iAqualink Pool Control

Anyone interested in iAqualink control or have done any work on it?

I see Crestron has it setup.
http://applicationmarket.crestron.com/jandy-iaqualink/
PDF Help manual here:

Also know that ioBridge is the one who built the iAqualink and they have an API out for their product, but not sure if that helps.
http://blog.iobridge.com/tag/iaqualink/
API info here:

I am in the process of creating a plugin for Pentair Intellitouch/EasyTouch. Although this really is geared toward the Pentair equipment and simulates the remote panel operation, some of the concepts may be similar. I will be releasing a new beta this week that includes support for Intelliflo VS/VF pumps and Intellichlor. Perhaps some of that code can help. There is also an option for simulating pool control that doesn’t require a Pentair system.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30275.msg216081.html#msg216081

I currently use an iAqualink and would love a plugin for Vera to support it natively. The eventual plan was to get an Autelis for Vera integration, but could not justify the cost for now.

I have been using the plugin I created that includes support for all the specialized Pentair equipment. Intellichlor, Intellibrite, Intelliflo, macro circuits, freeze protection, and the like. I have control/monitoring of every piece of equipment attached to my pool including pumps, lights, and chemistry.

I do not have the equipment for controlling Jandy/Zodiac gear but in looking at the API from Autelis it doesn’t look too far from the requirements for the Pentair gear. If someone with all the equipment were willing to work with me on this I think we could get a plugin running in short order.

I am happy to work with you to test a plugin. Are you thinking of linking to the ioBridge API like the Crestron? I don’t think the iAqualink provides a direct interface to the control system. This is what the Autelis provided using its connection to the bus.

I have been using the plugin I created that includes support for all the specialized Pentair equipment. Intellichlor, Intellibrite, Intelliflo, macro circuits, freeze protection, and the like. I have control/monitoring of every piece of equipment attached to my pool including pumps, lights, and chemistry.

I do not have the equipment for controlling Jandy/Zodiac gear but in looking at the API from Autelis it doesn’t look too far from the requirements for the Pentair gear. If someone with all the equipment were willing to work with me on this I think we could get a plugin running in short order.[/quote]

I would also be willing to help out as much as possible, but with the pool at a vacation house and this not the season, my availability my be an issue currently.

Edit: With that said tho, there is quite a bit we can do with remotely and I would be willing to possibly opening up access to allow some testing.

I am thinking of interfacing with Autelis like I did for the Pentair integration. I wanted to integrate my pool with Intellitouch, so originally looked at tying it all together with a ScreenLogic TC-15/RS-485 from Pentair but the protocol translation is binary proprietary. It really isn’t built to use for integration although some have tried and there are numerous hacks to get it to work so it was a frontier effort.

Then I found an Autelis plugin for HS3 which almost had me making the switch to HomeSeer. I did a bunch of research on HS3 but, in the end chose to build a plugin interface for the Autelis/Pentair firmware before my Autelis even arrived. This turned out to be a pretty good decision and I liked the results so I shared it on the forum.

ioBridge looks like it is similar to Autelis but it appears (I may be wrong but I didn’t see it in the API docs) to lack the status notification and would require polling to get notifications of a change. For instance, I have a macro that sets up the spa for night mode which first turns off the pool, waits for the circuits to rotate valves, turns on the fire, cranks up the heater, and finally sets the lights. This process occurs over about a 10 second period. During each phase the devices are cycled in sequence on the Vera desktop. Polling is still required for some things but these changes are not the current status of the equipment. HTTP GET and POST can take up to 4 seconds just to get a response. So polling less than every 30 seconds or so is probably not the best.

You can see a bit about what I am talking about by reading the pdf docs here in the 2 posts. I am about to release v1.0 which fixes minor issues related to the most recent FW and cleans up some of the chlorinator communication.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30275.msg216837.html#msg216837

This is for the Pentair gear but there are more similarities here than differences. Pentair uses Circuits and Features whereas iAuqualink appears to use only circuits and calls out specific “Features” like heaters, pumps, and chemistry.

What equipment do each of you have installed on your pool?

I only have a 2 speed pool pump, single stage spa pump, air pump, 2 electric valves and lights.

IAqualink already has grouping or scenes in it. So I can make a “Party” button and when pressed it switches valves with delays, starts pump and low speed then ramps up, switches lights on and such.

Really what i want is to be able to tie in some of my home away and scenes to the pool. Run a scene on vera which will turn on patio lights and turn on “Party” in the pool contoller. Same goes for night. When my vera runs “sleep” or maybe “away” scenes make sure to switch off pool heaters and lights and such.

I could probley do everything i need with a few working http commands. But im not smart enought to know how to create the http command to activate the scenes or devices in iaqualink.

