Leviton MRCZ4-MRZ -- Vera won't recognize local load when adding

I have a Vera 3 with latest firmware (as of today), and about 15 leviton switches, three 4-botton MRCS4-MRZ Scene controllers with local load control, and one MRCZ4-MRZ 4-botton Zone controller with local load control. The scene controls have been a pain as far as reliability, but at least I could add to Vera the control device and separate local load device. However, I have only been able to add the scene controller for the zone controller mrcz4-MRZ; Vera never sees the separate local load device. I have read all the material on Vera wiki and forum, which has comments on the scene controllers, but not zone controller. I have tried every conceivable option to add, switching order of activating either Vera or leviton controller first. holding button 1 and 3 for five seconds brings add mode; this works resulting in addition of controller, but not local load. I read somewhere to then hold 2&4 button for local load add, but doesn’t work (only see button 1 led turn amber for a second or two). Do I have a bad switch?

I general i wish Vera would operate leviton controllers with more reliability. I can only control local loads via on and off scenes, with slow response waiting for Vera to send command (rather than switch store command for instant load control with button push, like it does before you add leviton to Vera).

Note that I was able to improve reliability a bit on scene controllers – when operating it’s built in local load load control – when pushing button – with the following Vera wiki suggestion. Note that local load control is always reliable and quick when using iPhone square HD app.

Quote begin:

Advanced debugging

If you find that a scene controller isn’t activating a light, then for the light (not the scene controller) you can set the variable:IgnoreDirectScene service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1 to the value: 1. You can do this either in the UI, or by opening this URL in your browser, substituting ‘ip’ for Vera’s ip and X for the device number of the light.
http://ip:3480/data_request?id=lu_variableset&DeviceNum=x&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1&Variable=IgnoreDirectScene&Value=1.

I dont have controllers with the local loads but I use many of the four button scene and zone controllers. Make sure you setup the associations under device options…create Four group id’s and associate the dimmers you want to control…this will allow the buttons to talk directly to the dimmers without the Vera…this works well for scene and zone control…the reliability issue comes from the Vera unit, it’s slow to respond on my unit. When you are done your scene can be set by holding down a scene button until it flashes…it then memorizes the current setting of each associated dimmer.
You may have already done this but if not give it a try…works great for me!
Regards
Tim Alls
Allseas Yachts

Thanks for detailed solutions. I will try this…

Do I set the group ID then check the box for “linked” device in the controller (pointing to light device), or in light device (pointing to 4-button control device via checked box)? Or do I do this in both, with each device referencing an association to other?

AFAIK, the scene and zone controllers should be similar. I do believe you can add the local load with buttons 2+4 (until button 1 blinks amber?).

What kind of devices are you looking to control? At least when it’s just the local load, or all devices that support scenes and associations (say, e.g., Leviton dimmers), the scene should get programmed directly in the devices. Could you try a scene that controls just the local load? The response should be immediate.

I recommend setting the scenes through Vera, so Vera knows about the scene, the scene number, etc. Setting the scene locally on the controller will only work with the gear that supports scenes; and I suspect the configuration can get wiped out by Vera, unless you configure Vera to not automatically configure the controller.

[quote=“oTi@, post:6, topic:170209”]AFAIK, the scene and zone controllers should be similar. I do believe you can add the local load with buttons 2+4 (until button 1 blinks amber?).

What kind of devices are you looking to control? At least when it’s just the local load, or all devices that support scenes and associations (say, e.g., Leviton dimmers), the scene should get programmed directly in the devices. Could you try a scene that controls just the local load? The response should be immediate.

I recommend setting the scenes through Vera, so Vera knows about the scene, the scene number, etc. Setting the scene locally on the controller will only work with the gear that supports scenes; and I suspect the configuration can get wiped out by Vera, unless you configure Vera to not automatically configure the controller.[/quote]

I have about 8 of the Leviton MRCZ4-MRZ and whenever I include them with Vera I get the controller and the local load added automatically. I do the put the Zone controller into include mode by hitting 1&3 till amber then putting Vera into include mode. I have never done the 2&4 buttons. When complete I get the local load device and a controller. I do then have to create a scene and put it on a button for the controller in order to control it though.

For the Leviton Controllers you have two choices:
One is to set up scenes in Vera and assign them to each button. This is the option you should choose if you want to add code to the buttons or other fancy ideas.
Two is to do nothing but associate the buttons to dimmers. (works best with all Leviton dimmers) With this otion, IMHO, you will get the quickest and most reliable responses. Vera should be set to NOT automatically update the controllers when you are done with the associations (Settings Tab). This is the way Leviton designed these controllers to work…they talk directly to the associated dimmers…no Vera required. You still can add scenes to Vera to set the dimmers to a selected value but I find that setting up scenes is quicker using method number two…walk around the room, set the levels, walk to the controller, press and hold the button, your done. My wife likes it better for sure!
Regards
Tim Alls

Tim, when you do association per your option 2, do you set the group I’d and association in the controller or in the dimmer (or in both, each referencing and pointing to the other, under same group ID)? Same question I had above. Thanks in advance.

