Low cost contact (door/window) sensors working with VeraPlus

If you have a moment, can you let me know what contact sensors you are using and roughly how much you paid (and even where you got them). All I found was one on this list:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Supported_Hardware

And one on the official list:

http://getvera.com/compatibility/

Heck, if you have time, maybe you can add your device(s) to the wiki as well.

Thank you so much in advance!

I use fibaro door/window sensors on all my doors… they don’t really fall into the low cost category though at ?40(GBP) each from vesternet. They do work well though, never really had a problem with them.

There’s a post on here somewhere from someone who used a string of ‘normal’ window sensors wired in series and connected to a fibaro binary sensor to give a cheaper way to cover a bank of windows.

I don’t know who, if anyone, has access to alter the Wiki.

By “contact sensors” I presume you mean things like door/window sensors. Almost any Z-Wave door/window sensor will work with Vera. I can’t think of any that don’t work. If there are any, they will be a multisensor type where they not only have a door/window sensor but also temperature or light level reporting.

Here are a few that are very small, for Z-Wave devices, as well as work reliably with Vera:
Schlage RS-100 Z-Wave Home Door and Window Sensor
Ecolink DWZWAVE2-ECO Door/Window Sensor Identical to Schlage but without color covers.
Fibaro FGK-101 Door/Window Sensor White There are many other colors available. Pricy but excellent.
Aeon Labs Aeotec DSB29-ZWUS Door/Window Sensor, 2nd Edition
Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW089-A Recessed Door Sensor Gen5
The Everspring HSM02-0 Z-Wave Door / Window Sensor has been reported to have battery issues, but I can’t confirm that.

There are many other -Wave sensors available as well.

With the release of the Vera Plus which has Zigbee support, there will likely be a few Zigbee door/window sensors that also work with Vera. But it is too early to tell which ones do and do not work. Zigbee devices are not assured to work with Vera as there are many Zigbee protocol categories and proprietary implementations that Vera does not/will not support.

Zigbee sensors are typically more compact than the Z-Wave counter parts and are sometimes far less expensive. At this time, the only Zigbee door/window sensor known to work with Vera Plus is the NYCE NCZ-3011-HA ZigBee Door/Window Sensor. But that list will probably grow in time.

My personal favorite door/window sensors are:
Fibaro FGK-101 Door/Window Sensor White

I have the GE/Quirky Tripper Door/Window sensor working with VeraPlus. The Tripper is very reasonably priced, uses a cheap 2032 battery and is relatively small and attractive. It is a Zigbee device. One downside is that it doesn’t report battery level.

-bob

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:3, topic:191279”]I don’t know who, if anyone, has access to alter the Wiki.

By “contact sensors” I presume you mean things like door/window sensors. Almost any Z-Wave door/window sensor will work with Vera. I can’t think of any that don’t work. If there are any, they will be a multisensor type where they not only have a door/window sensor but also temperature or light level reporting.

Here are a few that are very small, for Z-Wave devices, as well as work reliably with Vera:
Ecolink DWZWAVE2-ECO Door/Window Sensor Identical to Schlage but without color covers.
Fibaro FGK-101 Door/Window Sensor White There are many other colors available. Pricy but excellent.
Aeon Labs Aeotec DSB29-ZWUS Door/Window Sensor, 2nd Edition
The Everspring HSM02-0 Z-Wave Door / Window Sensor has been reported to have battery issues, but I can’t confirm that.

There are many other -Wave sensors available as well.

With the release of the Vera Plus which has Zigbee support, there will likely be a few Zigbee door/window sensors that also work with Vera. But it is too early to tell which ones do and do not work. Zigbee devices are not assured to work with Vera as there are many Zigbee protocol categories and proprietary implementations that Vera does not/will not support.

Zigbee sensors are typically more compact than the Z-Wave counter parts and are sometimes far less expensive. At this time, the only Zigbee door/window sensor known to work with Vera Plus is the NYCE NCZ-3011-HA ZigBee Door/Window Sensor. But that list will probably grow in time.

My personal favorite door/window sensors are:
Fibaro FGK-101 Door/Window Sensor White
Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW089-A Recessed Door Sensor Gen5[/quote]

Thank you Z-Waver! Very thorough and awesome list!

[quote=“rbakley, post:4, topic:191279”]I have the GE/Quirky Tripper Door/Window sensor working with VeraPlus. The Tripper is very reasonably priced, uses a cheap 2032 battery and is relatively small and attractive. It is a Zigbee device. One downside is that it doesn’t report battery level.

-bob[/quote]

Thank you Bob! Good to know!

I bought two of these from Monoprice. On eBay right now for $20.99 or Amazon for $22.39

Monoprice 10795 Z-Wave Door and Window Sensor - NO LOGO

Both work fine. I bought the first one several months ago and it was fine on my Vera Lite. I bought another and both have been on my Vera Plus since I got it and both are working good. There is two screws inside the contact if you want to use a regular contact from an alarm system.

