Leviton MRCZ4-MRZ -- Vera won't recognize local load when adding

I ordered my new one from Amazon and it should be here tomorrow so I’ll have more news on Thursday. I guess I took the last one. My device has two stickers one has 1G41K0 and the other is 267A10. The latter one is also on the inside top flap of the box. Not sure if these are batch codes, firmware version or what.

Ah! So you snagged it! ;D

I went to order one, and it said 1-2 months…or from some other company, but if it might be defective, I want to buy from Amazon directly.

@stappy,

Interesting observations. Odd that the controller part doesn’t appear to work properly. Have you tried resetting the device, and disconnecting it from power for a moment? Then do the inclusions again. Is Vera near the controller (for test purposes)?

If indeed you can’t get the local load properly included with the VRCPG either, it certainly seems to point at the zone controller itself.

1G41K0 is the date code.

oTi@,

I think I need to start keeping a log book. I know I’ve done some combination of ressetting and throwing the breaker but the ordering is kind of fuzzy as I’ve tried so many things. I will try the ordering you suggest.
I have run an ethernet cable to the device so I could watch Vera during the include process. I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary but I not sure what I would be looking for.
I looked at the difference in Vera advanced settings between my working non-switch version and this device. It is fairly obvious that the new device is not being configure correctly.

The new device will arrive today. If it works fine then I can declare my current device defective. If not, then at least I can contact Leviton and find out what I’m doing wrong with the VRCPG. Maybe that will give some insight.

Well I have quite a few of these and have noticed that even though I have succesfully included the local load + zone controller to my new Vera 3 the local load quit working after a week or so on several of them. I never had this problem on Vera 2… Wondering if there is something getting corrupted in the conversation with Vera and these that a heal breaks?

I received the new device today with different date code and it acts the same as the previous. The following are the instructions from the Leviton ez-Learn video regarding inclusion of the device using the VRCPG with the most recent firmware

"Including 4-button combo controllers with the newest firmware is a simple automated process similar to standard controllers. From Step 2 in the Install Checklist, select Include Controllers. As with any 4-button controller, place the controller into program mode by holding down buttons 1 and 3 until all LEDs blink amber. Press begin on the remote to start including. The top button will blink green to verify inclusion.
Give the device a template or custom name and save. Once the node is verified as included, the remote control will recognize that the device is a combo controller and ask if you would like to include the dimmer or switch. Press the center button on the remote to indicate YES and the remote will, by default, include the top button on the controller as the switch control. The LED will blink amber and then green. Once included, you can name the switch using the template or a custom name. Save the information. With the newest firmware updates, this inclusion process is automated and it is not necessary to put the device into program mode by pressing buttons. If for any reason you make a mistake in this process and accidentally exit the menus without including the switch node, please refer to the earlier portion of this training module to include the switch manually. "

The device does not blink green after inclusion of the controller but the VRCPG believes it has been succesfully included. I am prompted by the VRCPG to include the switch. The top light on the controller blinks amber once and the VRCPG just times out. This seems to be the same issue Vera is having with the device. It thinks the controller included fine but the device does not.

Time to call Leviton support.

I just tried again under UI5. No joy on the local load.

Here is what was at the top of the screen while it was working (it goes backwards? kind of annoying)

Add new devices now... Failed to go into learn mode. Retrying.. Adding local load #1 Checking new device. One moment... Added node 28 Device: 32 Node found. Add new devices now... I end up with just the zone controller.

Spoke to Leviton tech support for about 20 minutes. As expected they ran me through all the things I had already done with no additional insight. He was as stumped as I am. After all, I have two different controllers (VRCPG and Vera2) and two VRZC4’s from different lot numbers and all combinations produce the same problem. (Without this forum, the only the common denominator would be me. ;D) In the end, we decided that I would send my VRCPG and my VRZC4-MRZ’s to Leviton and let them sort it out. That will be about a 2-4 week turnaround.

