Kwikset vs. Schlage locks

@marcoose good idea. Thanks, I will try that. -m

the smartkey is too much fun with kwikset- I think that schlage has some sort of equivalent now where you buy a special ‘blue key’ and use that instead of the little piece of metal that the kwikset’s use. But I dont think the schlage z-wave stuff can get redone- but MAYBE you could use the key that comes with the z-wave as the “new key” for the other devices?

That said- you can buy a kit for pretty much any lock to rekey them yourself for like 10$ on the net. They used to sell them at home depot- but not sure if they made them illegal or something becasue I dont see them in the stores anymore. Usually you put the key in and unlock it then use a tool set they give you to pull the cylinder. Then you put your new key in the lock and use color coded pins in the kit to fit the new key. It’s not tough at all- but certainly not as simple as these new methods where it’s in the door. It’s more like 30 minutes a lock rather than the 30 minutes for the whole house posted as an example of smartkey fun above.

I like the fact that the kwikset looks a lot smaller because it’s less buttons. Looks less like my home is part of norad missile site with that compared to schlage’s industrial monster. BUT on the flip side it skeeves me that there are half as many keys and you use the same key for 2 numbers. For a 4-digit code there’s way less possible combinations with the kwikset. You need to use a 6 digit code on the kwikset to have as many combinations as a 4 digit code on the schlage. There’s still hundreds of combinations so it’s not crazy but still just kind of skeeves me.

Installed Schlage just a couple days ago having in mind to impress my Halloween guests. Nice stuff and “norad missile site” appearance works for me.

One thing nobody mentioned, both Schlage and Kwikset are 100% interchangeable! I replaced my old Kwikset lock installed by the builder 10 years ago and all Schlage parts have precisely aligned with the door. What a big surprise, I was ready to spend hour or so aligning and adjusting, playing with chisels, files and other tools.

My next steps is to install Schlage in my garage door and link “open” event with the kitchen lights.

Awesome, with Schlage locks & Thermostat my house now has a 21st century feel!

[quote=“michaelk, post:22, topic:166542”]the smartkey is too much fun with kwikset- I think that schlage has some sort of equivalent now where you buy a special ‘blue key’ and use that instead of the little piece of metal that the kwikset’s use. But I dont think the schlage z-wave stuff can get redone- but MAYBE you could use the key that comes with the z-wave as the “new key” for the other devices?
…[/quote]

just to update this- seems all schlage locks sold at the home depot (probably lowes and elsewhere) now come with the magical blue keys.

Instead of the magic bent metal piece from kwikset each lock comes with as special blue key that is a match for the keys in that lock (it’s very similar to a normal schlage key but the groove pattern is slightly different . When you want to change the keys over you put in the blue key cut as the same as the current key and turn a bit and remove. Then you put in the blue key from the new keys and turn it back. Each lock also comes with a blue blank- and you can have the key guy cut that for any existing schlage lock.

So basically you can have them cut the blue blank the same as the keyset in the z-wave lock. Then you use that to change any other z-wave locks to match that.

I didn’t try to change the z-wave lock to anything else as i wasn’t in the mood to ‘experiment’ with my $200 lock. And also the new blue key locks at the depot have a plus sign stamped into the cylinder face whereas the z-wave versions dont. I made the leap that the plus indicates you can change that cylinder with a blue key.

Assuming my leap is correct- then no blue key fun to change one z-wave lock to match another. You’d have to buy a pin set on the net for $12 and do it the old fashioned way. I’d also assume at some point the new z-wave locks start coming with the magic blue key cylinders. When they get around to that, maybe I’ll have convinced myself i need the norad lock for my garage door too. ;D

For my needs- a norad knob with a matching plain old deadbolt worked out fine. Seemed a smidge easier to me than the end metal stick kwikset uses- just becasue I’m always worried when i use the metal stick if I’m pressing hard enough or too hard or whatnot. But you have to be bothered to bring the blue blank over to the home depot to cut- so it is one more step.

I have been able to schedule access for the Kwikset deadbolt but when I try to schedule access for the Schlage, I get a message from Vera “Command Failed: Lock does not support scheduling”

How did you get around this?