Any ideas?

I have been looking for someone with other than Variable Speed or Variable Flow pumps. Although they are similar in control the feedback is completely different. I assume by air pump you are referring to a spa blower? Valve control should be automatic in that I assume you are controlling spa/pool body with one of the valves and the other is for solar… maybe water feature diversion. For lights are you running ColorLogic?

Yes the Intellitouch has this capability as well. These are called “Feature Macros”. I have a party scene that turns on the fire, shoots laminar water jets into the pool and cycles the pool and spa colors across the pool (ColorSwim). All this shows up in my Vera with a single button device. What’s neat is that since it is not the season I simply uncheck a box in the plugin and it disappears until I need it next season.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:8, topic:185577”]Really what i want is to be able to tie in some of my home away and scenes to the pool. Run a scene on vera which will turn on patio lights and turn on “Party” in the pool contoller. Same goes for night. When my vera runs “sleep” or maybe “away” scenes make sure to switch off pool heaters and lights and such.

I could probley do everything i need with a few working http commands. But im not smart enought to know how to create the http command to activate the scenes or devices in iaqualink.

Any ideas?[/quote]
This is precisely why I wanted to control my pool with Vera. The way the plugin is architected is it ties in directly with the Scene editor and allows me to perform all scenes and triggers on all equipment in the pool. Since these are simply devices to Vera, they are integrated with all other devices that I have in my HA. If there is some piece of equipment that I don’t want to control I simply don’t include it. For instance, I have created a scene for when we are out at dinner with friends. I called it Spa Time. It turns on the spa, and sets the heater. If I wanted to get fancy, I suppose I could have it choose a good temperature based upon the air temperature which is also exposed by the plugin.

Just for shucks I also tied in the Intellichlor so it can notify me if the Salt level drops below 2800 and the water temperature is > 62 degrees. That way I know it’s time to get a couple of bags of salt from the pool store.

[quote=“rstrouse, post:9, topic:185577”]This is precisely why I wanted to control my pool with Vera. The way the plugin is architected is it ties in directly with the Scene editor and allows me to perform all scenes and triggers on all equipment in the pool. Since these are simply devices to Vera, they are integrated with all other devices that I have in my HA. If there is some piece of equipment that I don’t want to control I simply don’t include it. For instance, I have created a scene for when we are out at dinner with friends. I called it Spa Time. It turns on the spa, and sets the heater. If I wanted to get fancy, I suppose I could have it choose a good temperature based upon the air temperature which is also exposed by the plugin.

Just for shucks I also tied in the Intellichlor so it can notify me if the Salt level drops below 2800 and the water temperature is > 62 degrees. That way I know it’s time to get a couple of bags of salt from the pool store.[/quote]

Since you know the behind the scenes of how these devices work is there a way to use http commands to run deivces on Iaqualink or is their a much more complex communication going on.

As far as I can tell iAqualink does not have an API but the underlying ioBridge does. I couldn’t find anything on a command for instance to start a pump. Theoretically, since it uses HTTP through it’s cloud you should be able to send it an HTTP command either with REST or SOAP. Control 4 has a driver for it using the iAqualink but people on their forums seem to think it sucks. Not because it doesn’t work but it is apparently very limited in what it can do.

The Homeseer folks seem to have gone the Autelis route and I can recommend this. If you already have the iAqualink it will coexist with the Autelis.

You can very easily send an HTTP GET directly from lua to set a device on or off.

In fact a command to turn on your pump to high speed is.
luup.inet.wget(“http://<autelis_ip_address>/get.cgi?name=pump&value=1”, 5, “<autelis_username>”, “<autelis_password>”)

to turn it on to low speed is.
luup.inet.wget(“http://<autelis_ip_address>/get.cgi?name=pumplo&value=1”, 5, “<autelis_username>”, “<autelis_password>”)

[quote=“rstrouse, post:11, topic:185577”]As far as I can tell iAqualink does not have an API but the underlying ioBridge does. I couldn’t find anything on a command for instance to start a pump. Theoretically, since it uses HTTP through it’s cloud you should be able to send it an HTTP command either with REST or SOAP. Control 4 has a driver for it using the iAqualink but people on their forums seem to think it sucks. Not because it doesn’t work but it is apparently very limited in what it can do.

The Homeseer folks seem to have gone the Autelis route and I can recommend this. If you already have the iAqualink it will coexist with the Autelis.

You can very easily send an HTTP GET directly from lua to set a device on or off.

