Leviton MRCZ4-MRZ -- Vera won't recognize local load when adding

@PurdueGuy and @stappy

I have 5 of the VRCZ4-MRX units and they all include and work fine. I have included and excluded with all version of Vera from Vera 2 to Vera 3 latest firmware. How do I check their firmware to help in diagnostics for you?

I’ve been meaning to do this forever, but I just haven’t.

I will pull mine from the wall today and replace it with a regular z-wave switch. Then I’ll get the codes from the stickers and see what they are.

I’ll put it in a standalone (table top) enclosure for testing.

I believe they keep the firmware the same, but to verify, here’s some info on mine. The red numbers may identify the firmware version.

[font=courier]Capabilities 146,134,0,2,1,0,L,|45,114,115,119,124,130,133,134,145,
Version 7,2,67,0,2
Manufacturer Leviton
Model VRCZC[/font]

@aschwalb,

Thanks for the offer of help. I’ll post the info from my devices when they arrive.
Just to recap: I sent 2 VRCZ4s and a handheld VRCPG back to Leviton because I couldn’t even get the switch part to pair using Leviton’s own programmer.
I sent the devices to Melville, NY but the package coming to me is from Nashville, TN so either my devices went for a ride or they are just sending me a whole new set. Either way, my hope is that I’m getting a set that will at least pair with Leviton’s controller and then I would bet they pair with Vera fine. That would suggest there is just a bad set of devices out there and @PurdueGuy probably has one. If they arrive and don’t work then it’s back to square one. ???

I removed the VRCZ4-MRZ and swapped in a regular light switch while I debug/investigate.

Mine has the following stickers:
vizia rf+ Cat No. VRCZ4 1800W (front plate)
267A10 (back)
1F41K0 (bottom)

I now have it in an enclosure sitting about 6 inches away from Vera, which is a Vera2 running 1.5.346.

After a reset (hold 1+3 until red), I can toggle the local load on/off with any of the 4 zone buttons (each press results in a brief red light blink).

Here are my steps:

• Reset controller (hold 1+3 until amber, keep holding until red, release)
  • Put controller in program mode (hold 1+3 until amber, release)
  • Tap z-wave button on Vera to put it in include mode
    (steady slow blinking z-wave light)
  • Vera dashboard display
    “Add/Remove : Add new devices now…”
    “Added node 66 Device: 77 Node found.”
    “Checking new device. One moment…”
    “Adding local load #1
    “Failed to go into learn mode. Retrying…” (around this time I get the z-wave light ‘fluttering’)
    “Add/Remove : Add new devices now…”
  • Waited a minute or so and tapped the z-wave button again to put Vera back in regular operation

I waited for the “Configuring Z-Wave devices” message to go away (meaning Vera did the “getting name, manufacturer, purging associations, setting special association” stuff.

At this point, I have one new device named “_4 button zone controller (scene)” with the following:
[font=courier]Capabilities 210,134,0,2,1,0,L,R,|114,115,119,130,133,134,145,
Version 7,2,67,0,2
Manufacturer Leviton
Model VRCZC
Neighbors
Configured at 3-APR-2012 18:37[/font]

No sign of the local load being added.

I captured the log during this time. I don’t see anything major, aside from the “failed to go into learn mode.” I do see a note “ZW_Send_Data node 67 NO ROUTE (nil)” and node 67 is the scene controller that was just added. However, I think that means there is no MiOS route (which there would not be yet), not that there is no z-wave route.

sigh ???

Purdueguy, that is my same experience and result. Followed same steps, and even tried other derivitives (holding button 2+4 to trigger add of local load). Seems like a Vera mios problem.

Package arrived from Leviton today. First, I noticed it seemed a little light. Opened it up to find they sent me one VRCZ4-M0Z. Yes, a zone controller without switch. :o ??? >:(
So now I need to contact Leviton and find out what is going on and where are my other devices not to mention they sent me the wrong device.

The quest continues …

Well I can for sure say it isn’t a generic Vera MIOS problem since it works fine for me and many others… I have seen the wont go into learn mode issue once before but that was when I was trying to do this via full power inclusion… (not sure that was the specific issue but some sort of correlation).

@PurdueGuy those are the correct steps (You DO NOT need to hit the 2+4 buttons as Donfleck1 did). The only other differences I can see is that I am now currently on Vera3 hardware (Pro and Lite). Although I did this on a Vera 2 initially with no problem (obviously older firmware at the time as well). Zwave on 3.2? Trying waiting much longer (5 minutes)

If the controller itself was properly added, but the automatic inclusion of the local load did not work, you should be able to include it separately with buttons 2+4, I believe.

[quote=“oTi@, post:49, topic:170209”]If the controller itself was properly added, but the automatic inclusion of the local load did not work, you should be able to include it separately with buttons 2+4, I believe.[/quote]When I do “2+4” I get a single amber blink on 1. Putting Vera in include mode hasn’t done anything. I assume you mean program just like before (hold 2+4 until amber, put vera in include mode, wait?).

I will attempt to try it again tonight and let it sit for a looooooong time and see what happens.

ARGH! I got closer than I’ve EVER gotten. No “Failed to go into learn mode this time”…and it showed a zone controller AND an appliance module.

I copied this from the dashboard: “Added node 58 Device: 83 Adding local load #1 Checking new device. One moment…Added node 71 Device: 83 Node found. Add new devices now”

So it’s weird that it added “node 71: Device 83” and then “node 58 Device: 83”

And then when I hit the z-wave button to bring Vera out of include mode, it went to “Unit busy” then “Configuring Z-wave devices” and the appliance module disappeared!! ???

And now the zone controller is device 85, altid 71…so weird!

