Kwikset vs. Schlage locks

I have searched the board many times and not found a solutions to the Schlage scheduling problem so it should be made clear to buyers that when selecting a Schlage or Kwikset, that with Schlage you will NOT be able to schedule a code for users on a weekly basis.

FOR EXAMPLE: you have cleaners coming every Friday and want to restrict their code to Fridays between the hours of 1pm-3pm. As of 1.1.1245 you cannot schedule this code with Schlage.

I believe you CAN do this with Kwikset… which makes me very much want a kwikset lever lock. Anyone want to trade? ;D

Bug# 1488.

Thanks oTI!

I did notice that on the steps to reproduce it says “daily” instead of “weekly”. I only mention it because I would like this fixed ASAP and don’t want MiCasaVerde confused if their daily scheduling works when they try to reproduce.

I just wanted to post an update on my kwikset lock issue. So I finally got around to calling Kwikset in regards to my deadbolt failing to respond to any commands. They sent out a new deadbolt and I swapped out the boards. Before putting the new board in, I compared it to the older board. I noticed that the old board had proto written on it as well as rev. x2. The new board has rev. 1.3 and also looks better made. I wonder if the older board was some kind of early production prototype. Anyway, installing the new board and including it to the network was a success. I did a heal on the network and the lock can see 20 neighbor nodes. So much better then the 3 neighbor nodes the older board was seeing. The lock works instantly when triggering commands from vera. I am still going to do some testing, but so far the newer board works a treat.

• Garrett

Why would you need two keypad locks on the same door?

The deadbolt is where the security is. You can replace the lever/knob with a passage (non locking) and have just as much security.

Haven’t seen many knob/lever locks yet that can’t be opened with a credit card or small screwdriver in seconds, they provide almost no security. A deadbolt on the other hand is extremely difficult to get around, particularly if you run long screws through the strike plate into the studs behind the frame.

[quote=“randman, post:32, topic:166542”]Well, for my deadbolt I got the Kwikset due to its motorized deadbolt. However, for the lever lock, I got the Schlage. In one of my doors, there is quite a bit of distance between the deadbolt hole and the lever lock hole. There’s enough distance to install the Schlage lever lock under the Kwikset deadbolt. The cover plate of the Schlage, which you need to remove to replace the batteries, pulls outwards (i.e. Towards you). But on the Kwikset lever lock, it looks like the cover plate has to be pulled upward to remove it. Pulling upwards won’t work since the deadbolt lock above it is in the way. In this door, there is enough room to put the Schlage lever lock under the Kwikset deadbolt but not enough room to put a Kwikset lever lock under the Kwikset deadbolt. The Schlage lever lock can be remotely locked and unlocked, like the Kwikset deadbolt. Fortunately, the satin nickel color of the Kwikset is close enough in color to the Schlage color (don’t recall what they call their version of the Satin nickel). Colors aren’t identical, but very close that unless you look at them in bright light and over-analyze it too closely, you won’t notice. Now, they both have different physical keys. Maybe there’s a way to have them use the same key? But that’s not a huge deal since the whole point is to have keyless locks.

Another reason I got the Schlage lever lock is that Radio Shack had them on sale. About 75% off!

In another door, there is not enough distance between the 2 holes, so I’ll just put a Kwikset deadbolt and a non-lockable door knob or lever.[/quote]

Same reason that everyone else without electronic locks put bot a lock and a deadbolt on their front doors… Sure, anyone malicious enough will get into any door regardless of 1 or 2 locks, but I’m used to having 2 locks, whether electronic or not.

Having 2 has helped in the past. I setup my Kwikset deDbolt so it doesn’t lock automatically after 30 seconds since there may be situations when the door might still be open after 30 seconds. The Schlage lever lock, if unlocked from the outside, will automatically relock. The cleaning crew and other people have a habit of forgetting to lock the deadbolt when they leave the house. After all in a normal non electronic deadbolt, yo cant lock it from the outside. So when People forget to lock the deadbolt at least there’s the lever lock as backup. So, lever lock isn’t absolutely necessary as you point out but it’s a nice to have, just like it’s nice to have on doors without any electronic lOcks or deadbolts.

I’m planning on few locks that play nicely with Vera - I’m sure lot of you have either a Schlage or a Kwikset or both - Please advice which one should I go for - or should I just get both and decide for myself? Thanks for your input.