In fact a command to turn on your pump to high speed is.
luup.inet.wget(“http://<autelis_ip_address>/get.cgi?name=pump&value=1”, 5, “<autelis_username>”, “<autelis_password>”)

to turn it on to low speed is.
luup.inet.wget(“http://<autelis_ip_address>/get.cgi?name=pumplo&value=1”, 5, “<autelis_username>”, “<autelis_password>”)[/quote]

Problem is with autelis is that I need another 275.00 controller to go alone with the iAqualink. Also I’m asumming with wont run the scenes in iAqualink only the devices.

Yes scenes in Aqualink appear to be exposed as AUXB circuits just like “Feature Circuits” in the Intellitouch. If you have schedules then these are also exposed. I just didn’t find a reason to put them into the plugin for Intellitouch.

If you think about it, the Autelis device is the same as connecting a control panel. This control panel has no buttons or display but it is connected to your network so you can send it HTTP or TCPSerial commands in lieu of pressing a button. It responds through HTTP calls back to Vera to update the status of your devices just like it would to light up a button on the control panel.

If you look at the docs for the Autelis/Pentair plugin it will give you an idea of the type of control you have. If you download the plugin files and install them, you can run it in Simulation mode where it will give you a simulated pool setup. I built the plugin before having an Autelis device and have not tried it on UI5 since all I have is UI7.

[quote=“rstrouse, post:13, topic:185577”]Yes scenes in Aqualink appear to be exposed as AUXB circuits just like “Feature Circuits” in the Intellitouch. If you have schedules then these are also exposed. I just didn’t find a reason to put them into the plugin for Intellitouch.

If you think about it, the Autelis device is the same as connecting a control panel. This control panel has no buttons or display but it is connected to your network so you can send it HTTP or TCPSerial commands in lieu of pressing a button. It responds through HTTP calls back to Vera to update the status of your devices just like it would to light up a button on the control panel.

If you look at the docs for the Autelis/Pentair plugin it will give you an idea of the type of control you have. If you download the plugin files and install them, you can run it in Simulation mode where it will give you a simulated pool setup. I built the plugin before having an Autelis device and have not tried it on UI5 since all I have is UI7.[/quote]

I’m using the EDGE and UI7 as of this weekend due to recent update now fixing enough to make the change. I still own a lite running ui5.

Problem I have is I’m not to the point of spending 275.00 plus tax and shipping just to add the pool to z-wave.

I’m much more hoping for a http command to use the current servers and smart controller I already have rather then adding another controller. Had I known about this before purchasing the 500 iAqualink upgrade I might have done it.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:14, topic:185577”]Problem I have is I’m not to the point of spending 275.00 plus tax and shipping just to add the pool to z-wave.

I’m much more hoping for a http command to use the current servers and smart controller I already have rather then adding another controller. Had I known about this before purchasing the 500 iAqualink upgrade I might have done it.[/quote]

I hear ya. I was just about to get the ScreenLogic TC15 interface. All in about $1,200 then one of my laminar jets died and there was another $600 so I went looking for an alternative. Really glad I did since I am going to use Vera/Autelis to adjust the power output of my Intellichlor based on the time of year/water temp. I had been running it @85% all winter without realizing it, rumor is over 50% for a month and it will degrade the cell. Normally I don’t run it that high but some time around July 4th I cranked it up and left it without realizing it.

Sure am, if someone want’s a beta tester for IAqualink I am game.

I just got my AquaLink 2.0. I’d like Vera integration for the same reasons, if I’m away, I don’t need the pool lights going on at night. I’m happy to beta test as well!

Just talked to Zodiac again and they confirmed that only 3 players currently have API access which is URC, Crestron and Control4.

They said they have attempted to contact others (vera was unknown to them). They are unwilling for security reasons to release a public API to anyone other then large manufactures of automation equipment and that can prove such. They then said to have someone from VERA call them and that was the end.

If they are worried about the integrity of their API and the plan to is to maintain security by obscurity, then it is extremely worrisome.
I hope it is nothing more than them just attempting to control their costs by limiting the number of requests to the IOBridge platform which powers the iAqualink service.

Hi folks - I am interested in automating my pool setup. My pool has a Jandy Lite2 heater (which acts as a timer and controls the pump) and a Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG (everybody probably knows this already but Jandy was bought by Zodiac a few years ago). I don’t have an iAqualink or any other Aqualink controllers. I do have a Control4 system but I don’t really care about integrating the pool into the C4 system - I just want to control my pool remotely via iOS or a web UI. My equipment is all about 8 years old.

What I am interested in doing is to be able to remotely control the pump and the heater. It would also be nice to be able to control the SWCG but that is a lower priority.

What do I need to do this? An Aqualink Z4-4PI?

Why does this pool automation cost so much? It seems to me that the functionality offered is pretty basic but you end up paying more than $1000 to get automation and more to integrate it into something like Crestron or Control4. That seems pretty basic for a temperature sensor and a few relays and comparing it to stuff like smart irrigation controllers.