My attempts to recreate it have failed, with “Failed to go into learn mode” and no local load.

Finally heard back from Leviton. The handheld controller is on backorder and they now realize they shipped me the wrong device. They are going to send me two VRCZ4-MRZs plus the VRCPG when they have stock. I get to keep the VRCZ4-M0Z they sent by mistake ;D.
So it seems like they just decided to send me all new devices so I can’t say if they even tested the switches I sent back.
Will let you know what happens when they arrive.

I caved and got the VRCPG when Amazon had it on Gold Box for me, since I can use it to assign AreaOn/AreaOff to the Monster scene controllers, and they work!

It has the newer firmware, maybe I’ll try the same as you with my switch, and then call Leviton to get it replaced. Maybe I can get a free controller out of the deal too! ;D

Included a new VRCS2 yesterday; automatically adding the local loads failed (I think because things timed out on the VRCS2 side), so I ended up with just the scene controller part. Successfully included the local loads manually after that (hold button 1 or 2 until amber).

Haven’t re-tried a VRCZ4-MR yet.

After waiting for Amazon to get them back in stock, I received a new VRCZ4-MRZ today.

I did the “hold 1+3 until amber” and put Vera in include mode…immediately found the device, added the local load, LUUP restarted, and I had 2 new devices! Worked exactly like it is supposed to.

So, since I moved to USB logging and swap file, I was curious if that had something to do with it. Tried the old switch, without luck. Same issues as before.

I really do think Leviton has a bad batch, and no clue what the cause might be. Bad firmware, bad batch of chips, etc. I’ll be returning the broken one for a refund.

[quote=“PurdueGuy, post:55, topic:170209”]After waiting for Amazon to get them back in stock, I received a new VRCZ4-MRZ today.

I did the “hold 1+3 until amber” and put Vera in include mode…immediately found the device, added the local load, LUUP restarted, and I had 2 new devices! Worked exactly like it is supposed to.

So, since I moved to USB logging and swap file, I was curious if that had something to do with it. Tried the old switch, without luck. Same issues as before.

I really do think Leviton has a bad batch, and no clue what the cause might be. Bad firmware, bad batch of chips, etc. I’ll be returning the broken one for a refund.[/quote]

@PurdueGuy Has your firmware updated?

The firmware for the device? It doesn’t look like it.
Vera is still running 1.5.346, Z-Wave 3.20. I have the date code (sticker) written down at home, but I can’t get to it now.

Old:[font=courier]
Capabilities 210,134,0,2,1,0,L,R,|114,115,119,130,133,134,145,
Version 7,2,67,0,2
Manufacturer Leviton
Model VRCZC
Neighbors
Configured at 3-APR-2012 18:37
[/font]

New:[font=courier]
Capabilities 146,134,0,2,1,0,L,|45,114,115,119,124,130,133,134,145,
Version 7,2,67,0,2
Manufacturer Leviton
Model VRCZC
Neighbors 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,12,15,20,24,25,28,29,36,37,41,42,43,46,55,56,57,58,59,62,64,65,68,69,77,79,80,83,84,85,97,
Configured at 1-MAY-2012 02:12
[/font]

The firmware for the device? It doesn’t look like it.
Vera is still running 1.5.346, Z-Wave 3.20. I have the date code (sticker) written down at home, but I can’t get to it now.

Old:[font=courier]
Capabilities 210,134,0,2,1,0,L,R,|114,115,119,130,133,134,145,
Version 7,2,67,0,2
Manufacturer Leviton
Model VRCZC
Neighbors
Configured at 3-APR-2012 18:37
[/font]

New:[font=courier]
Capabilities 146,134,0,2,1,0,L,|45,114,115,119,124,130,133,134,145,
Version 7,2,67,0,2
Manufacturer Leviton
Model VRCZC
Neighbors 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,12,15,20,24,25,28,29,36,37,41,42,43,46,55,56,57,58,59,62,64,65,68,69,77,79,80,83,84,85,97,
Configured at 1-MAY-2012 02:12
[/font][/quote]

@PurdueGuy actually I was thinking about Vera since there is a new Beta floating around, but good point in that the firmware on the switch didn’t change either…
Was thinking initially that maybe with your USB logging you have freed up some space to allow Vera (Linux) to perform a bit faster which would have leant credence to @oTi’s thought that maybe it was a timeout issue… But since you re-tried your old switch it still didn’t work… ???

[quote=“aschwalb, post:58, topic:170209”]@PurdueGuy actually I was thinking about Vera since there is a new Beta floating around, but good point in that the firmware on the switch didn’t change either…
Was thinking initially that maybe with your USB logging you have freed up some space to allow Vera (Linux) to perform a bit faster which would have leant credence to @oTi’s thought that maybe it was a timeout issue… But since you re-tried your old switch it still didn’t work… ???[/quote]The best “beta” I have is the public beta! ;D

And I tried the old switch a couple times just to be sure…no dice. I think there’s a bad batch out there, and it’s just (un)luck of the draw!

;D ;D ;D ;D

I receive the two replacement VRCZ4-MRZ devices from Leviton after sending mine in for warranty. Both devices were flawless through the inclusion process.
Hold down 1 + 3 on the device, put Vera into inclusion mode (I did battery mode), when the lights go out on the device leave the vera go for 30 sec or more, take Vera out of inclusion and hold near the device for another 30 seconds or so. Both the switch and the controller show up when Vera is re-powered.
That’s the way I did it and both devices included on the first attempt.
Vera 2, 1.5.346
Version of Leviton Switch: 7,2,67,0,2

I am now more convinced then ever that there are just a bunch of bad devices floating around.