Only in the controller. After saving the changes in the UI4 the associations are sent to the controller. Once this is done for all your controllers go to the settings tab for each controller and set the “configure” drop down selector to NO…other wise when Vera has a bad morning it will wipe out all the settings and you have to start all over (this has happened to me a couple of times)
The advantage to setting up these associations is the dimmer functions work correctly at the bottom of the four button controllers. This is an old bug that may have been fixed…
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

When configuring the scenes without Vera, I suspect you may run into issues when multiple controllers are associated with the same lights. I also suspect that (one-way) associating devices directly may affect LED behavior.

Note that when using scenes through Vera with devices that support scenes and associations, everything will be programmed by Vera, and the controller will be directly controlling the devices, and dimming will work. Any slowness, particularly in the LED updates, I believe, stems from Vera being one of the devices the controller is associated with (so there may be routing involved (assuming Vera is farther away from the controller than the devices being controlled), Vera being busy, etc.).

Donfleck1,

Have you had any success including the switch? I just installed an VRCZ-MRZ today and am havig the same issue. When I press 2+4, after 5 sec the top light turns amber. When I release, it blinks twice and then stops and Vera does not include it. The controller inludes fine.

Make sure you do buttons 2+4 on the controller first, so it is in inclusion mode, blinking amber on button 1; then start the inclusion on Vera. (I did verify this is still working (Vera 3 / UI5), by excluding and then including a local load.)

I have tried that way as well.
When I hold 2+4 the top light goes amber after 5 sec. As soon as I let go of 2+4, the amber light goes out after about one second. It does not go into a blinking mode. If I put Vera into inclusion mode after that nothing happens.
Doing a full reset on the VRCZ4-MRZ doesn’t change the behavior. I’m using Vera 2 with UI5 but I don’t think that matters since the switch simply isn’t going into inclusion mode.

I see. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the controller part might not be happy (from the controller’s point of view) and consequently you’re not allowed to include the local load. Does the controller work properly, as far as you can tell / is Configured set to 1 under Variables in the Advanced tab of the controller?

I guess you could try doing a Configure node right for the controller, then see if you buttons 2+4 lead to blinking button 1. If that doesn’t work try re-including (i.e. 1+3 until amber on controller, then Vera in inclusion mode). And if that doesn’t work try excluding and including the controller again.

I did not have any luck with the vrcz4-mr, and ended up removing. I will likely return if I can; just past 30 day purchase window. I tried all install options mentioned above, no luck getting the switch to be visible or recognized. Almost acted like a zone control without the switch.

I replaced the zone with a scene switch. At least it works, but my scene controllers are not that reliable even after setting associations.

Thanks oTi@,

I think you’re analysis is on the right track. Right after including the controller, Configured is set to 1. But after I attempt to link a controller button to a scene (under the Scene tab of the contoller glyph), the Configured parameter changes to -2. If I try to setup another button I get the dreaded “unable to get any information on node” under the glyph. Additionally, the scene does not activate when the button is pushed. However, the Vera GUI shows “Transmit was OK” under the controller glyph when a button is pushed.
I already have a non-switch VRCZ4 on my network which is working fine so I’m pretty confident that I am setting up the buttons/scenes correctly.

Experiment #2:
I have a Leviton handheld controller (VRCPG) which I use as a secondary on my network. I reset the VRCPG to make it primary again as well as reset the VRCZ4 and tried to include the device with the VRCPG according to the Leviton provided instructions. I still could not get the switch to be included. After including the VRCZ4 controller, the VRCPG tells me to hit a button on the “dimmer/switch”. I hit every button as well as 2+4 and nothing happened. Additionally, after having included the controller with the VRCPG, buttons 2+4 did not behave any different. The amber light would still go out about 1 sec after releasing 2+4.

At this point, I am leaning toward declaring it a defective device.

I too have a Leviton VRCZ4-MRX, and have had a hell of a time including it.

I get the Zone Controller added without any issue. When I was on UI4, it then it says “Adding local load” and LUA crashes. I started a thread on this a while back ( http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,7934.msg50805.html#msg50805 ) with no resolution, then I got busy with travel, holidays, etc.

Tech support says the logs never got uploaded to the server, since I rebooted (which I hadn’t). It looks like the LUA crash wipes out the logs and makes troubleshooting quite difficult.

Since I upgraded to UI5 and have had nothing but issues, I completely wiped the system last night, and am in the process of starting over. I’m going to try adding the switch under UI5 again and see what happens.

I originally thought the switch was defective (it may still turn out to be), but even a defective switch should NOT be able to crash the LUA engine.

I saw your previous thread when I did a search on the issue. Thanks for jumping in.

I have doubled down and ordered another VRCZ4-MRZ from a different vendor on the assumption that the device is bad and part of a bad batch. As long as I cannot get the device to include correctly using my Leviton handheld controller (VRCPG), I have to blame the device. If I could get it included correctly using the VRCPG then I’d certainly point the finger at Vera. Since there appear to be at least three of us with the same issue, if the device is bad it is probably a bad batch.

Since I have the Leviton VRCPG, I should be able to go through Leviton support and at least confirm whether or not the device is defective.

Mine is still in the wall, acting as a VERY expensive dumb switch to turn on/off a single light. I can’t include it to Vera because I lose control of the local load, and that’s the only light/switch by the garage door.

Since mine is still installed, I can’t check. Does the unit have any serial number/batch number on it to indicate production date?

Where are you ordering a new one from? Amazon is out of stock. Homeseer has them in stock (I’ve never ordered from there, but I know people here have).