Ezlo Secure, 3 years later, 2nd attempt at the platform and back to the closet

Back in February of 2021 I provided feedback on my 2 new Ezlo Secure devices that I purchased for $300 each .You can see it here:

In that post I listed some major short comings: At that time the new Ezlo platform and MiOS was more of a beta product/science experiment so I guess it was to be expected. Those initial short comings coupled with lack of technical support were reasons that drove me to switch to another platform; I eventually switched to Homeseer and have been on Homeseer since (it just works and the support/response times from Matt and Tyler over the New Hampshire based company are pretty darn quick).
Long story short, I boxed up my ezlo secures and they have been in my closet ever since. That is until this week when I fired them back up and more out of curiosity wanted to see how the platform has come along. I figured after a few years I’d see some huge improvements. Not.
Unfortunately, this product still is very much a beta/since experiment and based on an hour or playing around with MiOS I will be boxing them back up. Note: I tried to install/configure two different integrations: First one was for LIFX via that cloud/token authentication. Summary: Does not work. Went through the steps and devices are not showing up. I posted this in a the community forum yesterday and still no reply.
Second was for MyQ garage door plugin and this one doesn’t work either. I searched the community forum and it looks like I’m not the only one who has identified that after following the steps and adding correct credentials, MyQ devices are not showing up.

Honestly, I don’t understand how this product(s) even exist.

Hello @Patrick_Beauchemin,

We apologize for the delay.

We have created a support ticket (304576) and emailed it to you. Please check your email inbox and let us know.

Hello @Patrick_Beauchemin

I’m sorry for you having that frustrating experience with Ezlo controllers.
Also, I’m sorry that you haven’t noticed any progress and improvements we made.
Let me list some of them related to your initial post:

• we launched the Ezlogic web application that provides users with a lot of features (and we are adding more) - you can check it.
  • we implemented migration from Ezlo to Vera
  • we added the ability to write and run your Lua scripts

and many more features…

All integrations we provided are complex ones, where we are relying on a third party. In your case, myQ terminated support for their API.
In Lifx’s case, we are switching to the new integration service. It takes 2 months to do a complete switch and adjust integration on our side.
Unfortunately, both these cases weren’t properly communicated to our users. Sorry, you are being affected.

I want to mention, that we are putting maximum effort into making our products better and improving all components that we provide to our users.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Please, don’t put Ezlo too deep in your closet. We are making it better every day.

1 Like

Hi Max,
Obviousely, I’ve used the Ezlogic web app… The first two things I tried was the web app to add my LIFX light strips and MyQ devices and both failed.

They work “well enough” for their core use scenario - as a simple, easy-to-use hub for ZWave devices. It’s really mostly when you try to go outside of that core use case - such as using plugins - that the Ezlo products come up short. In my case, I tried to add a Zigbee device - only to find that I couldn’t access any of the configuration options or do any Zigbee binding. That, coupled with the fact that the plugin I needed is still lacking in functionality, recently drove me to switch to Home Assistant - which also has the added benefit of being 100% local (including the web interface) - a requirement and benefit that the owner of Ezlo literally laughed at me for having.

So yeah, there is a use case for Ezlo devices - it’s just not the power users who want full control, or anyone who needs wide compatibility.

Yeah not having a fully local web UI like on the old Vera hubs is a shame. The owner said on the forum several times it would all be fully local, but I am not sure that will ever happen. The new Ezlogic web UI now seems deeply embedded into their cloud platform and infrastructure.

1 Like