Intermatic HA07 not configuring

Greetings,

Following the steps on http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Intermatic_Handheld_Remotes I am able to add a freshly reset HA07 to Vera but the controller never gets configured. I am guessing that configuration is required before the “Treat scene buttons as events” option is available because I don’t see it at present. However, when I try to “Configure Device Now” I get a failure (red gear). Here is what the log says:

11/27/09 12:40:07.580 20 conf_jh#17 09-11-27 12:39:57 09-11-27 12:40:02 09-11-27 12:40:07 10.564846000 5.255775000 Aborted Unable to get any information on node 17 38 ZWaveController

Any suggestions? I have removed and re-added the controller multiple times to no avail.
Thanks,
\pat

Hello FinderGuy,

Warning These instructions are for a Vera running UI2. Updated 2/14/2010

I just setup one of these myself last week… it was a little more difficult than it should have been due to the outdated documentation…

If you are running Firmware version 1.0.979, then the “treat scene buttons as events” option is no longer available. (Vera automatically recognizes that it needs to treat the buttons as scene events)

You shouldn’t worry about the red cog dispaly, as I understand it, this is normal. My HA07 works fine with a red cog. (I think it has something to do with the fact that it is a battery operated device, and it would require the remote to be on all the time reporting back to Vera…since this is not needed and is not feasiable from a power management standpoint, the cog will remain red because the device does not get “polled”.)

So, if you have been successful in putting the remote into RA mode and the scenes have been transferred successfully form Vera to the remote, per the wiki’s instructions…you should be okay to move onto the next step…adding events to your individual scenes:

Go to the scene you want to control via your new remote–
Click on the “Add Event” button–
Select your HA07— (Mine is called “Scene Controller” with the Z-wave device number in front of it.)
Then name your event— (I just used the same name as the scene with “Event” added on the end)
Then enter the number of the button you want to press on the remote to activate the scene—

[s]Things to note: if you poke around on this forum, you will see a statement that indicates you should re-add the remote each time you associate a scene to it…but in my experience…at least with the latest firmware…I did not have to re-add the remote to Vera. I only had to do this once…

I think this is more confusing that it needs to be since the “Scenes” are not really being transferred to the remote. As far as I can tell, it looks like the paring z-wave function really just adds the remote to the Z-wave network, and also adds the ability to set 12 (or 6) configurable “events” for that remote. In essence, the remote is really only sending a number value (1-12) to Vera, which Vera interprets to trigger the associated scene… feel free to chime in MCV if I am incorrect in this assumption… [/s]

Hope this helps!

I just setup one of these myself last week.... it was a little more difficult than it should have been due to the outdated documentation....

Dear Jacobly,

Thanks for these helpful instructions. I am new to MCV and while I have no problem delving into tech issues, it is quite disappointing to see how outdated (and even misleading) some of the instructions are. I hope that MCV can put some time into updating the documentation along with the updated products and firmwares. Perhaps they would spend less time responding to help requests.

Steveo123,

As you can see above, I have edited my instructions with a disclaimer.

If you have not figured it out by now, Vera and it’s underlying software is a very DIY solution, which some could argue is constantly in a Beta state. Unfortunately, for the next few months or maybe even longer, we are going to be in a state of flux where many of the instructions posted on this forum will be out of date.

I assume that you are trying to vent your frustrations with the lack of documentation from MCV, but please do not take those frustrations out on forum users, like me, that at the time of posting were correct but may be out dated now.

It is clear that the organization of the forum really is getting pretty bad as we move from new UI to new UI. I think this forum really needs some help in the organization dept.

That said, in the future, feel free to ask for clarification on any of my previous posts and I will be happy to try and help you…welcome to the community…

in my experience one must re-add scenes to remote if changes are made to a scene capable device (such as a light) or it will continue to have the originally programmed behavior, if only vera controlls it then it does not need re-adding

Dear Jacobly,

Thanks for your clarification post. Please note that I was complimenting your original post as it was very much more helpful than the MCV docs.

I appreciate all the good info here, the thrust of my post was that we users seemingly have to figure things out rather than get good info from MCV through official documentation and support.

