MIOS Acquisition

Nice vison. Never achievable, but a nice vision.

Maybe first accomplish goals of “works with all zwave devices that were on the market the prior calendar year” and “works with all ZigBee HA devices for the spec released the prior year” before you try to drain the IoT ocean.

I think most of us would be reasonably satisfied if we knew that vera would support devices within 12ish months.

I was digging around a bit for some more info on eZLO and what we might expect for the future of Vera.

They have a controller hub on the Z-Wave Alliance site, with a full user manual.

Seems a company called ZLINK (www.zlinkproducts.com) partnered with eZLO for a small USB Z-Wave hub device. Article here.

eZLO Facebook page has a store selling the eZLO hub for $99 and other Z-Wave devices from various manufacturers.

These two products from the eZLO site I didn’t see on the Z-Wave Alliance product catalogue.

eZLO Atom USB Hub
eZLO Plug Hub

There is an eZLO app in the Play and iTunes stores but you can’t do anything with it, without setting up one of their hubs, no demo mode etc.

There are eZLO and ZLINK Alexa skills listed on Amazon.com

Doesn’t look like any of their hardware hub products are for sale on any main stream sites, can be seen on that Facebook page for sale.

And someone is selling them in China on Alibaba here.

“What is eZLO?” video here.

eZLO Youtube channel with various other videos I’ve not watched yet.

So new Vera will be based on these types of cheap low cost devices presumably from what’s been said on the forum. Cheap isn’t usually good if it means slower and not powerful enough. I just hope it doesn’t all go cloud dependent or get too expensive with monthly subscription costs or I’m out. I’d rather pay more upfront for the controller hardware as we have been doing.

Is cheap good if its faster, more powerful, more stable?

Is cheap good if its faster, more powerful, more stable?[/quote]

I’ll believe it when I see it. If the replacement controller for my current Vera Plus unit does that. :+1:

I’ll believe it when I see it. If the replacement controller for my current Vera Plus unit does that. :+1:[/quote]

Interesting…

when it comes to “not believing” you want to do that now…
when it comes to “believing” you want to wait on that…

And both are about a future event :slight_smile:

Here’s my $.02 for what it’s worth. The market has dramatically changed with Google/Nest and Amazon/Ring’s entries into the marketplace. I think that the consumer market for Vera and many of the other competitors is going to rapidly disappear because of thiiis. I see two paths for ezlo/Vera:

[ol][li]Strip down the vera experience to make it the best non-IP/non-Thread adapter in the market and integrate it deeply into the Nest environment. That means forgetting about Vera itself being a true hub. But this is a market nobody is currrently filling and seems to fit with ezlo’s minimalistic hub support. If a stripped down Vera could present to Google Assistant all the Z-Wave/Insteon/Bluetooth devices that can’t currently get to the Nest environment and expose the commands Vera knows as Google Assistant actions this would be extremely valuable and unique in the market. Since Google/Nest seems to be betting on only IP/Thread there’'s less likelihood that Gooogle/Nest would complete with such a device too. [/li]
[li]Focus on commercial units and in particular work to deal with multi-unit residential. Nest/Google and Amazon/Ring don’t really service this market well. For example, I need one camera but multiple buttons for a multi-unit entryway. .I need dedicated feeds to only the triggered unit for these video feeds. I need the ability to delegate entry/exit for tenants but retain comprehensive control as the landlord. I need to comply with legal limiitations on my ability to observe my tenants behavior (enty/exit, etc.) while retaining the ability to gain entry when needed and montior common spaces. This is a significant market that is unique and requires software that Google/Nest and Amazon/Ring are unlikely to develop anytime soon.[/li][/ol]

I’ve been a user of Vera for years and have multiple units but I’ve also recently install 2 Nest Alarm systems and I can say that the Nests are what I would recommend for most homeowners. But these 2 situations I’ve outlined are both issues for me that aren’t addressed and I don’t think I’m alone. Not sure if any of this aligns with your business plans but I think the reality that the big guys are going to take the core market is upon us so finding useful niches is essential![quote=“melih, post:205, topic:199656”][quote=“cw-kid, post:204, topic:199656”][quote=“melih, post:203, topic:199656”][quote=“cw-kid, post:202, topic:199656”]Cheap isn’t usually good if it means slower and not powerful enough.[/quote]

I’ll believe it when I see it. If the replacement controller for my current Vera Plus unit does that. :+1:[/quote]

Interesting…

when it comes to “not believing” you want to do that now…
when it comes to “believing” you want to wait on that…

And both are about a future event :)[/quote]

Melih, can you tell us:

[ul][li]When will there be a new Vera firmware?[/size][/li]
[li]What ZWAVE devices are on the current roadmap to be natively integrated in Vera?[/li][/ul]

I appreciate you passionate way of describing what Ezlo is wanting, but I would like to have some concrete results.

After all, we, the community (vera) ALL own a Vera and I would like to know what is going to happen there!

Thank you.

