Leviton Scene control - strange

Hi! First post! :slight_smile:
Just refitted the whole condo with a mix of Evolve switches and 3 Leviton 4 button scene controllers (the ones with local load control) don’t remember the exact model. Running Vera 3. Had some hassle adding the scene controllers, but read the instructions about the “programming mode” and after that all seems running well. However, I created some scenes, in some cases they include regular switches and dimmers to be set to a certain level. When I run the scenes off Vera3, all is great and work as supposed to. Obviously the same thing off the iPhone. However, after assigning scenes to buttons, I get strange behaviour:

• In case of a scene where a light is to get turned on on one switch, and dimmer to be set to full, I only get the light to get to turn on, no reaction from the dimmer.
  • In other case, where I do “house off” the other controller would turn all the lights but one off.

Generally the behaviour is not very consistent. Seems like to toggle scene on, I have to press once, to toggle off, I have to double tap. Not sure exactly what I’m doing wrong. Pretty certain that scenes are fine, since I can tell vera to run it and it’s ok.

Are there any detailed instructions about Leviton and vera scenes? Anything I should read? Some of the stuff is confusing on the on and off state of the scene in Leviton etc.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

With two years of experience with every version of Vera hardware and software I feel qualified to tell you (and it brings me no pleasure to do it): what you are experiencing is the expected behavior.

Thanks for the reply. Wow, that’s no good. The strange thing is that the scenes are fine, responsive and all with just Vera so something tells me it’s how either Leviton is handling the scenes or Vera assigns the scenes to buttons or me doing something strange with the programming. However, I start to lean towards placing iPod touches in the rooms with controls. Possibly mounting them on something like iPort or something like that.

Leviton makes two kind of controllers… Scene and Zone. The zone controllers are basically eight switches (4 rocker switches) which you can assign lights on and lights off to each of the four rockers. (you can actually assign any scene to the on or off postion). THe scene controllers work very differently (just as you describe)… If you had Leviton switches and a Leviton remote I think they would behave like you would expect, but not in a mixed environment. I like the zone controllers better since they can made to behave as you would expect.

@oTi is the expert in this space… maybe he can add some additional info.

VRCS4-MRZ Vizia RF is what I have. Identified by vera as VRCSS. I presume this is a scene controller. So is this hopeless? I have another z-wave controller Wayne Dalton usb stick for mac, would that help if I assigned the scenes using that? I fail to see technically what the difference is between programming with different controllers. Maybe somebody can explain?

Thanks a lot

@dima237,

Welcome!

• Is it truly only Evolve devices and Leviton controllers, or are the devices a mix of brands? E.g., in your first example, are both the switch and the dimmer Evolve?

• Do you have multiple controllers control the same (group of) lights?

• Have you tried the minimal case where just a single controller controls a single Evolve?

Also, when you test this, make sure you allow some time for things to settle; i.e. only push the scene controller button once and wait at least 30 seconds or so, to see if you end up in the expected state, including LED behavior. Only then push the button again.

Thanks oTi@. Here is what I have:

ACT - Advanced Control Technologies - one 2 wire dimmer (due to lack of neutral in this particular spot)
All other switches and dimmers are Evolve. three 4 button Leviton scene controllers I described, 2 Shlage Trane ZWave Thermostats and Vera3 as controller. The other USB controller is just sitting in my drawer (off and not participating). Only one of the 4 button control is connected to local load, the other two just act as scene controllers.

I can do some specific testing when I get home and describe the behaviour in more detail. What else would you need to know to be able to diagnose this? What type of scenes I am running etc? I could give you access to my vera if you want :slight_smile:

Maybe pick the VRCS4 that has the local load connected.

Set up a scene that turns on the ACT; say with button 1.
Set up a scene that turns on an Evolve; say with button 2.
Set up a scene that turns on the local load; say with button 3.

See if it works as expected. (As said, go slow between button presses.)

Sorry guys, was away for a couple of weeks. Will be doing some experimenting and reporting shortly.

I have to agree. Mine never have worked properly with Vera. Funny that they programmed flawlessly with Think Essentials which is what I used before Vera. Leviton must be holding something proprietary.

Noticed the same behavior, sometimes needing to turn off the scene with a doubletap. The following steps solved the problem for me, for now:

• set all devices in related scenes, including the local load switch on the leviton scene controller to Automatically Configure=Yes
  • removed all triggers and scene assignments from the scene controller. Confirm and saves, verify all buttons unassigned on the scene controller
  • re added the scenes assignment using the Devices, Scene controller, Scenes tab, scenes drop down for on and off
  • check Automatically turn on/off the scene indicator lights

The scene lights and activating/deactivating scenes with the same button work now. Note, sometimes it takes a while (30sec) after the scene button has been pressed to when the scene light registers. Only then can you deactivate the scene. Otherwise sometimes it gets confused and you’ll have to double Click the scene button to turn off eascene.

My system contains the Jasco switches, Leviton load scene controller, evolve scene controller, and assorted jasco plug modules.

Leviton scene controllers - they are great - if they are programmed correctly.

I have a mix of Evolve, older ACT, Leviton, GE switches and GE outlets- so I feel your pain.
You have a few options if you want more instantaneous reaction/control of your lights- which means direct association not through Vera. Sadly, both of these options involve programming the lights using Leviton products- they are holding out on us!

