Has anyone successfully hooked up a wired doorbell to Schlage RS100HC Door Sensr

Has anyone successfully hooked up a wired doorbell to Schlage RS100HC door sensor

I read in these forums how the Schlage RS100HC door sensor has an undocumented wiring screw to trip it.

I am not going to use the Schlage RS100HC Door Sensor to sense a door. I want to use it differently.
I have a standard wired doorbell.

What I want to accomplish is that I wire the doorbell into the Schlage too so that the doorbell rings when the doorbell is pushed, but it ALSO trips the door sensor/Vera.

I want a text message everytime someone rings my doorbell.

Has anyone accomplished this? I have searched the forums about people contemplating doing this but havent found someone who made this work or a simple wiring diagram for how to include the Schlage in the doorbell wiring.

Any help would be appreicated (even to just find out that it is not really possible would be helpful).

-John

I have Schlage door/window sensors on all my doors. I have vera setup to send me push notifications through Vera app called Push Notifications and online service called PushOver when doors are opened. Typically get the push notifications instantly if I have internet on my Iphone. I have an old retired phone, my phone, and my wife’s phone all receiving the notifications so they are acting as our door chimes. Some user have Vera Alerts set to send to their Sonos speakers to act as door chimes.

I do not have anything wired through my door bell. I have motion camera’s that alert me of movement along my walk so hadn’t had a need for door bell alerts. However they do make z-wave relay switches so I’m assuming it’s possible. I installed a relay switch to my garage door.

We don’t bother with the doorbell button, but instead use a motion detector pointed at our front door. Any motion causes prowl messages to be sent to our smartphones/tablets.

(Prowl is used because prowl’s free message limits/sizes are much larger than pushover, and I use prowl to send all sorts of notifications.)

The way I would do what you want is to add a 24V relay and wire the NC and C to my door bell terminals so when the doorbell is rang the relay is energized and then trips the RS100HC.

Create you scene from the tripped RS100HC to message you or whatever you want then.

One of my first projects was to hook up my doorbell, but I didn’t use the Schlage door sensor. I was concerned about putting a voltage across the sensor and for me to add another relay, well I couldn’t be bothered.

My doorbell is 12V so for about $10 more I wired in a MimoLite into the bell. It gets its power from the existing transformer in the wall and I wired it in parallel with the bell. It also fit inside the existing housing and is invisible. The MimoLite will work up to 24VDC, by the way. Finally, I don’t have to worry about changing that little battery.

So, the doorbell rings, and we get an alert through HomeWave’s push notification.

This happens to be one of the automation projects my wife actually likes. Since our dog died (she was the former alert system in practice at our house) we have at times left people outside for a while because we were in the back yard…

I have done exactly what you are asking about and it’s really really simple to do.

I didn’t have an existing doorbell and didn’t have any wires running to the location where I wanted it. My house’s front door is actually on the side of the house which is guarded by a gate. I wanted the doorbell at the gate (which we always keep locked since a burglary a few years ago), rather than my front door.

I bought the schlage sensor, a standard doorbell, and a waterproof box that could hold all the stuff and fit in between rungs of the gate. I drilled some holes in the box to install the doorbell, hooked it up with some spare wire to the sensor and paired it. Then I set up a few scenes to run when it was pressed.

The first scene sends me a message to Prowl with a unique sound on it that got my attention. This scene does NOT require the sensor to be armed. The second one sent a command to a freebsd storage array I have that I hooked up a speaker to, and it plays a standard doorbell chime. This one does require it be armed.

The best part of this set up is that when my daughter is sleeping it automatically disables the sensor in turn disabling audible doorbell (so she won’t wake up), but i still get the notification on the phone.

Since I did not have an existing doorbell I didn’t have to worry about any electrical current as the only power came from the battery of the door sensor.

For you, It think you’d have to use a relay in order to avoid things getting fried.

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:5, topic:179666”]One of my first projects was to hook up my doorbell, but I didn’t use the Schlage door sensor. I was concerned about putting a voltage across the sensor and for me to add another relay, well I couldn’t be bothered.

