Empty response

Hello,

I (try to) use my cellphone for opening the gate and garagedoor etc with Authomation (2.1.1.2). My 3G reception near the gate is very poor , and I think due to that I recieve often an empty response.

But even when I have a connection again (recieveing emails in the mean time from my webcams) I know I got a valid connection again, but even than I recieve an “empty response” . I cannot make the programm to work anymore without forcing the programm to stop , and restart.

The questions I have; What does the “empty responce” actually mean, why does it even give the "empty response"while I have a 3G (edge) connection again?

Any suggestions to improve ? ( I have to drive through a forrest for 1,5 Km, where there is no internet connection) , just near my gate and before the forrest I do have internet again. I try to activate the scene before driving through the forrest , but often I forget).

Thanks,
Cor

The “empty response” means that the app did not receive any data back from Vera. This can be due to connection issues or issues on the vera end. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done due to the data connection being spotty.

• Garrett

@ garrettwp: I see :(… And that I have to restart the programm, that has nothing to do with it and it is just a coincidence that it works afterwards?

Thanks,
Cor

Have you tried the latest beta? It now uses different data, but I do not think it will solve the empty response. I am not sure why the restarting of the app would correct the problem.

• Garrett

Does this handle correctly MCV changing the connection between Vera and their forwarding servers ?

The current builds should update the active and backup server addresses when it gets valid data back from Vera. It will also attempt to try and connect to the active server 5 times and than try the backup server 5 times before giving up until the next refresh. Not sure why restarting of the app would allow it to connect. I would advise that you use the current beta if you can as it has brought a lot of stability and changes since version 2.1.1.2.

• Garrett

maybe it times out…
have you tried to press refresh first before opening the gate ?
it happend to me too a lot with the older version of authomation and also with a fixed version, now after upgrade of firmware of my phone to android 4.1.2 and upgrade of my router, all of the connection problems and time-outs and such are vanished.

I do not think you can communicate on an alternate. I think you have to communicate on the server that Vera has a connection with. And that if they tear down the Vera to MCV link, like on a restart, their is a possibility that they will bring it up on another server … and that clients must detect this and move communications to the new server.

So I think when you get an error you must restart and query the MCV servers for the User again … just to get the new primary. I think the backup servers are meaningless. The only way they might be useful is if you try ALL of them on a failure. I think they also recently added another alternate server.

Actually the backup server works well when the primary has issues. The fact that his unit switched to the new fwd4 server and the the original servers were fwd1 and fwd2, it would not reach his unit with the new one as it did not know about it. The only way to get the new server list for his unit is to poll the username via the locator_json api call. This would require some decent changes on the backend for this to work. This is what the auto configure uses. Going by what MCV suggests, I have not had any issues with the app using the correct server when the primary goes down, it would switch to the backup server as long as vera is using that backup.

• Garrett

That assumes that when MCV tears down the link between Vera and the servers … that they do not move.

Oh … I think I found a possible cause :slight_smile:

Some time ago I updated to the new beta firmware (although I think I did it later as when I had these issues), nevertheless;

I noticed today I lost some devices … the first “child” of the fibaro switches , which I use for the gate and for the garagedoor, (the parent was never used). With the new firmware one of the children is removed … offcourse the one I used. I just noticed it today :-\

This afternoon I changed the scenes to the correct device (the parent) and on 2 test occasions it worked fine, no “empty response” anymore ;D … let’s see what it does tomorrow.

Cor

i found that after i put an behind the scene Lua code i saved, the device responds ok
if you do not put an behind the Lua code in scene save Lua code , it will hang on the Lua and give empty response also.

I hit the enterbutton and saved again … let?s hope all problems are solved now ::slight_smile:

Cor

[quote=“Cor, post:13, topic:174504”]I hit the enterbutton and saved again … let?s hope all problems are solved now ::slight_smile:

Cor[/quote]
for now lol

Did not find a good reason to open a new thread, hence bumping this old one as i am facing the same issue.
Trying to create a shortcut on my S4, for a garage door toggle for lock and unlock (one button toggle), there is an option for that… but each time i try to press the toggle switch shortcut i get Error: Empty Response.
But when i create two shortcuts for lock and unlock for the same device it works fine.
No point in creating two buttons when one toggle shortcut can do the same job.

A shortcut … didn’t know this is possible , how do you do that?

thanks,
Cor

Cor- On your device, go to Apps, then Widgets. There should be widgets for device, scene, and voice recognition. Place on your phone, then select the device and desired action, or which scene you’d like activated.

@kev b : oh … that’s cool… works perfectly. many thanks,
Cor

[quote=“Exorcist, post:15, topic:174504”]Did not find a good reason to open a new thread, hence bumping this old one as i am facing the same issue.
Trying to create a shortcut on my S4, for a garage door toggle for lock and unlock (one button toggle), there is an option for that… but each time i try to press the toggle switch shortcut i get Error: Empty Response.
But when i create two shortcuts for lock and unlock for the same device it works fine.
No point in creating two buttons when one toggle shortcut can do the same job.[/quote]

I though I fixed this in the current release. Are you running the current version from the app store? I know it is fixed in the build I am working on right now. I’ll have to look at the code base for the version in the app store.

• Garrett

[quote=“Cor, post:18, topic:174504”]@kev b : oh … that’s cool… works perfectly. many thanks,
Cor[/quote]

Cor, glad to help. Thank Garrett, he’s the man. Great app! The only one I use.