If my memory serves me correctly, I think MCV broke the Schalge scheduling functionality in 1.1.1047 (if thats the version you’re running?)

I recently upgraded to a new firmware version courtesy MCV to resolve another issue I was having. I am now on 1.1.1062

I really hope they fix the scheduling in the Schlage. I need it big time for my vacation rental property.

Scheduling on the Schlage deadbolt has worked on UI2 (1.0.996) as well as UI4 (1.1.1047) without a problem. Howver, I have only set up the svchedule when creating a new PIN code. Perhaps deleting and recreating the PIN with a schedule will work?

Kwikset allows setting 4 to 8 digit codes out of 5 buttons = 390,625 permutations.
Schlage allows setting 4 digit codes out of 10 buttons = 10,000 permutations.

Assuming that it is possible to enter a 4 digit code every 10 seconds = 10 codes/min = 10,000 codes/ 1,000 minutes = 10,000 codes/ 17 hours.
390,625 codes / 39062 minutes = 390,625 codes / 651 hours.

On Kwikset if you set 6 digit code the number of permutations is 15,625.

So if you loose a Schlage code, all you need is less than 17 hours to get in - so does the thief who hates braking things.

Just FYI - I do know the schlage locks will lockout the keypad for 30 seconds after a few invalid codes…four I think. So following the computations above, this would add another 20 hours to guess all combinations. As my kids have proven, the schlage lock will also trigger a “tamper” text/email" after serveral invalid guesses, so this is the more important security feature. kwikset might do this too; I haven’t used it.

sammy,

How did you set “number of guesses”?

Unless “bad code entered” event is triggered after predefined number of attempts.

Well, for my deadbolt I got the Kwikset due to its motorized deadbolt. However, for the lever lock, I got the Schlage. In one of my doors, there is quite a bit of distance between the deadbolt hole and the lever lock hole. There’s enough distance to install the Schlage lever lock under the Kwikset deadbolt. The cover plate of the Schlage, which you need to remove to replace the batteries, pulls outwards (i.e. Towards you). But on the Kwikset lever lock, it looks like the cover plate has to be pulled upward to remove it. Pulling upwards won’t work since the deadbolt lock above it is in the way. In this door, there is enough room to put the Schlage lever lock under the Kwikset deadbolt but not enough room to put a Kwikset lever lock under the Kwikset deadbolt. The Schlage lever lock can be remotely locked and unlocked, like the Kwikset deadbolt. Fortunately, the satin nickel color of the Kwikset is close enough in color to the Schlage color (don’t recall what they call their version of the Satin nickel). Colors aren’t identical, but very close that unless you look at them in bright light and over-analyze it too closely, you won’t notice. Now, they both have different physical keys. Maybe there’s a way to have them use the same key? But that’s not a huge deal since the whole point is to have keyless locks.

Another reason I got the Schlage lever lock is that Radio Shack had them on sale. About 75% off!

In another door, there is not enough distance between the 2 holes, so I’ll just put a Kwikset deadbolt and a non-lockable door knob or lever.

Schlage Vs. Kwikset deadbolt battery life? These have been in the wild now for a while so there should be some decent feedback on battery life.

It must munch the battery to throw that bolt. I’m assuming that’s why Schlage didn’t implement such a feature?

P.S. I have a Schlage lever and I wouldn’t trade it for any other lock.

Unless it came with a French maid.

[quote=“S-F, post:33, topic:166542”]Schlage Vs. Kwikset deadbolt battery life? These have been in the wild now for a while so there should be some decent feedback on battery life.

It must munch the battery to throw that bolt. I’m assuming that’s why Schlage didn’t implement such a feature?

P.S. I have a Schlage lever and I wouldn’t trade it for any other lock.

Unless it came with a French maid.[/quote]

Kwikset’s FAQ says a set of Alkalines will last “over a year” assuming “15 operations per day”. Schlage’s lever lock literature claims 3 years battery life. I don’t recall if they said how many operations per day this is based on. I haven’t owned either lock long enough to confirm their numbers. But if true, battery life wouldn’t be the major determinant in which one to get, compared to other pros/cons.

