MIOS servers go down, my client calls or sends an email complaining that he can’t get in. If I KNOW it’s the MIOS servers, I can simply state the facts…This would be a big help!

When a server problem arises we try to fix it as fast as possible, and this has priority over posting on the forums, which is why we do it after the problem is fixed.

Ooma has a very simple status page on twitter [url=http://twitter.com/#!/ooma_status]http://twitter.com/#!/ooma_status[/url].
MCV could easily do the same quickly and at zero cost to them…

I agree on the twitter idea as well, never used it before, but I would start if MCV would use it to notify of issues.

[quote=“wangzang, post:23, topic:168722”]It seems my problems were two fold. I had a beta build with a nasty bug in it. And mios.com was having issues on top of that.

I shouldn’t have downloaded the beta firmware as I’m not a beta tester.

A little bird told me how to fix the problem. Now I’m on the most current beta now and everything seems to be working as expected.

I was even able to change the network settings. And even set them back to default! \o/

Next time I encounter a nasty problem, I’ll email support instead of posting about it on the forum first.

I second the twitter feed idea. It only takes a moment to say “we were made aware of an issue and are working on it.” It goes miles for customer appreciation/understanding.

It’s good to be back.

Also, how does one become an official beta tester? :)[/quote]

BUT, what happens if the issue is longer than expected, lets say 2 hours or maybe even 6 hours. It takes 1 min to post to twitter or the forums MIOS SERVER STATUS page. Saves you guys lots of support inquiries, saves us headaches and saves resellers of Vera phone calls from their clients. It’s a win/win for everyone…

BUT, what happens if the issue is longer than expected, lets say 2 hours or maybe even 6 hours. It takes 1 min to post to twitter or the forums MIOS SERVER STATUS page. Saves you guys lots of support inquiries, saves us headaches and saves resellers of Vera phone calls from their clients. It’s a win/win for everyone…[/quote]
Ditto!

Ditto, Ditto,

Such a simple idea and I almost dont beleive that the benefit of a status page or similar (thats kept updated) isnt seen by MCV as a benefit to prevent tons of support calls.

Also, I thought somebody was hired especially within MCV to monitor the forum and keep it updated?!

+1

Other shops do it too; example attached. :slight_smile:

To All,

Just a thought, for all those who run whatsapp communicator, you might know they give statusupdates on their service so if something fails, you van see if the network or service is actually up.

I would think this a usefull option in the new UI coming up, since it gives us a unified look and feel for remote and local operation.

Maybe MCV can incorporate “trafficlight indicators” for important services like

1. Notifications up, down or disrupted
  2. Mios remote up, down etc
  3. Timesybchronisation ok / failed

Does such a proposal make sense?!?

Henk

while notifications would be great (aside from the current nofication flood fiasco) i would prefer the ‘optional’ (yeah right) service just be more reliable. This problem is probably why other companies have a standalone offering, and then tack on this type of ‘service’ as an extra, which users would choose to pay for, therefore affording the company funds to use and a reason to scale.

Really? Would it be that hard?? I’m a programmer/network administrator/IT Administrator for a company here in Las Vegas… How freakin hard would it be to put an iframe in the vera interface with a status message if it cannot connect to the vera servers or if there is another error? Lack of such a feature is completely UNACCEPTABLE and the excuse about time is completely lame… Hell I could write a JAVA app for your telephone that you could update the file in about 30 seconds… I mean really??? Is this company run by professionals or a bunch of lazy highschoolers???

When a server problem arises we try to fix it as fast as possible, and this has priority over posting on the forums, which is why we do it after the problem is fixed.

I probably speak for many here in saying we appreciate the efforts in beefing up these servers and making them more reliable, but you guys really need a twitter account or some system status page on your site where we can login to find this info if the MIOS servers are down.

As a reseller of Vera, I just can’t keep getting calls all the time when a client has trouble connecting to their Vera. Just my 2 cents…

I fully agree and did my own proposal on that here:
http://forum.mios.com/index.php?topic=7204.msg46545#msg46545

Its just one of many possible solutions, but we need a "dashboard somewhere somehow that informs us on availablitiy of services!

If anyone agrees, let MCV know by stating so in this forum!

• Henk

[quote=“myhomeserver, post:12, topic:168998”]I probably speak for many here in saying we appreciate the efforts in beefing up these servers and making them more reliable, but you guys really need a twitter account or some system status page on your site where we can login to find this info if the MIOS servers are down.

As a reseller of Vera, I just can’t keep getting calls all the time when a client has trouble connecting to their Vera. Just my 2 cents…[/quote]

+1 twitter

+1 … the unused company blog!!!

Twitter, Hell No!

Create a simple status webpage…

status.mios.com

[quote=“Mitchell, post:16, topic:168998”]Twitter, Hell No!

status.mios.com …[/quote]which could read the status from the twitter feed. Or the other way 'round.

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.471844,-122.229209

[quote=“Mitchell, post:16, topic:168998”]Twitter, Hell No!

status.mios.com …[/quote]

as much as i dont ‘get’ twitter for personal use, this is a perfect use for it.
the twitter APIs are already in place and would be easy to implement.
additionally you dont have to be a member/twitter user to view a feed.

honestly i dont care how they do it.

I Never! use twitter.

I assume you have to join twitter to get the status then ?

Why depend on a 3th server/service for just a status readout… ridiculous imho

[quote=“Mitchell, post:19, topic:168998”]Why depend on a 3th server/service for just a status readout… ridiculous imho[/quote] I agree.

We used to receive an automatic TXT with UI2 & findvera.com if Vera went offline (for those that remember that)

Your Vera #XXXX is down. Automatic message sent at 14-12-2009 06:00:01
But to get a notification if the Mios servers are offline would require Vera to generate it. I suggest Vera should have her own notification server built in.

JOD.