Has anyone successfully hooked up a wired doorbell to Schlage RS100HC Door Sensr

Bulldoglowell,

Can you please share details of your MIMOlite / Soil Moisture implementation?
What readings do you get and how do use it with irrigation controller?

Thanks

I powered the Mimo and the Vegitronix VH400 with the power supply that came with the Mimo. The probe is buried in the soil in a bed that is (watered with the regular irrigation) near to my grass but covered with mulch so the wires are well concealed and protected from my landscapers (and me).

The VH400 outputs from 0-3VDC zero being dry and 3V basically immersed in water.

I followed the instructions for the Mimo plugin which creates a few devices in Vera (pulse, relay, voltage sensor) One of these is a “generic sensor” and once connected to Mimo, you will see the output voltage of whatever is attached.

I messed around with feeling the soil with my hands and the readouts to figure out what ‘dry’ was.

I read its value with my irrigation PLEG and turn off the water saver when the voltage reads low.

This was not cheap compared to an Arduino solution but I wasn’t doing the MySensors thing back then. Since I have my gateway now, I bought two water sensors from China and am going to try to put them into two big pots that we have next to the pool. I’ll see how that does to help me keep them watered.

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:22, topic:179666”]I powered the Mimo and the Vegitronix VH400 with the power supply that came with the Mimo. The probe is buried in the soil in a bed that is (watered with the regular irrigation) near to my grass but covered with mulch so the wires are well concealed and protected from my landscapers (and me).

The VH400 outputs from 0-3VDC zero being dry and 3V basically immersed in water.

I followed the instructions for the Mimo plugin which creates a few devices in Vera (pulse, relay, voltage sensor) One of these is a “generic sensor” and once connected to Mimo, you will see the output voltage of whatever is attached.

I messed around with feeling the soil with my hands and the readouts to figure out what ‘dry’ was.

I read its value with my irrigation PLEG and turn off the water saver when the voltage reads low.

This was not cheap compared to an Arduino solution but I wasn’t doing the MySensors thing back then. Since I have my gateway now, I bought two water sensors from China and am going to try to put them into two big pots that we have next to the pool. I’ll see how that does to help me keep them watered.[/quote]

Thank you Bulldoglowell, this is very helpful.

And thanks for pointing out to Arduino solution.
I have 15 zone irrigation with different soil/shade composition.
I would need about 5 soil moisture sensors to fine-tune my irrigation, so Arduino-based relays is probably the way to go.
Any suggestions on on a good Arduino kit to start with and thoughts on how to implement it?

I also looked at cheapo soil moisture sensors but did not figure out housing for soil burying near roots.

Thanks
A

I successfully got my Elk 930 doorbell detector working with a MIMOlite by wiring it as described then installing the MIMOlite plugin (which exposes 3 virtual devices).

http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=3816

I then went to advanced configuration as per Smart Home - The Last You'll Ever Need - Ezlo Smart Home MIMOlight Technical Appendix and set the following ZWave configuration values (under Device Options):

Variable 8 = 1 byte hex = 2 (0 = Binary + 2 = trigger outside range)
Variable 9 = 1 byte hex = 1 (more frequent updates - 10s Update interval)

This made the module trigger when the doorbell is pressed, instead of triggering when it’s not pressed. I had been seeing occasional false reports in the inverse mode (as expected). I’ll report if I continue to see false reports. If I do, I probably need to fiddle with Variables 4-7 (analog).

Do you know if you have your MimoLite P5 jumper on or off for doorbell alert operation ?

Right now, I have my P5 jumper ‘off’ and I see a green light every time the doorbell is pressed but I can’t get the ‘event’ ‘triggers’ to work in UI5

Not sure if I need to put the P5 jumper back on or not.

OK, I have attached my planned schematic. Can someone tell me whether it will work? The doorbell transformer is in my garage where I have a mimolite already to operate the garage door. I am only using the relay portion, so I want to run doorbell wire from the mimolite across the garage to the transformer to read when the doorbell button has been pressed. I want to wire it on the return circuit so I can tell when current is flowing (meaning the bell is active).

http://imgur.com/1wLLsWq

I am a newbie to the forum but I got mine to work exactly as you did it. Powered with outlet, and same diagram of the wiring.