[quote=“Sender, post:207, topic:199656”]Melih, can you tell us:

[ul][li]When will there be a new Vera firmware?[/li]
[li]What ZWAVE devices are on the current roadmap to be natively integrated in Vera?[/li][/ul]

I appreciate you passionate way of describing what Ezlo is wanting, but I would like to have some concrete results.

After all, we, the community (vera) ALL own a Vera and I would like to know what is going to happen there!

Thank you.[/size][/quote]

too early for me to commit to dates I am afraid.
we are working flat out.
As soon as we have dates, we will be happy to share.

[quote=“melih, post:208, topic:199656”][quote=“Sender, post:207, topic:199656”][size=14pt]Melih, can you tell us:

[ul][li][size=14pt]When will there be a new Vera firmware?[/size][/li]
[li][size=14pt]What ZWAVE devices are on the current roadmap to be natively integrated in Vera?[/size][/li][/ul]

[size=14pt]I appreciate you passionate way of describing what Ezlo is wanting, but I would like to have some concrete results.

we are working flat out.
As soon as we have dates, we will be happy to share.[/quote]

You only answer 1 question

[quote=“Sender, post:209, topic:199656”][quote=“melih, post:208, topic:199656”][quote=“Sender, post:207, topic:199656”][size=14pt]Melih, can you tell us:

[li][size=14pt]What ZWAVE devices are on the current roadmap to be natively integrated in Vera?[/size][/li][/ul]

[size=14pt]I appreciate you passionate way of describing what Ezlo is wanting, but I would like to have some concrete results.

we are working flat out.

You only answer 1 question[/quote]

Sorry about that:

To your question 1: too early for me to commit to dates I am afraid.
To your question 2: too early for me to comment.

hope this clarifies :slight_smile:

[quote=“melih, post:210, topic:199656”][quote=“Sender, post:209, topic:199656”][quote=“melih, post:208, topic:199656”][quote=“Sender, post:207, topic:199656”][size=14pt]Melih, can you tell us:

we are working flat out.

Sorry about that:

hope this clarifies :)[/quote]

Not at all ???

But I am used to these type of answers from Vera :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Sender, post:211, topic:199656”][quote=“melih, post:210, topic:199656”][quote=“Sender, post:209, topic:199656”][quote=“melih, post:208, topic:199656”][quote=“Sender, post:207, topic:199656”][size=14pt]Melih, can you tell us:

we are working flat out.

Sorry about that:

hope this clarifies :)[/quote]

Not at all ???

But I am used to these type of answers from Vera :P[/quote]

I just bought the company, i am trying to re-structure it. Its a big task. We doubled the development resources. It now has become literally the biggest Research & Development lab in the world in the home automation market. You are asking me to provide dates for the output of this engine. I do not have it yet. Its too early for me to do that and it would be irresponsible of me to throw out dates without having a proper analysis behind it. One thing you can be sure of, i will always give you facts, whether you like it or not.

melih,

Thanks for all the open communication. Totally understand restructuring will take time, and while it will take a while to convince everyone, the good news is there is an active community here that wants you to succeed! Hopefully you can find a way to use them as the third party community is the thing that has kept many of us hanging on a vera.

All the best and welcome,
x

[quote=“xeinth, post:213, topic:199656”]melih,

Thanks for all the open communication. Totally understand restructuring will take time, and while it will take a while to convince everyone, the good news is there is an active community here that wants you to succeed! Hopefully you can find a way to use them as the third party community is the thing that has kept many of us hanging on a vera.

All the best and welcome,
x[/quote]

100%. We have an amazing community and it will be the pillar of our success in the future!

Personally, I don’t look for cheap. I look for a product that has a balance of quality and price that meets my needs. Also, I avoid monthly expenses when every I can.

Personally, I don't look for cheap. I look for a product that has a balance of quality and price that meets my needs. Also, I avoid monthly expenses when every I can.

I am with you on this. I absolutely hate the Monthly expenses model. I would suggest Vera to make the monthly expense optional (like for some add-on services). If user really need that service then pay for the monthly service like what Apple is doing for iCloud storage.

Have you purchased an iPhone lately? Bigger, faster, but WAY more expensive. The day will come when a million people watch the introduction of the Apple “iHub” live. Available next week. $399.

iPhone pricing creeps up slower than you think.

iPhone 6s $650-750 (16-64gb). 2015
iPhone XR $750-899 (64-256GB). 2018.

Note that cost is the same for the 64GB models. The XR is a lot more phone than a 6s and even our low rate of inflation means today’s $750 is worth less than $750 3 years ago.

Prior iPhones were subsidized by carrier contract so determining the US cost of an iPhone was hard. But even then, subsidized 4s pricing ran from $200-400 (16-64GB) in 2011.

and lets not forget that Apple support their HW for 4-5 years, unlike most Android OEM’s who on average support their gear for up to 18 months if you are lucky - then it becomes abandonware!

Actually I want to buy some Philips Hue Play and Signe as they will became available.
Shall I but the Hue bridge or is it worth waiting?