Fibaro Door/Window Sensor 2 (FGDW-002) Vera compatibility

There does not seem to be a specific thread for this new (2017) product. Like “The Button”, MCV just hasn’t added it to the list of supported devices.

Sure it pairs, but none of the features work properly - I can open and close my front door and nothing seems to happen. The battery indictor does show 100% however. The temperature shows 28.1 whatever the temperature!

Elsewhere there are workarounds to reconfigure the device as a Door/Window sensor instead of Generic I/O, but that’s not what we want. Vera support promised that The Button would be supported “soon” and that was back in Nov 2016 and we are still waiting.

If anybody has achieved success with this sensor, could we please have some help? Marc, if you read this, can we trouble you for an update?

Elsewhere in this forum the remark has been made that for instant success with Fibaro hardware, go buy an HC-2 - then, as you would expect, it all works perfectly. With very slow support from MCV for new devices, more folk may well do just that!

I ordered 6 of these yesterday.
Of course, I expected them to work.
Is there any way to make them work? :frowning:

The devices arrived today.
If someone could help me get them to work, I would be really grateful.

Everlasring vera discussion… device support… :-\

I’ve just bought 2 of these sensors today as well. Paired them up successfully and then… nothing no sensing whatsoever just a basic On/Off and the temperature.

Whilst Googling what the issue could be came across this thread. Time to hang head in hands…

So I’ve now got 2 rather expensive temperature monitors for a door!

Same thing… Got two units and can’t get them to work properly…
I thought Fibaro was an official partner and thus safe to buy these… Obviously not…

May be helpful if someone starts a fire outside your doors. 8)

Fibaro the button was listed as being as a supported device:

http://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2846009-ui7-▾-software-update-▾-version-7-0-22-1-7-963-1-7-3014-1-7-3015-1-7-3016-▾-august-3-2017

Hi!

Is there any news on integrating FGDW-002?

Vera guys?

BR,

Same here - exactly as above mentioned. 6 units obsolete - disappointing!!

Vera is positioned for the poor - you pay peanuts - you get monkeys! Development is constantly done “on line” on the customers.

If it wasn’t for the PLEG I would switch to Fibaro long ago!

Fibaro has its own issues. When I asked professionals about which system to choose most (all?) told me that in terms of compatibility with devices Vera is better than Fibaro. They also pointed that Vera gives more flexibility and options for advanced users (i.e. if you want to use Lua scripting, you have to buy HC2 controller, because in Light version Lua scripting is not possible).
For example AFAIK Fibaro don’t support Qubino modules and don’t even plan to integrate them (they are Fibaro’s direct competitor in Europe).

In fact part of the issue with Fibaro devices is probably their attitude. They are focused on their own system and probably don’t care much about compatibility with other solutions.
If you for example call or e-mail their support, they’ll give you very competent answer, but only about how to integrate/configure device with their controllers. Not much info about how specific functions of their devices will work with other controllers.
When I’ve asked similar question to guys from Qubino, they did a real testing of the device with Vera unit to check for sure how it will work.

From the other hand, I like Fibaro’s graphical interface for creating scenes, and I would wish something like that in Vera. Or some other features like sections which aggregate several rooms.

Fibaro has its own issues. When I asked professionals about which system to choose most (all?) told me that in terms of compatibility with devices Vera is better than Fibaro. They also pointed that Vera gives more flexibility and options for advanced users (i.e. if you want to use Lua scripting, you have to buy HC2 controller, because in Light version Lua scripting is not possible).
For example AFAIK Fibaro don’t support Qubino modules and don’t even plan to integrate them (they are Fibaro’s direct competitor in Europe).

In fact part of the issue with Fibaro devices is probably their attitude. They are focused on their own system and probably don’t care much about compatibility with other solutions.
If you for example call or e-mail their support, they’ll give you very competent answer, but only about how to integrate/configure device with their controllers. Not much info about how specific functions of their devices will work with other controllers.
When I’ve asked similar question to guys from Qubino, they did a real testing of the device with Vera unit to check for sure how it will work.

From the other hand, I like Fibaro’s graphical interface for creating scenes, and I would wish something like that in Vera. Or some other features like sections which aggregate several rooms.[/quote]

“Zwave is zwave”, a protocol designed by the zwave alliance. Devices should be able to be supported by any controller. It is a relativley open standard (for the members).

Vera (micasaverde) had a statement on their website for years that they would support any zwave device. Over the years this faded away and in my opinion they are now moving away from a zwave compaby to and IP control company focussing on “secure” whatever that may mean.

I hope that vera will start to understand that for the most users zwave is the bloodline in domotica and that if they would keep support for (new) devices up to date they would rule the market!