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=38971&minisite=10251 + http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-VRUSB-1US-Vizia-Installer-Tool/dp/B0050T2ODM

or

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-VRCPG-0SG-Handheld-Controller-Programmer/dp/B001HT4MK2

One thing to remember- if the Leviton scene controllers are controlling anything other than Leviton devices in one scene (mixed manufacturers- not sure about Cooper Aspire), the scene buttons must be set to ON/OFF only. For whatever reason- perhaps b/c of the Leviton patent on 2 way communication, scene dimming will cause the operation (button programming) to fail.
For example:
If you assign three Leviton devices to a Lev Scene Controller Button #1, you can dim or on/off. If you assign 2 Evolve controllers to Button #2 you will need to be sure its On/OFF.

These operations will work through Vera (I don’t have them set up this way) or set up via a Leviton controller. The problem with using a Leviton controller is that either Vera is not primary (which you need to program zwave locks for example) or you have to set up the network using the Leviton controller and transfer primary to Vera after you configure them.

If you do decide to go the route of direct programming your scene controllers and transferring to Vera don’t forget to turn off "auto-configure’ of the scene controllers in Vera or your programming will be overwritten and you will loose the direct associations.

[quote=“jsed, post:12, topic:170832”]For whatever reason- perhaps b/c of the Leviton patent on 2 way communication, scene dimming will cause the operation (button programming) to fail.[/quote]This is an old thread, but remember that is a Lutron patent. Not Leviton.

Leviton controllers can trigger scenes in Vera to control non-scene-capable items. Just create the scene, assign the button to trigger it, and Vera should do the rest.

VRCZ4-M0Z works fine for me including process and associating scenes very easy.

MRCS4-MRZ (with the local switch) does not work fine with vera. Please see

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14309.0.html

[quote=“gengen, post:15, topic:170832”]MRCS4-MRZ (with the local switch) does not work fine with vera. Please see

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14309.0.html[/quote]Exchange it for a new switch. It appears Leviton had some different firmwares, and some work, some don’t.

I have the scene controller with switch, and the first one didn’t work, but the exchanged one did.

Exchange it for a new switch. It appears Leviton had some different firmwares, and some work, some don't.

I have the scene controller with switch, and the first one didn’t work, but the exchanged one did.

I had already called the Leviton tech support number and the guy who responded said that you needed a Leviton controller or Z-Stick. I specifically asked if there was a firmeare version difference or if different units behaved differently and he said no.

The unit I have shows version 7,2,67,0,2 in the Vera setting screen with Capabilities: 211,134,0,2,1,0,L,R,|45,114,115,119,124,130,133,134,145,

Does yours show a different version?

[quote=“gengen, post:17, topic:170832”]

Exchange it for a new switch. It appears Leviton had some different firmwares, and some work, some don’t.

I had already called the Leviton tech support number and the guy who responded said that you needed a Leviton controller or Z-Stick. I specifically asked if there was a firmeare version difference or if different units behaved differently and he said no.

The unit I have shows version 7,2,67,0,2 in the Vera setting screen with Capabilities: 211,134,0,2,1,0,L,R,|45,114,115,119,124,130,133,134,145,

Does yours show a different version?[/quote]Tech support doesn’t always know. We went through this exact same thing a while back.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9117.0.html

My capabilities are different.
Capabilities 146,134,0,2,1,0,L,|45,114,115,119,124,130,133,134,145,
The “146” and “210” at the start seem to make a difference. Why, I have no idea.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9117.msg71779.html#msg71779

Even the Leviton programmer couldn’t include my zone controller with local load.

Hello. My first post to this forum. I have spent hours searching for the answer, found a bunch of clues in past threads but have come up short.

I have Vera3, latest firmware, all Leviton dimmers and Leviton 4-button scene controllers (no local load).

I have multiple scene controllers associated with one dimmer (simulate a 3-way switch).

My problem is that if I activate a scene (turn on one dimmer) with Controller A, Controller B doesn’t seem to be aware. LED are out of sync and I need to double press Controller B to get it to work. LED never seems to sync.

There seem to be work-arounds and clues but nothing definitive. Can someone help me solve this problem? Would turning on Polling help sync things? All my Leviton devices are set to Polling=0 (never poll).

I’m frustrated and don’t want to swap out and go to Zone Controllers (which people say solve this problem) given all the Scene Controllers I purchased already and flexibility they offer.

Thanks in advance for the help or for pointing me to a thread that answers this.

Polling is disabled by Vera for the Leviton’s, as they are instantly sending status updates to Vera, so there should not be a need for polling.

When you change the status of the dimmer on the dimmer itself, is the correct status shown in Vera?
If you run the scene from Controller A to change the status of the dimmer, is the correct status shown in Vera?

I'm frustrated and don't want to swap out and go to Zone Controllers (which people say solve this problem)[...]
Zone Controllers won't solve the problem. However, they have a separate on/off side to the buttons, so you can always turn things on or off; so it gets you around the double-press you'd have to do on a Scene Controller.

What model scene controllers are you using; specifically the suffix: e.g. VRCS4-M0, VRCS4-MR, or VRCS4-1L?