I have been a big fan of this forum since I opened the Vera box a week ago and I couldn’t have even made it this far without help of forum members such as yourself.

Z-waving ahead and never looking back,
—SteveO123

Having never used UI2, could someone tell me how to configure an HA07 with UI3? Ive tried following the directions on the Wiki, and it does not work… I can create a scene which turns on a light via UI3, but the button (1) on the controller does not actuate the light.

Ive reset the controller and its joined to the Vera2… any suggestions on what to do next is appreciated!

Hi Blade,

I’m not sure where you are having trouble. but here is my best guess:

After you create your scene, you need to add an event that will associate your Button 1 to the scene using the “A scene is activated” command.

If you want the light to turn off, you will need to add a new scene that turns the light off, then create a new event using the “A scene is de-activated” command. (IE the “A scene is activated” associates the scene to the TOP button, and “A scene is de-activated” associates the scene to the BOTTOM button.)

Hope this helps. If you continue to have more problems, let me know and I’ll do another step by step for UI3.

[quote=“Jacobly, post:8, topic:165250”]Hi Blade,

I’m not sure where you are having trouble. but here is my best guess:

After you create your scene, you need to add an event that will associate your Button 1 to the scene using the “A scene is activated” command.

If you want the light to turn off, you will need to add a new scene that turns the light off, then create a new event using the “A scene is de-activated” command. (IE the “A scene is activated” associates the scene to the TOP button, and “A scene is de-activated” associates the scene to the BOTTOM button.)

Hope this helps. If you continue to have more problems, let me know and I’ll do another step by step for UI3.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply… I went back and double checked that I did as you described, and it appears that is exactly how I did it. I did not bother setting up an “off” scene since I could not get the ‘on’ scene to work. There is no ‘drop down’ for entering in the scene button in UI3, just a space for typing in a number. I suspect I could use a step-by-step for UI3 if you have the time to do one… THANK YOU!

I will try to put together a step-by-step guide tonight when I make it home from work. I have to add a new scene to one of my buttons anyway…stay tuned!

Well, I believe that the new UI3 must have broken the compatibility of the HA07. I have tried multiple times to add a new scene to the remote unsuccessfully. The funny thing is that all of the scenes I created and transferred to the HA07 via UI2 continue to work.

I think we need to open a tech support ticket…I’ll open one and post my results back to this thread when I can get Vera to successfully transmit the scene to my HA07.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help!

[quote=“Jacobly, post:11, topic:165250”]Well, I believe that the new UI3 must have broken the compatibility of the HA07. I have tried multiple times to add a new scene to the remote unsuccessfully. The funny thing is that all of the scenes I created and transferred to the HA07 via UI2 continue to work.

I think we need to open a tech support ticket…I’ll open one and post my results back to this thread when I can get Vera to successfully transmit the scene to my HA07.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help![/quote]

J,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help out on this… I have 2 HA07s that i got on clearance, and I can make use of them in addition to the two Ive been using for over a year. Glad to hear that it wasnt just me that was having an issue with these… I have made a few support requests to the community, and several of them have been due to my inexperience with Vera or due to my own oversights. At least now I feel a bit justified in asking for help :slight_smile:

I had successfully installed one HA07 remote and it was working fine under 1.0.979. I just now upgraded to 1.0.988 and tried to add a second HA07. I was easily able to successfully pair each one with Vera and COPYra the scenes to the remotes. I repeated the steps for each remote and it worked fine.

The scenes I have include both lights and tsats setpoints. I set up trigger events linked to the scene buttons on the remotes. (Events called R1B1 for Remote 1 Button 1 etc) But now when I push the buttons on the remotes only the lights work in the scenes as they are executed. And Vera complains with “failed command” when I try to use the dashboard to control either the device or the scene after pressing the remote button.
???
Thoughts? Vera is driving me crazy!