Also, I removed the P5 jumper from the MimoLite.

When I ring the doorbell now, the ‘green light’ on the MimoLite flashes. But, at first, I could not get alerts to work. My trouble was getting the MimoLite installed properly in UI5. I called tech support this morning and was walked through it (we deleted the app and reinstalled it, and then I set up an alert for the second “binary sensor” that comes up—two will come up in devices). Now, everytime my doorbell rings, I get the alerts/actions that I want.

For me, the P5 jumper needed to be removed. Hope this helps.

-John

[quote=“JFalc, post:27, topic:179666”]I am a newbie to the forum but I got mine to work exactly as you did it. Powered with outlet, and same diagram of the wiring.

Also, I removed the P5 jumper from the MimoLite.

When I ring the doorbell now, the ‘green light’ on the MimoLite flashes. But, at first, I could not get alerts to work. My trouble was getting the MimoLite installed properly in UI5. I called tech support this morning and was walked through it (we deleted the app and reinstalled it, and then I set up an alert for the second “binary sensor” that comes up—two will come up in devices). Now, everytime my doorbell rings, I get the alerts/actions that I want.

For me, the P5 jumper needed to be removed. Hope this helps.

-John[/quote]

I’ve attempted to wire this up, but it is not working so well. I have the SG1 input wired in series with the wire that returns from the bell to the transformer. The voltage readings in the “generic sensor” of the mimolite seem kind of erratic and the actual doorbell won’t chime now.

I also trued to just wire the mimolite in parallel with the two transformer wires. The bell rings, but the voltage is still kind of erratic and I can’t really make a scene out of it.

Can you post a picture of how you have it wired? Or anyone? My wiring is obviously wrong somewhere or I have a setting wrong in the MIMOlite.

EDIT: I have disconnected the mimolite from my doorbell and just have the two wires hanging out of the mimolite (not touching each other or anything else). The generic sensor reads “level 2143”. Shouldn’t it be zero?

Reply #9 to this thread has a wiring diagram.
That is what mine looks like (sort of) but mine is a little different because I have two chimes and one button.

My “generic sensor” reading is “4”, and I think it has consistently been a really low number.

The other sensor for MimoLite(Pulse Meter) is blank for me.

FYI, at first, when I did my wiring correctly, it didn’t do what I wanted to do until I got on the telephone with tech support and uninstalled my MIMO LITE app and reinstalled it with them walking me through it.

Not sure why but after the uninstall and reinstall, all worked fine from there.

Because our “generic sensor” numbers are so different, I suspect you currently have it wired differently from me.

My transformer is 16v 10va. I’ll post my diagram but it probably wont match your setup because I have two chimes. There are five points in my setup…

Door Button
Chime 1 (downstairs)
Chime 2 (upstairs)
Transformer
MimoLite

MimoLite is powered via power outlet
P5 jumper is removed.
Doorbell is connected to MimoLite via the + - next to the ‘green light’.

Each time my doorbell rings, the ‘green light’ on the MimoLite flashes. (otherwise, the green light is NOT on).

Earlier, when I had it wired wrong, the green light would remain ‘on’ and even be superbright. Now, with it wired correctly, the green light is ‘off’, only flashing on when the doorbell is pushed/chimed. Red light on the MimoLite is ‘off’.

Hope that info helps with your configuration.

I will post my diagram in a short while (update:just posted it) but please be aware that the ‘red’ ‘white’ notations match the color of my existing wiring in the home and are not designed that way for clarity…in fact, there is a ‘white’ wire or two that should be ‘red’ in my opinion because the wiring in my house is mostly ‘white’ for transformer and ‘red’ for button, but there are exceptions. My wiring diagram may be more confusing than helpful. Again, I’d recommend the diagram at Reply#9 to this thread. I found Reply #9 useful and it greatly assisted me in getting this to work.

FINALLY, keep trying. I put this aside for a few months because it was difficult but now that it is working and I get a text message every time my doorbell rings, I am happy. It is a nice feature while at work to know people are coming to your door (I also have an External 4 cam DVR setup so I can check to see who rang the bell).

