Instant Status not Updating with Leviton vizia rf devices and VeraEdge

None of my Leviton Vizia rf+ devices are providing the status update back to the UI7 interface via web or app when the device is manually activated at the device. If I “poll” the device it will correct the status. But since these Leviton devices support the Instant Status Update feature why won’t it update when the device is manually activated? They shouldn’t have to be polled.

Also, I am getting “Failed At: Please Wait, Getting Manufacturer” on all of these devices along with the “Device NOT Responding/Device Responding Again” errors over and over. Has anyone found a solution for these errors? I saw that a number of you have reported this same problem to Vera.

Devices Types: Leviton Vizia rf+ (VRCZ4, VRI06, VRI10, VRE06, VRP03, VRS15)
VeraEdge, Firmware 1.7.906

Thanks for any answers or ideas!

I think there is already a help ticket started on this and a posting with the Leviton problems and Edge. Do a search.

I have the same issue with all of my Leviton Vizia RF devices and the Vera Edge. I have reported it to tech support but so far radio silence.

My devices keep fluctuating between “OK” and “Failed Getting Manufacturer” status. So I have hundreds of alerts from my VeraEdge. These Vizia RF+ devices were incredibly popular for the last 7 years I am shocked they are not in the regular rotation of testing at Vera. Leviton is one of the biggest names in lighting.

Add me to the list. I have an open help ticket too…thus far just the “canned” response from them to exclude and re-include. I made a point to re-point out that it’s a Leviton switch. I’ve got a handful of these in my system, and I’m also shocked they have issues. They’ve been running great in my Vera 2 system for several years.

I’m a little disappointed by my Edge thus far, as I haven’t been able to justify keeping it and am pondering returning it. It won’t run my Leviton’s properly, and it doesn’t support the AD2USB alarm plug-in which is vital to my system. I’m still running my Vera 2 on UI1, and at least that works. My Edge may be going back to Amazon before the return period runs out…

I feel your frustration. Previously I had a home built setup using a ControlThink USB Zwave Stick and my own software. Everything ran perfectly until my USB Stick died. So I thought I would try a more “out of the box” experience with Vera Edge and it feels more like I signed up for a BETA program.

I am really hoping they get their act together quickly and fix these bugs but from reading these forums Vera doesn’t do anything quickly.

Below is the reply that I received from Vera Technical Support. I followed these instructions exactly and the results are the same, it does not solve the errors in my case.

"As I previously mentioned, you need to get the Vera unit close enough to the devices, 3-feet or less. You could use the power adapter and a long enough power cord to get the Vera near the device. When you achieve this, please exclude and reinclude the devices that are not working. You could use the built in Sync button. Please refer to this link for more information http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/articles/612354?v3-a-simple-inclusion-example Please note that the device in that link is the Vera 3, but the principle on which syncing is working is the same.
Vera Edge can be used as a wireless access point, not as a client. You cannot use Wi-fi to access your connected devices. This is done by the internal Z-Wave radio. If your battery is compliant with the Vera unit, you don?t need an ethernet cable; just use the Sync button.
For the programming remote, please provide us with the model number so that we can see if it indeed works with UI7
Device NOT Responding/Device Responding Again errors arise because the devices haven?t exchanged information with the Vera unit within a 3-feet radius or less. Please note that respecting the initial 3-feet range is critical for the proper operation of the devices. After the pairing is complete and working as it should, you can move the Vera unit away, but not during the inclusion time frame.
Please let me know things turn up.
Take care,
Regards,

Vera Smarter Home Control
Technical Support Team"

It would seem like these Leviton devices are popular enough that they would have these actual devices listed as options “include” wizard instead of making you include them as “Generic Z-Wave Devices” Isn’t that likely the possible problem that there is something specific to the Levitons that they are not properly configuring as “generic”???

Thanks again for everyone’s comments and information. I will post any further info I receive from Vera.

You are missing the point. The problem is not that the devices are not listed in the list of devices it is that the Leviton Vizia RF+ devices use such a low power for the inclusion that you have to have the Vera right next to them. All my other devices from other manufacturers do not have this problem whether I am using Other or Generic. The other thing that is odd with them is that with some of the Viza RF+ devices it matters which device either the Vera or the switch is in include mode first.

So can I ask you this rtrouse… since you have some of the same devices that I am having trouble with, do you have them set up with the new EDGE UI7 or an older Vera controller? Are they working properly for you without getting the errors that I am seeing?

I tried a number of times to include with the controller as close as 6 inches away from the Leviton switch with the same results. Do you have any suggestions/tricks on how you got yours to include without the errors if you were able to?