Jim

[quote=“jbfoster, post:7, topic:191279”]I bought two of these from Monoprice. On eBay right now for $20.99 or Amazon for $22.39

Both work fine. I bought the first one several months ago and it was fine on my Vera Lite. I bought another and both have been on my Vera Plus since I got it and both are working good. There is two screws inside the contact if you want to use a regular contact from an alarm system.

Jim[/quote]

Thank you Jim!!

[quote=“VeraDad, post:8, topic:191279”][quote=“jbfoster, post:7, topic:191279”]I bought two of these from Monoprice. On eBay right now for $20.99 or Amazon for $22.39

Jim[/quote]

Thank you Jim!![/quote]

Your Welcome

Has anyone had any luck / experience with GoControl sensors?

It seems like the cost per sensor is pretty good if you buy them in one of these kits, plus you get the motion sensor or motion sensor and alarm for just a bit more:

2 contact sensors and 1 motion sensor for ~$43
(GoControl WNK01-21KIT Z-Wave Essentials Wink Enabled Security Kit)
Amazon Link: http://goo.gl/64885T

3 contact sensors, 1 motion sensor, 1 strobe/alarm for ~$81
(GoControl WNK01-311KIT Z-Wave Premium Wink Enabled Security Kit)
Amazon Link: http://goo.gl/omu0N2

What do you think?

Thanks for all the help!

[quote=“VeraDad”]Has anyone had any luck / experience with GoControl sensors?

It seems like the cost per sensor is pretty good if you buy them in one of these kits, plus you get the motion sensor or motion sensor and alarm for just a bit more:

What do you think?

Thanks for all the help![/quote]
I got a two pack and motion. When I first bought the package the Vera saw the door sensors as motion. Since then there was since a firmware update and they now work as intended. They are kind of a pain to pair at first, but they work well. Additionally the motion sensor appears to be the same internals as the monoprice. However, the Vera doesn’t show the temperature sensor.

Also you can sometimes find these sets on clearance at home depot.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

[quote=“MLeBaugh, post:11, topic:191279”][quote=“VeraDad”]Has anyone had any luck / experience with GoControl sensors?

What do you think?

I got a two pack and motion. When I first bought the package the Vera saw the door sensors as motion. Since then there was since a firmware update and they now work as intended. They are kind of a pain to pair at first, but they work well. Additionally the motion sensor appears to be the same internals as the monoprice. However, the Vera doesn’t show the temperature sensor.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Thank you MLeBaugh! Did you get this exact GoControl set?

[quote=“VeraDad”][quote=“MLeBaugh, post:11, topic:191279”][quote=“VeraDad”]Has anyone had any luck / experience with GoControl sensors?

What do you think?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Thank you MLeBaugh! Did you get this exact GoControl set?[/quote]
Yup, the exact set from Amazon. Shows the "you purchased this item… " after clicking your link.

Very cool. You’ve gotta love Amazon… of course it’s a little annoying when they keep asking me if I want to buy more Kleenex. :wink:

Do you happen to know (or can you measure) the dimensions of the magnet part? I have a double slide window (both sides open) and I want to make sure it would be slim enough to bit between the two windows on the back pane when opened.

Thanks!

I’d offer to measure them for you, but the locations I have them in is odd and I didn’t use the stock magnets and don’t know where they are.

One is on my fence outside, I have a large magnet attached as the tripper since the wood is very warped and doesn’t line up. The other is on a set of windows with a wired Reed switch so I can watch both windows with one sensor. I used the magnets from the reed switches for both…

NM found them in the reed switch bag. 1/2"

[quote=“MLeBaugh, post:15, topic:191279”]I’d offer to measure them for you, but the locations I have them in is odd and I didn’t use the stock magnets and don’t know where they are.

One is on my fence outside, I have a large magnet attached as the tripper since the wood is very warped and doesn’t line up. The other is on a set of windows with a wired Reed switch so I can watch both windows with one sensor. I used the magnets from the reed switches for both…

NM found them in the reed switch bag. 1/2"[/quote]

Thank you again! Super helpful!

So how did you get yours to work outside? Did you use them as is or do something special to protect it?

Thanks again!

I just used it as is. I doubt it will last forever. It’s been out there for about 6 months snow and rain. The sensor itself sits at the front of the case unlike others so it would have to get really wet to get into the electronics. Plus the case itself sits fairly snug. If anything the front led hole is the weak point, some silicone should solve that… I’ll add that to the to do list.

Awesome!

Here’s a set of 4 at Lowes (Item #: 773914 | Model #: 773914) for $60.

http://goo.gl/gippEV

But I’m not sure if they are old or new iris / work with vera. Anyone have these?

Thanks!

It looks like the older model. The new one is called “Iris Contact Sensor” model# 3320-L. The older one is called “Iris Indoor Window and Door Sensor.” They also look different in the pictures.