My doorbell is 12V so for about $10 more I wired in a MimoLite into the bell. It gets its power from the existing transformer in the wall and I wired it in parallel with the bell. It also fit inside the existing housing and is invisible. The MimoLite will work up to 24VDC, by the way. Finally, I don’t have to worry about changing that little battery.

So, the doorbell rings, and we get an alert through HomeWave’s push notification.

This happens to be one of the automation projects my wife actually likes. Since our dog died (she was the former alert system in practice at our house) we have at times left people outside for a while because we were in the back yard…[/quote]

Thanks for all the great responses. From what I heard and quickly googled, the MimoLite sounds like the easiest option for me. A few questions before I order…

Does it trigger even if the doorbell ring is only momentary?  (or will I need some other items such as a 'relay'?)

is the MIMOLite as simple as ‘add it to your wired doorbell’ and you have a doorbell sensor trigger on top off your audible doorbell?

Thanks again,
John

[quote=“JFalc, post:7, topic:179666”] Does it trigger even if the doorbell ring is only momentary? (or will I need some other items such as a ‘relay’?)

is the MIMOLite as simple as ‘add it to your wired doorbell’ and you have a doorbell sensor trigger on top off your audible doorbell?

Thanks again,
John[/quote]

So, the Mimo (agreed a bit of overkill for the application but again, never needs a battery in this application) is very good at detecting a voltage and I would say, even if you do not hear an audible ring (if you have an old school buzzer for example) you will get your trigger insofar as that button closed the circuit. I actually messed about with mine and it was very good at detecting what we refer to as the “UPS Ring and Run.”

It is as simple as:
a: Adding it to your wired doorbell making sure that you wire the power parallel to power to the bell and the sensor parallel to the door button.
b: Installing the MimoLite plugin and selecting the widget for analogue voltage.
c: Setting up your alerts in Vera Alerts, HomeWave, or any other alert you which to use.

Another nice thing is that this is really an invisible install. Plus the light on the doorbell button still works.

Just check for room inside the bell housing. I had lots which made this easy.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

a: Adding it to your wired doorbell making sure that you wire the power parallel to power to the bell and the sensor parallel to the door button.

I have had no luck with my Everspring Door Sensor + ELK 930 (Door bell detector). Some say I need to add yet another Elk 960 which makes it so complicated just for detecting doorbell.

Is MimoLite the only component I need for this design? I can’t visualize the wiring schema so I really appreciate if you can elaborate a little more on what the wiring changes are?

Thank you!

You need the MimoLite and some bell wire and a couple small wire connectors.

I attached a wiring schematic. It really is very simple.

**bear in mind that some Doorbells that are lighted may use a normally closed button and a relay. If you have that, you can wire to the opposite side of the relay or set your mimo to trigger when it sees no volts.

I ordered the MIMOLite. Am looking forward to doorbell triggering.

Currently, I have a single wired doorbell with two chimes. (Schematic attached)…
(it took me 2 years to get my wired doorbell working. I am electrically-challenged but I think this schematic is correct).

What do you think of the attached proposed schematic for adding the MIMO? Do you think it should it work ?

Are there any settings that need to be applied to the MIMO ?

[quote=“JFalc, post:11, topic:179666”]I ordered the MIMOLite. Am looking forward to doorbell triggering.

Currently, I have a single wired doorbell with two chimes. (Schematic attached)…
(it took me 2 years to get my wired doorbell working. I am electrically-challenged but I think this schematic is correct).

What do you think of the attached proposed schematic for adding the MIMO? Do you think it should it work ?

Are there any settings that need to be applied to the MIMO ?[/quote]

Looks great.

their instructions will help you set up the device so that it works just like a door sensor, so you then configure your push notifications.

this is one cool device. We just did a lawn moisture sensor with the Vegitronix VH400 Soil Moisture Sensor and it works great.

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:10, topic:179666”]You need the MimoLite and some bell wire and a couple small wire connectors.

I attached a wiring schematic. It really is very simple.

