Kwikset vs. Schlage locks

Wow! I’m abit floored. Un packed the lock and sure enuff a 4 year old could change your main code.

Step 1: slide off cover
Step 2: Press program button
Step 3: Enter new code on exterior key pad
Step 4: Press (lock icon) to set code
Step 5: Laugh your butt off as you break into his house

Yeah, this is a pretty serious flaw I would say. I’ve included a couple pics to show just how simple it is.

[quote=“turb0, post:61, topic:166542”]Wow! I’m abit floored. Un packed the lock and sure enuff a 4 year old could change your main code.

Step 1: slide off cover
Step 2: Press program button
Step 3: Enter new code on exterior key pad
Step 4: Press (lock icon) to set code
Step 5: Laugh your butt off as you break into his house

Yeah, this is a pretty serious flaw I would say. I’ve included a couple pics to show just how simple it is.[/quote]

Your Lock Cover does not use two screws on the side???
Mine does so you can not slide that cover off that easy.
Also, remove the sticker with the instructions… should make it more difficult for the 4yr old :slight_smile:

My lever has those; but not the deadbolt.

My lever has those; but not the deadbolt.[/quote]

Ah, I see…
I only use levers :slight_smile:

Flo

My lever has those; but not the deadbolt.[/quote]

My 2 month old (Kwikset model# 99100-014) deadbolt has the screws on the side of the inside panel cover.

It also allows locking out the first 2 codes (the only codes you can set when you have physical access to the program button) by setting them as restricted, and expired on the MCV code list. My lock won’t even accept a code change when the code is restricted & expired.

Not the most elegant solution, or a good one if you need to use all the codes, but it gets around this issue quite nicely.

Hi…new here but have been reading the posts about Kwikset vs. Schlage so here are my thoughts.

I have a rental cabin and wanted a keypad lock so that I could change user codes easily. I tried the Kwikset deadbolt model and was disappointed with the battery life possibilities after using it for a short time. My issue was caused because it had a motor that seemed to be laboring to move the bolt after only a few weeks. I didn’t want those batteries going dead every few months (or less). I changed out the Kwikset and installed a Schlage BE365 deadbolt. What a nice lock. The battery only runs the keypad electronics and the solenoid to enable the thumb knob. The thumb knob moves the bolt by the user’s hand, so even a stiff or poorly fitted bolt will move without killing the battery. The battery should last years.

The other feature that I didn’t like about the Kwikset as mentioned previously, is that anyone inside the house can reprogram the codes by just opening the back of the lock and resetting the master code. The Schlage needs a secret master code to change the user codes. Even if someone opens the lock they can’t defeat the program.

I’m now considering changing from the Schlage BE365 to the BE369 model which will give me the ability to change codes remotely. I’ll also get the Vera device. ;D
Chris

[quote=“chrysalis, post:66, topic:166542”]Hi…new here but have been reading the posts about Kwikset vs. Schlage so here are my thoughts.

I have a rental cabin and wanted a keypad lock so that I could change user codes easily. I tried the Kwikset deadbolt model and was disappointed with the battery life possibilities after using it for a short time. My issue was caused because it had a motor that seemed to be laboring to move the bolt after only a few weeks. I didn’t want those batteries going dead every few months (or less). I changed out the Kwikset and installed a Schlage BE365 deadbolt. What a nice lock. The battery only runs the keypad electronics and the solenoid to enable the thumb knob. The thumb knob moves the bolt by the user’s hand, so even a stiff or poorly fitted bolt will move without killing the battery. The battery should last years.

The other feature that I didn’t like about the Kwikset as mentioned previously, is that anyone inside the house can reprogram the codes by just opening the back of the lock and resetting the master code. The Schlage needs a secret master code to change the user codes. Even if someone opens the lock they can’t defeat the program.

I’m now considering changing from the Schlage BE365 to the BE369 model which will give me the ability to change codes remotely. I’ll also get the Vera device. ;D
Chris[/quote]

Hi chrysalis

My four years experience with the Kwikset lock is very different from yours. I put Enegizer Lithium AA batteries into the lock and they last about 9 months. This remarkable considering that the property is rented throughout the year and the locks get opened/closed a minimum of 8 time a day. My experience with the Schlage deadbolt was that there was a steep learning curve for the renters. It took them a day or too to get everyone familiar with the operation of the SChlage deadbolt lock.

The Kwikset lock works great… no phone calls from the renters asking how to unlock the door and no dead batteries. You put in the code and the door unlocks.

Don

I know the average person is incredibly stupid, but what is difficult about the Schlage locks? I haven’t used them, so I’m just curious. :slight_smile:

Thanks all for the replies. I understand what DonDiego is saying, but as the Nick said " people are incredibly stupid". This comes from the fact that the schlage lock has a free spinning knob that becomes activated when the correct code goes in and now the user has to do something…turn the knob within 10 seconds. Unlike the kwikset lock that makes a bunch of noise and pulls in the deadbolt.

For the dummies I include a door instruction procedure that is laminated and placed near the door.

Chris

i like these more http://www.visionsecurity.com.tw/ha_products_185.html