Thanks,

Yes I have some of the same devices on a Vera 3. And yes the dreaded errors have plagued my existence. Sadly I have paired many of the devices repeatedly, spent hours slogging through the logs, and bricked my Vera a couple of times.

That being said there are a couple of things that afflicted my install. First, I must say my most finicky devices are the Levitons. I have never been able to pair them without moving the Vera. Second, with the zone controllers I had to leave the unit next to the device for a while in order to get it configured. In another instance an association that didn’t register properly would make the switch and anything within the route return a can’t detect device every time the switch was pressed for a while. Once that starts then all the other error messages start. If you do a heal the switches with problems seem to fix themselves then others start throwing errors. Finally, perhaps the most effective thing that has made my network stable is the antenna mod and adding devices. But double check the devices in the route where you are having problems. Btw my Cooper devices are the least problematic and the furthest away from my Vera.

rstrouse, thanks for your reply and comments on your experiences with Leviton. Unfortunately I have am stuck with the Leviton devices since I have around 120 of them already installed. They work fine when setup using the USB Installer Stick from Leviton; however, I was hoping to find a solution to be able to log in remotely from the web to turn on/off lights and check status along with seting up the triggered events, thus my reason for purchasing the EDGE.

Can you recommend a different solution than EDGE that will allow me the remote access that I am looking for that might work better or more reliably with these devices?

Happy Holidays!

Thanks,

Guys my update…

OK so I know the Leviton’s you need to pair within 3 feet so I unpaired my device definitely was within 3 feet and then paired it with the Edge. It adds it no problem and even knows its a Leviton Dimmer. THen it says “Please wait while getting Manufacturer…”. And then it errors. So even though I paired within 3 feet I feel like this is still a Vera firmware issue. I have never had a single issue with my Leviton devices so I know its not the device.

I really wanted the vera to work out, but now I am considering purchasing a SmartThings Hub instead. I have a few friends that have them and rave about them for their ease of setup and reliability.

I had this very same problem. I had to unpair it from the Vera, reset the switch, then cycle the breaker. I cycled the breaker because I was getting ready to pull it out of the wall, then replace it. I then decided to try one more time. Weird it would pair then it wouldn’t configure. It’s like something was stuck in the NVRAM on the switch that needed to be cleared. Also to note that even after the Vera returns that it added the switch it is not done configuring it. I’ve had it take up to 15 minutes to finally finish configuring nodes. Take a look at the autoroute/AllRoutesFailed field in the Advanced tab and you will likely see that it is not routing when it is getting the data from the switch when this error crops up.

When I installed them to my Vera 3, I also had to unpair, reset the device (by pushing on the top part of the switch until the bottom “Pops” out, and then push the bottom back in), and then include the device again. I got the same message failing to get manufacturer info.

OK I would love to try and reset mine but is a Leviton Vizia Wall Plug. There doesn’t seem to be a way to “reset” it other than unplugging it from the wall for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. Any advice on how to reset one of these?

Press and hold the program button until the LED flashes amber then flashes red. Try to exclude it first then reset.

Unfortunately that does not seem to work for my model. I have this one…

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=VRPD3-1LW

“Vizia RF + Series 300 Watt Scene Capable Plug-In Lamp Dimming Module with Z-Wave Technology for CFL/LED/Incandescent. Turn any standard receptacle into the essence of “smart” lighting with the scene capable plug in lamp dimming module.”

I don’t have any of these but you could try holding down whatever button you use to pair it until the indicator flashes red or your finger gives up… whichever comes first ???.

I just recently got a VeraEdge, so I am very new to this whole home automation stuff. But I have a few Leviton switches a VRMX1(dimmer), a VRS15(on/off) with 2 VP0SR switches that work with the VRS15. All of these I have had no problems with the instant status or any problems with including them in the network. I actually didn’t even move the VeraEdge near the switches to include them (the VRS15 is about 15 feet, the VRMX1 is about 25 feet) both in different rooms than the controller. Not sure what I did differently, maybe I just got lucky. I am pretty sure I just connected as generic Zwave device. I first set the Vera to search for device, then went and turned the light on and it started it’s configuration process for the device. Maybe I don’t have enough devices on my system yet??? Only have a few things hooked up. Blue Iris (3 cams), Sono’s, a few motion detectors, a Siren, and a few of the Aeotec Micro Switches…

Bummer. Held for 3 minutes and nothing happened. I unpaired it again and paired it to my ControlThink USB stick with no issues.

So I am now convinced it is nothing that I am doing it is a bug in the Vera code.

Yeah sounds about right. LOL