**bear in mind that some Doorbells that are lighted may use a normally closed button and a relay. If you have that, you can wire to the opposite side of the relay or set your mimo to trigger when it sees no volts.[/quote]

My MimoLite arrived today.

I have a non-lighted wired doorbell I am planning on attaching it to.

Question: Would you remove jumper 5 (Momentary relay function) or leave Jumper 5 on (for latched relay)?

My guess is remove it for Momentary Relay but I wanted to be sure.

Also, did you remove Jumper 5 AFTER you included it in with Z-Wave Vera , or before you did anything at all?

Thanks again,
John

I’ll have to look. As I recall, I’m using voltage sensing and not relay.

I can’t remember right now and I’m not home.

Get back to you…

Please don’t disturb your working setup on my account.

I will try it both ways and report back to the forum.

Thanks again,
-John

OK, so I found my notes.

I connected the Mimo to the doorbell power first, with two short wires off of the Input (Sig1) contacts.

a) included Mimo to my vera lite. and recorded the device number (97 in my case)
b) downloaded the MimoLite App
c) waited for lua restart
d) followed Fortrezz’s instructions to add the 3 devices by adding the device number and the “3” in the variables line [97,3] in their instructions, they used [300,3]
e) Saved and restarted.

I then (with my laptop at the Mimo) used a regular 9volt battery to energize Sig1 and saw the device status change (running man) change when I applied the voltage. it is the BINARY device that looks like a motion sensor.

I then wired in the sensor to the power supply in parallel with the bell, like your schematic.

That was it. I then created a notification (regular vera notification at that time, but since then I have a HomeWave push notification) to send a message when the device was tripped

I never messed with the jumper, according to my notes.

According to the manual, Mimo should trip with a 1V signal, I used the 9volt battery because it was well into the range of the sensor’s input requirement. I could get it to trip with a standard AA (1.5V) battery.

Let us know how you do.

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:16, topic:179666”]OK, so I found my notes.

I connected the Mimo to the doorbell power first, with two short wires off of the Input (Sig1) contacts.

a) included Mimo to my vera lite. and recorded the device number (97 in my case)
b) downloaded the MimoLite App
c) waited for lua restart
d) followed Fortrezz’s instructions to add the 3 devices by adding the device number and the “3” in the variables line [97,3] in their instructions, they used [300,3]
e) Saved and restarted.

I then (with my laptop at the Mimo) used a regular 9volt battery to energize Sig1 and saw the device status change (running man) change when I applied the voltage. it is the BINARY device that looks like a motion sensor.

I then wired in the sensor to the power supply in parallel with the bell, like your schematic.

That was it. I then created a notification (regular vera notification at that time, but since then I have a HomeWave push notification) to send a message when the device was tripped

I never messed with the jumper, according to my notes.

According to the manual, Mimo should trip with a 1V signal, I used the 9volt battery because it was well into the range of the sensor’s input requirement. I could get it to trip with a standard AA (1.5V) battery.

Let us know how you do.[/quote]

Is there anyway you can snap a picture of this setup? I am having trouble visualizing where everything is hooked up. Is it all at the bell itself or at the transformer?

I am very interested in doing this setup after reading about many alternatives.

In my house the transformer is inside the bell’s housing.

you only have to find the power from the transformer. For mimo that can be 12-24volts 9-24 VDC or 9-18VAC. then find the two leads that attach to the relay that powers the solenoid. I’d send a photo but I am not home. I should be able to do it later this week.

edited the voltages for the power supply

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:18, topic:179666”]In my house the transformer is inside the bell’s housing.

you only have to find the power from the transformer. For mimo that can be 12-24volts 9-24 VDC or 9-18VAC. then find the two leads that attach to the relay that powers the solenoid. I’d send a photo but I am not home. I should be able to do it later this week.

edited the voltages for the power supply[/quote]

If the transformer supplies AC power, will a relay or converter of some sort be required to make it DC to power the mimolite?

not if the output voltage is less than 18Volts. Have you tested the output voltage of the transformer?