How to see what lights I have manually turned on

I notice that if I manually turn on a Linear Z-Wave light switch it does not show up on my software as on. Can that be fixed? Also, I notice that if I turn on a switch manually, it will not run a scene. Is that normal?

Is there anyway to run a scene if you manually turn on a switch? I want to be able to turn on some lights in my house when I leave by manually turning on a Linear Z-Wave light switch. When I do so, it will not run the scene. If I turn on the light in the edge software it runs the scene.

Find your switch in this table and see if it supports “instant status”.

(The phrase “instant status” will give you lots more information if you use it as a search term.)

[quote=“scotstern, post:1, topic:188533”]I notice that if I manually turn on a Linear Z-Wave light switch it does not show up on my software as on. Can that be fixed? Also, I notice that if I turn on a switch manually, it will not run a scene. Is that normal?

Is there anyway to run a scene if you manually turn on a switch? I want to be able to turn on some lights in my house when I leave by manually turning on a Linear Z-Wave light switch. When I do so, it will not run the scene. If I turn on the light in the edge software it runs the scene.[/quote]

When you turn on a switch manually if it has instant status it sends a signal to VERA to update the status right away. Vera has what is called polling where it goes around a checks in on each device and updates it status. If you device doesn’t have instant status then it relies on vera polling only. Polling time depends on settings, and how busy vera is. The more devices the longer it takes to go around and check each one. It makes a circle. If its a battery device then it sleeps and vera can’t poll until it wakes up. Switches usually take a few min. to update.

@futzle, great list however it is missing some mfgr e.g. Leviton

[quote=“futzle, post:2, topic:188533”]Find your switch in this table and see if it supports “instant status”.

(The phrase “instant status” will give you lots more information if you use it as a search term.)[/quote]

The “instant status” can not make the difference between “manually” and “automatically” switch.

True. But…

this is the limitation of switches that don’t feature instant status. It’s not the difference between manual and ‘automatic’ that matters, in this case.

While this doesn’t help the OP, it may be related. Something has happened recently that is preventing my VE from updating on devices (Aeotech mini dimmers and switches with parameter 80 set to 1) that had been working just fine.

I just made the move from my VERA Lite to the Edge, and initially, everything worked fine. But within a few days, I’ve started noticing that the VE dashboard (or homautmation app) don’t report changes when I activate the devices manually (or through my HA07 remotes).

Further, I’m finding that my PLEG scripts are reporting that an action has executed (true state) but the device has not. It’s hit or miss. Some things still work 100% (like door locks and Leviton VRF01 fan controllers).

I’ve submitted an email to support about a week ago. No answer yet.

This may have been asked and answered, but… The naive solution would seem to be to set the polling interval for the device to a low number, say just a few seconds, but that doesn’t have any effect on when the Vera notices the change in state while a manual poll returns the state instantly. In my case, I have only a few devices (27) and scenes (21). Does any one know why the polling interval has no effect?

Do not mess with the polling interval …
You will not get the results you wish … It will only make your Z-Wave network unstable!

If you do not have Instant Status … you just do NOT get notified right away … live with it … or buy new z-wave switches!

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:9, topic:188533”]Do not mess with the polling interval …
You will not get the results you wish … It will only make your Z-Wave network unstable!

If you do not have Instant Status … you just do NOT get notified right away … live with it … or buy new z-wave switches![/quote]

Richard, is there something that might have happened with the latest release of UI7 (perhaps only affecting those that migrated from a UI7 VL to VE) that would cause sudden loss of reporting? My devices were all reporting almost instantly. Now most devices on indicated on the dashboard are clueless as to the state of the devices…

The Z-Wave+ driver in the latest release (Aug-15) of UI7 was changed and from the reports on the forum is not very stable.
The new release is not always the better release!

At the risk of hijacking this thread, is there a simple process by which the zwave driver can be rolled back (without doing other damage to my configuration)? A side effect of the latest issue is that PLEG status windows show all triggers and conditions are true, but the action doesn’t fire. Very intermittent, but I end up with lights that are staying on, or emails that don’t get sent.