Darn…not the outcome I was hoping for!! I was hoping for some trick to get it to include just the local load. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is Leviton being nice and at least covering shipping?

Yes, that’s what I was hoping for as well. Or for the guy to say, “Ah yea, we’ve been having issues with these lately, send them in.”

I didn’t think to ask about shipping. The warranty on the instructions sheet states that I pay. It has to go to NY which is close for me but the insurance will cost more than the shipping cost. As long as I don’t get them back with a note that says “Unable to duplicate problem”. Hopefully, they will give some detail about the problem so I’ll have something useful to report.
That reminds me, I should but a Sharpie mark on the devices to see if I get different ones back.

You might have already done this, but have you created a fully separate network with the remote as the master?
Or is Vera master and the remote secondary (although depending on your firmware you can’t include from the secondary if it’s later).

I had fully reset my Leviton handheld remote (VRCPG) so that it was master. I installed a Leviton receptacle and included it using the remote. I then attempted to include the zone controller with switch. Basically, the simplest network I could come up with. The handheld remote appeared to think the zone controller installed fine, but the controller itself never gave a green light flash. The handheld then prompts me that this is a combo switch and asks to install the switch. When I push “yes”, the top light of the zone controller blinks amber twice and then that is it. The handheld then becomes “locked up” sitting there and waiting for the device. The cancel button does not work. I have to wait for it to time out or pull the batteries. The switch never gets included but I am able to use the handheld to set associations and control the one receptacle and it works fine. But if I hold buttons 2+4 to initiate a switch include, the top light goes amber but goes out immediatly after releasing 2+4 as opposed to blinking like it should.
The Leviton guy was pretty bothered that the controller was able to lock up the handheld. Perhaps the controller sends over some corrupted information or starts the process but doesn’t complete. Maybe this is related to crashing your Lua engine. The problem is that I don’t have any “known good” setup so everything is suspect. If I had one of these working the elimination process would be much easier.

This has become a quest.

Well let me know if I can help out in any way, or your Leviton guy wants another set.

I debated buying the Leviton remote so see if I can get any farther, but for now I will hold off.

Tonight I can pull mine out of the wall for the date code. And probably replace it with a dumb switch!

Sorry to hear of the problems with this controller…here is some food for thought:
I am using the Scene and Zone controllers with no local load and they work perfect. I use remote located dimmers to control my loads and then use the scene and zone controllers to set them where I want. Perhaps you could remove your single gang box and cut in a double…then use a dimmer and the controller next to it…this might be a flexible solution to get away from these compatability issues. The refitted box is pretty easy with drywall.
Good luck!
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

@stappy:

Any progress? I saw Amazon.com has some back in stock, and was debating trying out a new one, just to see.

I’ve sent the two VRZC4’s and my VRCPG back to Leviton and I am awaiting their return. I will certainly post the results when they do. I put a little mark on all the units with a Sharpie pen so I’ll know if they swapped them out or just sent me back the originals. In my letter to Leviton, I asked them to let me know what they find. I doubt I’ll get an explanation but one can always ask.

@PurdueGuy,

Did you buy them from Amazon? I just saw a thread started by @dima237 where the the device seemed to pair ok with the the local load.

I’m still waiting for mine to come back from Leviton.

[quote=“stappy, post:37, topic:170209”]@PurdueGuy,

Did you buy them from Amazon? I just saw a thread started by @dima237 where the the device seemed to pair ok with the the local load.

I’m still waiting for mine to come back from Leviton.[/quote]
I only have the one that I bought from Amazon. It looks like dima237 is using a VRCS4.
I haven’t tried again with the latest firmware, but since it failed with Vera and the Leviton programmer, I’m not hopeful!

Just got a UPS notification from Leviton. So my VRCZ4’s and VRCPG are on their way back. ;D They’ve had them for 6 weeks so hopefully I’ll get something more than “Could not replicate problem”
I should be able to install and attempt to pair them this weekend.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed. This is really annoying!