I just went upstairs and ‘disconnected’ my setup to see if the readings matched yours.

The below configurations are based upon MimoLite being plugged into a power outlet and the + - next to the green light being connected to wires that are disconnected from everything…just hanging wires.

After disconnecting MimoLite, my generic sensor level went to “2152”, and my ‘green light’ now is constantly “on”, whereas before it was 'off" and the generic sensor when all was correctly setup was “4”

There is something wrong with your wiring I believe. It seems the Mimo is correctly responding to the ‘plugged-in but disconnected’ status.

AFTER RECONNECTING to my doorbell, green light is now ‘off’ and generic sensor back to “4”.

Thanks for the post, that helps clarify a little bit. At least I know my mimolite is probably working correctly, just wired incorrectly.

I am trying to hook this up completely at the transformer. My bell and button are on the other side of the house and I can’t easily run wires there.

The mimolite is in the garage and I am trying to use only the red and white wires that depart the transformer. Additionally, I have a lighted doorbell, so I don’t know if that complicates this setup.

If I measure the voltage at the transformer, it is a steady 21.5VAC. When the button is pressed, it drops to about 14.5VAC. I think the only way to get my setup to work is to measure that voltage change and report when it drops. So, wire the mimolite + to the white wire at the transformer and the mimolite - to the white wire at the transformer (in parallel).

I tried my original proposal which was to wire RED WIRE —> MIMOLITE ----> Transformer to monitor a voltage increase when the circuit is completed. However, my doorbell no longer works when wired this way.

Here is an updated diagram after I have examined all the wiring and voltages:
http://imgur.com/PP4fiZK

I have a lighted button. I don’t think that is an issue.

I don’t think you can just wire it all at the transformer. I tried that at first and it never worked for me.

What I did was I went in the attic and ran a separate wire from the CHIME to the same place the TRANSFORMER was located (why? because at the furnace closet where the transformer was located, I was able to plug MIMOlite into a wall outlet and I wanted to just use a wall outlet)

As a temporary solution, why don’t you try wiring the MIMOLITE it at the CHIME instead? (and run an ordinary power extension cord to plug in the MIMO to the nearest wall outlet)…then you will know at least if that doorbell wiring works?

If it does work, you have two options…run a separate wire from the chime to the transformer. – or figure out how to hardwire POWER to the MIMOLITE at the location of the CHIME. (Others have done this too).

I would try connecting MIMOLITE (at the chime) to the wire that comes from the OUTSIDE BUTTON, and to the other wire. Just to see if that wiring works.

-John

P.S. I have no knowledge of the voltage information so I don’t really know how to interpret that.

I was afraid of that. I will try to wire it near the chime and see if it works (at least I’ll know if it’s worth buying another one).

I was also thinking that maybe the SG1 input just can’t read constant AC power properly since it changes at 60 times per second and isn’t a steady flow. I might also try to buy a $15 AC-DC rectifier to see if that will give me a steady reading that can be monitored solely at the transformer. It’s just frustrating because I can sit there with a voltmeter and monitor the voltages changes that are very predictable and I know the SG1 input can read these voltage changes (I’ve read the manual/tech appendix too many times to count now).

Anyway, thanks for the input and time explaining your setup! I’ll post back when I get something working!

I just tried redrawing my wiring diagram to better understand it (see attached).

I think if you hook up the MIMOLITE at the CHIME, with Mimo"+" to the ‘front’ connection on the Chime,
and Mimo"-" to the “trans” connection on the Chime,
it should give you the desired result. (with P5 jumper on MIMO removed)

Good luck.

I think I have success! I wanted to keep the wiring in the garage at the transformer, so I did this a little different than everyone else:

I soldered a AC to DC rectifier plus a capacitor to smooth out the AC signal from the transformer to a DC signal that the mimolite could easily monitor. The base reading is around 24V and I just setup the mimolite to trigger if it drops below 23.9V basically. This seems to be working pretty reliably. I will post another thread in a day or two when I get some time to detail the steps and show some pictures of how it is setup.

About $10 in parts from radio shack (plus the mimolite I was already using for my garage door) and I’m getting door bell notifications!