If you are on the latest firmware on the Vera Edge, call support and have them downgrade you one to 1.0.9 instead of 1.0.10

Is the VE firmware the same as the z-wave driver that Richard is talking about? I only ask because under z-wave settings, I see a version 3.83 L:1.

My VE firmware version is: 1.7.1320. I’m stumped.

Yes 1.7.1320 is another name for 1.0.10, and contains the z-wave firmware update. Ask support to down grade you one.

Support just replied to my initial request for help. Here’s their response:

I have checked your unit and from the logs I?ve noticed that your devices were reporting the energy consumption too often to the Vera unit. This caused the unit to act slow and also this is the main reason why the status of your devices was not updated on the UI and the PLEG scripts failed to start.

I was needed to make some changes on your devices to report the energy consumption to the Vera less frequently, at every 60 seconds. For this I?ve added the parameter 111 with the data size 4byte dec and value 60 to all your smart switches.

Could you please test your devices and let me know if you are still having the same issue?

Regarding the healing feature, you should know that we have implemented a new firmware update for the z-wave chip, which was provided by Sigma http://z-wave.sigmadesigns.com/about_z-wave

This new firmware does not need the heal anymore because it creates the route/ or updates it automatically, upon inclusion of removal of a device. Also, It?s still doing it?s background route updating on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, that didn’t solve my issue with the reporting. I’m still seeing the same smart dimmers/switches showing off (yet, the wattage is correctly displayed as though they’re on). I’ve asked that they give me a phone call. Something are better discussed than emailed.

I finally landed my support call this afternoon. The guy I’m working with asked that I place my VL back next to the VE, and he’s going to transfer everything again. He’s been working on it since 1P (2.5 hours so far) and calls me at various intervals. Already I can tell he’s undone all of the changes I’ve made to some of my scripts.

I asked him about the latest driver, and he claims they tested it extensively and found no negative issues. I was not forceful in demanding we go back to an older version, but perhaps I should?

@richardtschaefer - Is there anything specific that I can research or cite when talking to these guys that will give me some credibility as to why I’m asking for the older version? I searched for zwave drivers in the forums and found nothing recent that would explain the problem.

[quote=“erkme73, post:17, topic:188533”]I finally landed my support call this afternoon. The guy I’m working with asked that I place my VL back next to the VE, and he’s going to transfer everything again. He’s been working on it since 1P (2.5 hours so far) and calls me at various intervals. Already I can tell he’s undone all of the changes I’ve made to some of my scripts.

I asked him about the latest driver, and he claims they tested it extensively and found no negative issues. I was not forceful in demanding we go back to an older version, but perhaps I should?

@richardtschaefer - Is there anything specific that I can research or cite when talking to these guys that will give me some credibility as to why I’m asking for the older version? I searched for zwave drivers in the forums and found nothing recent that would explain the problem.[/quote]

If he fixes your problem it shouldn’t matter what version your on. I have 3 veras and one i reverted the other 2 are ok. The one I went back on had problems with the red house saying device disconnected.

If works on the latest let it be if it doesn’t revert.

Ultimately you are correct. I don’t want to fix something that’s not broken. But, if it’s not working after all the ‘work’ support has done today, I’ll need a plan B. For now, Johnathan at support said I should let it run overnight and let it figure out all the correct routing.

I asked if there was no way to manually initiate a repair/heal operation - he said, “no, not in the latest firmware”. I asked him if that changed with the latest update on the 15th, and he confirmed.

So, figures that right about the time I jump to the VE, all the previous ways of fixing things go away.

As of right now, ALL devices controlled by the HA07’s take 20+ seconds to respond. Definitely walking the wrong direction.

This is the thread which has many reported problems/issues with the latest firmware: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,33201.0.html

Routing and devices falling off or showing in a bad state are frequent complains.
If the routes are bad unfortunately polling is going to be greatly delayed.