I dont know which integrate better but as far as the deadbolts go if you are going to use them get the Kwikset. Schlages deadbolts are not motorized so if you forget to lock a door you cannot actually lock it remotely. Rather all you can do is trip it so the knob can be turned by someone. I have a few schlage doorhandle locks here and they are ok but again if they are unlocked it is mechanically engaged so the software cannot lock them, as far as I can tell anyways. I dont have them on a vera here at the office but they are the Z-Wave units. I have a Vera 2 at home controlling lights and my DSC alarm system and with my experience with these units here at work I am planning on purchasing the Kwikset locks. I could be wrong tho but from what I can tell if the Schlage door handle are mechanically ‘unlocked’ there is no way for the unit to override the unlocked state. Pair that with their deadbolts not being motorized and its an EPIC fail for Schlage because they seem to have cut corners in the design and added Z-wave as an after-thought.

Just my .02… Take it for what it is worth.

Kwikset for the reasons mentioned above.

I returned all my Schlage for the same reason, motorized deadbolts make all the difference!
Forgot to lock the door? Set the rule to auto lock after 2 minutes, or use the 30second timer built into the lock.
Kwikset 100%

I bought the Yale which also has a motorized deadbolt. Have not installed it yet, but like the look. It has an added bonus in that you can get a kwikset or Schlage compatible keyway for it.

http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?cPath=564_638&products_id=4673

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I’ll go ahead and get the Kwikset then :slight_smile:

Could someone please post a screenshot of how the interface looks in Vera for a Kwikset lock?

Am I able to create a temp code or a code lets say only works on certain day of the week or certain time? Any input will be very helpful.

Thanks to strangely :slight_smile:

I searched and found an Image that was uploaded previously - this is what I was looking for :slight_smile:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4121.0;attach=987;image

Hello All,
I saw a youtube video showing how easy it is to crack the kwikset lock using any of the set keys which come with them and a blank key stub. Isn’t this a very bad thing? Is the Schlage better from this standpoint? Here is the link to the video. So are the locks about the same or is the kwikset not as good since it can be hacked?

The youtube number is P-9YNcnegjY

Kwikset could very well be easier. But any standard lock can be picked easily. Just something to think about.

• Garrett

Another issue with the Kwikset locks is that anyone with physical access to the back of the lock can change a code since there is no master code required to make a code change when you have physical access to the lock. The first generation of these locks had no screws to secure access to the programming compartment. The second generation at least put screws on to make it more difficult. I’ve been moving to the Yale lock because of this issue.

I like to think that picking the Schlage would be more difficult, since the lock/knob is free to spin on the exterior. Also when you put the key in the tumbler will spin freely until you push the key in to engage the deadbolt. So even using the key it takes a decent amount of effort, and I can imagine what needing three hands to pick it would be like.

I agree that any lock can be picked and anyone determined enough is going to get into your house. With all these locks you probably need to pair them with an IP cam and a door sensor, otherwise there is no telling that your remotely lockable Yale or Kwikset lock is actually locking a closed door. Another thing to mention about all these locks is that it is so easy to lock when you leave, hit a button/turn a knob, that you never forget to lock the door…at least I don’t. I am the habit of always locking it, as it is just as easy to unlock when you return. I chose Schlage because I was an early adopter, but have stuck with it since it has a great battery life. I could see maybe needing a motorized throw on rear/back doors in some residences. Not that it is a valid worry, but with Schlage I never have to worry about an accidental unlock (touchscreens can be touchy).

Another differnce between Kwikset and Schlage (Zwave locks): The battery compartment.

After you take the face plate off the Kwikset, four AA batteries fit in a tray that slides in from the top. The tray simply snaps into place. When you need to replace the batteries, you simply pull the tray out.

On the Schlage lock, the four AA batteries are also in a tray, but the tray slides in from the side and must be held in place against battery springs by a screw. The weak link in this system is the small slot in the plastic tray that the screw goes into. In my case, it snapped off. So, now I use duct tape to hold the tray in place against the battery springs.

It works, but the design something to consider.

[quote=“garrettwp, post:56, topic:166542”]Kwikset could very well be easier. But any standard lock can be picked easily. Just something to think about.

• Garrett[/quote]

Picked usually implies a tensioner and a rake or other type of pick tool. Kwikset locks need neither of these. A trusty screw driver and maybe a baby vice grip can force the key way to turn. Throw in the lack of need of a master code to reset code1 and you’ve got the perfect storm to easily defeat this lock.

I may have a kwikset in the trunk of my car from a dealer. As I have read several comments about this lock set I will attempt to duplicate and document its flaws - just hope I don’t get charged for this lock haha