[quote=“lz, post:29, topic:166542”]Kwikset allows setting 4 to 8 digit codes out of 5 buttons = 390,625 permutations.
Schlage allows setting 4 digit codes out of 10 buttons = 10,000 permutations.

Assuming that it is possible to enter a 4 digit code every 10 seconds = 10 codes/min = 10,000 codes/ 1,000 minutes = 10,000 codes/ 17 hours.
390,625 codes / 39062 minutes = 390,625 codes / 651 hours.

On Kwikset if you set 6 digit code the number of permutations is 15,625.

So if you loose a Schlage code, all you need is less than 17 hours to get in - so does the thief who hates braking things.[/quote]

I think after entering the first 300 codes and not getting in, your finger would cramp up, or you’d go insane when you lost your place and had to start over. I’m not worried about someone cracking the code and my friends prove that every time they come by and I hear them failing at hacking it. Of course, the more codes you have in the lock, the easier it is to guess one, but I am still a firm believer that the thief would go around back and break/jimmy a window instead of standing at my front door for hours on end.

edit: it also appears that the batteries could die before you guess the code, by continually entering codes.

As far as battery life goes, my Schlage Deadbolt tends to last about a year and a half with 2-4 uses per day on fresh Alkaline batteries, so the Kwikset DB has to be considerably less than that with its motor.

Hey guys and gals,

After owning the kwikset deadbolt for almost a year and having communication issues with it over time. I have posted over time on this forum stating that I would have reliability issues with vera communicating with the deadbolt. My kwikset lever lock which is about 15 feet from the deadbolt has many zwave neighbors (about 12). The deadbolt, I am lucky if I get 4 neighbors.

I finally decided to switch out the kwikset lever lock zwave board and put it into the deadbolt. Not sure why I waited this long to do this. I guess I now finally have some time to tinker with this. So after switching boards and doing a repair on the deadbolt, what do you know I have over a dozen neighbors communicating with the deadbolt. I do the same with the lever lock and it now reports about 7 neighbors. The lever lock use to have over 16 neighbors to communicate with the lock.

I have a feeling that I have an issue with the zwave board. The deadbolt is one of the first units from kwikset. I got it pretty much when they started shipping them to dealers. So here is my dilemma, do I call kwikset and ask for a replacement board for the deadbolt? For anyone who called kwikset in the past, I know a few fellow beta testers have dealt with them in the past. How are they do deal with? Will I run into any issues? Both these boards are rev. 2. So they are the same.

The last two weeks I been having the deadbolt lose communication with the vera unit. I would have to unpair and re-pair the lock to gain back communication. I am starting to think I have a faulty board.

• Garrett

@ Garrettwp, I have two kwikset deadbolts since Aug of last year, I’ve had the similar experience with limited neighbors, in fact I moved my VERA within close proximity (20 feet) to ensure that I had access/status of the locks. My question re inserting a new z wave board is there new firmware if so is it possible for owners to update them or do we have to send the boards back to the manufacture? (would suck). Mike

[quote=“Michael_N_Blackwell, post:37, topic:166542”]@ Garrettwp, I have two kwikset deadbolts since Aug of last year, I’ve had the similar experience with limited neighbors, in fact I moved my VERA within close proximity (20 feet) to ensure that I had access/status of the locks. My question re inserting a new z wave board is there new firmware if so is it possible for owners to update them or do we have to send the boards back to the manufacture? (would suck). Mike[/quote]The boards are firmware updateable, but its not something you can do.

If you do have a bad Zwave board I hope you have better luck than I did at getting Kwikset to send you one as a spare part. I was told that I could not order a board for the lock. Period…

I am looking more at getting a replacement for the board now, not really a spare part. The lock was working fine yesterday (the lever lock with the deadbolt board in it). Today, I go to test the lock out and the lever lock will not communicate with vera! Vera would report that it failed to communicate with the device! I have a feeling that it is on it’s death bed. I guess I’ll have to call Kwikset for warranty.

• Garrett