The same way you can say “electricity is electricity”, a standard. Doesn’t matter if it is AC or DC, 5V, 12V, 110V, 240V, 1A, 16A, I-phase, III-phase, 50Hz, 60Hz…
I spoke with some certified Z-wave expert, and according to what he said, yes, Z-wave is a standard as a core.
But you can add or tweak many options and this is why some devices are compatible with other and some not. Fibaro uses their own tweaks which in some devices is for worse with Vera, and for others is for better - i.e. binary sensor supports binary inputs AND temperature sensors in Vera, while with Fibaro is either or (confirmed with Fibaro support, I was surprised that with Vera both options are possible at the same time).

So “Z-wave” is a standard the same way, as “AC current” is. Just try to connect III-phase 240V device to the same “AC standard” but 110V and make it work.

I don’t want to excuse Vera for lack of effort on their part (there are still many other devices from other manufacturers which are not supported), but being fair is to admit that not only Vera has a problem here

If you go to the compatibility guide on Vesternet, you can see that there are some Z-wave devices which have issues with most of the controllers - Vera, Fibaro, Homeseer, Smartthings, etc. Or have full functionality with Vera, and limited with others. Or the other way around.

BTW, according to the information I’ve got from the source mentioned above, there are at least 3 different variations of the Z-wave plus chip (hardware) itself, each of them probably programmed slightly different way and thus needing different implementation of communication with controller. Not touching yet firmware of the device.

+1 on the above discussions. It’s not reasonable to expect Vera to support each and every new device instantaneously. It is reasonable, that given a device with a lot of demand and obvious utility - that they at least tell us when (with a degree of certainty). Or if they do not intend to support a particular device - then say so.

Having said all that - if someone from Vera can provide some clues / an outline of what’s needed or an approach to figure it out. I’m willing to put in some time and make a (temporary) plugin. VERA - are you listening ?

@all – I’ve taken a chance and bought one of these. I got it to pair as a generic device - but it’s sitting there with a message “Waiting for wakeup to configure device”. I notice that some of you have made progress - could you share your steps.

Right now I do not have an “advanced” tab associated with the on / off section (which is where I’m guessing you changed the device type). The temperature sensor setting does have an advanced section - but as you can see - it’s not displaying any temperature. I also thought I saw someone mention that they do see battery status. Maybe none of this matters until I can get it to wake up :frowning:

I don’t have one of these but suspect the problem is in Vera not recognising multi-channel associations correctly.
Have you opened a ticket with support?
I’ve found them to be very helpful in cases such as these and will tinker with various files in an effort to get the device working.

Hello everyone,
there is a solution or should I say temporary fix for this?

[ul][li]Open settings of Fibaro Door/Window Sensor 2, then click on Advanced.[/li]
[li]You need to change following parameters like this:
device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:DoorSensor:1
device_file: D_DoorSensor1.xml
device_json: D_DoorSensor1.json[/li]
[li]The Sensor May or May not disappear from interface, if it disappears then go to Settings Tab → Z-Wave Settings → Advanced Tab[/li]
[li]Click on “Reload Engine”[/li]
[li]Please just wait a second.[/li]
[li]If device is still not available, just refresh the website (CTRL+F5).[/li][/ul]
In my case it works, please give me information if it worked for you guys.
Have a nice day :wink:

Did not work for me. The icon was fixed to a door/ window one but it could not have communicated with the sensor with a permanent
“Waiting for wakeup to configure device…”

Worked for me. However the sensor don’t show up under ‘Configure my preset modes/Choose sensors to arm’. I can arm and disarm the sensor in the ‘Devises’ pan.

[quote author=AlojzMustafa link=topic=49634.msg333614#msg333614 date=1510058807]
Hello everyone,
there is a solution or should I say temporary fix for this?

[ul][li]Open settings of Fibaro Door/Window Sensor 2, then click on Advanced.[/li]
[li]You need to change following parameters like this:
device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:DoorSensor:1
device_file: D_DoorSensor1.xml
device_json: D_DoorSensor1.json[/li]
[li]The Sensor May or May not disappear from interface, if it disappears then go to Settings Tab → Z-Wave Settings → Advanced Tab[/li]
[li]Click on “Reload Engine”[/li]
[li]Please just wait a second.[/li]
[li]If device is still not available, just refresh the website (CTRL+F5).[/li][/ul]
In my case it works, please give me information if it worked for you guys.
Have a nice day :wink:
[/quote

Worked for me :slight_smile:
I additionally changed the category_num to 4 and the subcategory_num to 1

The change of category and subcategory did the trick. Now the sensor show up under ‘Configure my preset modes/Choose sensors to arm’. Thanks AlojzMustafa!