[quote=“nomar383, post:35, topic:179666”]I think I have success! I wanted to keep the wiring in the garage at the transformer, so I did this a little different than everyone else:

I soldered a AC to DC rectifier plus a capacitor to smooth out the AC signal from the transformer to a DC signal that the mimolite could easily monitor. The base reading is around 24V and I just setup the mimolite to trigger if it drops below 23.9V basically. This seems to be working pretty reliably. I will post another thread in a day or two when I get some time to detail the steps and show some pictures of how it is setup.

About $10 in parts from radio shack (plus the mimolite I was already using for my garage door) and I’m getting door bell notifications![/quote]

i think this is exactly what i need to do as well. i have 2 red wires from my transformer and there is a constant voltage that drops when the button is pressed. can you provide some detail and pictures? it would be much appreciated. thank you.

Is there a way to do this with the wiring all next to the chime box? My transformer is sort of accessible but I’d have to pull out some recessed lighting cans to get to it and not very excited about that.

Thanks for all of the information in this post. I’m having some trouble at the very early stages of testing and wondering if anyone might have some insight.

I just purchased the MIMOLITE, fired it up and enrolled the device into my Veralite. I can see the actual device and can even toggle the relay when clicking the ‘on’ button via the Vera UI, for the actual device that appears (appliance module).

I then installed the MIMOLITE plugin, added the [device ID,3] to the settings, and I get the virtual devices to appear no problem (actually, I am getting 2 of each, including 2 of the binary devices, which I think is the applicable one for my use).

For the sake of testing, before implementing in my doorbell wiring, I simply took 2 leads from SIG1 +/- and made contact with a 9V battery. The green LED lights whenever I make contact with the battery terminals, however, I get absolutely no indication in the VERA UI on either of the virtual binary sensors that any activity has occurred (the running man never changes color, etc).

I enrolled the MIMOLITE both with and without jumper 5 in place just to see if it made a difference w/o success.

I’ve repeatedly uninstalled and re-installed and re-configured the MIMOLITE plugin to no avail. I’m not sure what else to test / try, as this all seems pretty straightforward and basic at this point :frowning:

So, for future reference, should anyone else happen upon this thread, I FINALLY got this to work to my satisfaction, and to do so, in my environment, it was MANDATORY for me to modify / set custom parameter settings for the module per the technical appendix on the Fortrezz site.

I found that it would appear that SIG1 when its input is left open / floating (no doorbell pressed), that its value would range (float) between 0 and ~2300. I know that when I push my doorbell (whose transformer is 10V), that the value SIG1 (connected to doorbell in parallel), should far exceed the 2,300 reading (over 3,000).

So, in reading and deciphering the technical appendix, I figured I could try and set the binary sensor to only trigger when the generic
sensor reading is essentially >= 3000.

To do so, I went ahead and first determined the 12 bit equivalent values for the lower threshold (0,1) and higher thresholds (2998,2999), which in hex are 0,1,BB6,BB7 respectively.

Taking one example, for the decimal 2999, if I bitwise shift this value by getting rid of the first four least significant bits (going
from 12 to 8 bits, per their instructions), in decimal I end up with 187, which equates to “BB” in hex. For 2998, using the same logic, I end up with “BA”.

So, in hex 8 bit (1 byte), I set my thresholds in the parameters in my Vera unit for the “appliance module” for the MimoLite to:

P4: 1 (lower threshold high)
P5: 0 (lower threshold low)
P6: BB (upper threshold high)
P7: BA (upper threshold low)
P8: 00 (trigger when outside the ranges above, analog input).

After making the above changes, I am no longer seeing the binary sensor triggered randomly as the value floats below my P6/P7 parameters, but when the button is pressed (door bell), I see the binary sensor gets tripped like clockwork!

After seeing this, I went ahead and setup a trigger to make a call for sending push notifications to me and my wife, using the PushBullet API, and initiate a custom MP3 file to play over my sonos speakers throughout the entire house (in addition to the actual doorbell ring as well).

We’ll see in time how reliable this is, but so far, so good over the past 48 hours (no false positives, notification every time I ring the bell for testing).

Lots of great information in this thread, looking to do this soon.