I am having the same problems configuring the HA07 with Vera version 1.0.979. The sequence I followed was:

[ul][li]Complete factory reset the HA07 as described in the “Intermatic Handheld Remotes” Wiki topic.[/li]
[li]Added the HA07 as a controller following the instructions on the Wiki topic to receive the “Successful” response after “Copy RA”. The new controller show up on Vera as a new device, which I can then add to a room.[/li]
[li]Created a new Vera Scene and added an event triggered by Scene 1 on the HA07. I tested the scene with the GO button, and it worked, but cannot get it to trigger by pressing the scene button on the HA07. I also tried this after cycling the power on my Vera[/li][/ul]

I was able to add an existing device directly to the scene button on the HA07 and verified that pressing the scene 1 buttons on the HA07 turns this device on/off. This verified that the HA07 was added to my Z-Wave network and that the devices on the network were added to the HA07 when it was added to Vera. However, I cannot get the HA07 to trigger a Vera scene.

Also, the HA07 cannot be configured by Vera (I get the RED gear). I believe that this is the root cause of the problem - that Vera needs to configure the HA07 so that it can send Scene notifications directly to Vera instead of implementing the scene itself.

Has anybody had any luck getting this to work?

not sure if this is your situation but after you create the scenes you have to re-add the controller to Vera, who will report “existing node found transferring scenes” then your scenes will work from the remote controller

Has anyone been able to get an HA07 to work with UI3? My Vera is a Vera2, so Ive never used UI2, and would hate to have to rebuild my network just to make use of controllers… this bug in UI3 really should have been fixed by now, and if it is could someone tell me where the instructions are? :frowning:

Thanks pgrover516.

I did manage to get the Vera Scenes to be triggered by the HA07. The additional step was as you suggested. I removed all devices that were associated directly with the HA07 scene, then redid step (3) as described in [url=http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Intermatic_Handheld_Remotes]http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Intermatic_Handheld_Remotes[/url]. After this, the Vera started to be triggered by button presses on the HA07.

One thing, on my version of Vera, I did not get the error message you described.

Just thought I would document another “feature” of the HA07 integration (at least as of 1.0.979).

Suppose I create a brand new scene on Vera, say to turn on a lamp, which is triggered by a scene on the HA07. When I first set this up (the first time the HA07 scene has been assigned to any Vera Scene), the Vera scene is triggered when the HA07 scene ON button is pressed and the lamp goes ON. When I press the scene off button on the HA07, nothing happens - the lamp stays ON.

Then, if I go through the ADD sequence (Z-Wave Add Controller in Vera, INCLUDE + scene 1 off on HA07) with the HA07, the scene off button on the HA07 (associated with Vera scene) will turn the lamp associated with the Vera scene OFF. No other lamps are affected. So, it would seem that the scene OFF turns OFF any device associated with the scene, but only after I go through the Add Controller sequence.

Notice in this scenario I haven’t yet assigned anything to scene 0 button on the HA07 (the documentation on the HA07 suggests that all scene off buttons on the HA07 all activate scene 0).

stevetfidalgo: What you describe is almost right but there is a fine point. if there is a device in the scene that is not scene capable (for example a motion sensor) and is only controlled by vera (in other words can not be directly addressed by the remote itself) then it will not turn off with the “off” button, rather you would have to create an “off” scene for that device and assign it to the “on” position of another button
example: I have a scene assigned to a button on the remote which turns certain lights on and arms motion sensors, if I press “off” the lights will go out but it will not disarm the sensors, that requires a separate scene …
for lights though what you stated is exactly right

I just want to update this topic with my findings for the HA07 in UI5 (as it stands at the moment)

-Add a Trigger which says “A scene is activate” then, say, “scene 1” - this means button 1, it doesn’t have anything to do with the scene no. on Vera
-confirm, save changes etc

at this point the HA07 will activate the scene assigned to button 1-ON. Vera will change the levels on the dashboard and so on. The corresponding 1-OFF button doesn’t do anything yet.

If you re-include the HA07 to Vera (hold down the include button 5 secs, etc, yada yada yada) then NOW the 1-OFF button turns off the devices in the scene. However Vera doesn’t appear to notice this happening, and the device levels don’t get shown as off until the next poll.

Alternatively/additionally you can use “scene 0” to run an off scene when any of the OFF buttons on the HA07 are pressed. The trigger for this off scene is that “A scene is activated”, scene 0.

The up and down dimming of scenes doesn’t appear to work for me, and when I try I get random lights coming on and going off to random levels. But hey-ho, you can’t have everything.

I hope that information helps someone.