Download Error With {Picture(ID)}

Hello

I just installed Vera Alerts, and it passes the “Hello World” test. I was able to detect motion on my Foscam camera via Vera Alerts as well! Last step was to try and attach a picture. When I entered “Hello World {Picture(57)}” into the Send Alert tab of Vera Alerts, I did get the text message, but not the attached picture. Instead, I got a “Download Error”.

Did I use the correct syntax, or might something else be going on?

Thanks

Probably sent the message over to Android properly.
The Vera Plugin captures the Photo right away … It then sends the message via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM). But the photo is to big for GCM … So the Android client fetches the photo directly. It needs your login info to do so … The error message indicates it is having a problem fetching the message.

Can you verify you have specified your Vera Login credentials … and passed the corrrect camera device ID.
If it still does not work … can your turn on Debug tracing and send another {Photo(ID)} request. Then send me the log file … it’s in the VeraAlerts directory on your SDCard.

Thank you for the feedback. I verified the credentials and they look good. I activated all of the checkboxes available for debug (picture, picture details, etc.) and I don’t see any logfile at all in the /sdcard/veraalerts directory (the directory exists, but it’s empty).

On a side note – would VeraAlerts work in the context of two separate Veras? (I.e. a main home, and a vacation home).

Thanks
-Ted

don't see any logfile at all in the /sdcard/veraalerts directory (the directory exists, but it's empty)
Bummer ... I need debug code to debug the debug code :(
On a side note -- would VeraAlerts work in the context of two separate Veras? (I.e. a main home, and a vacation home).
Works great ... You would use the Same VeraAlerts ID on both Veras. This is where the [b]Aux Message[/b] would be useful. You could setup each Vera to append a message indicating which Vera was sending the message. Or it could change the color of each message differently for each Vera.

Gotcha … thanks for the scoop on multiple Vera usage. As for the pictures, is there a place on the Vera filesystem the picture is stored so I can check?

I release another update last night …
I need to get and see a debug trace so I can put my finger on the problem.

As for the pictures, is there a place on the Vera filesystem the picture is stored so I can check?
There should be a [b]Pictures[/b]folder somewhere on the SDCard. That name may be platform specific. I ask the Android system where to place the pictures ... that's why I can't answer this directly! I create a directory call VeraAlerts there ... and deposit the pictures.

Hi Richard,

I installed the latest VeraAlert, and a logfile did show up. I am attaching it, but it does not seem there are any picture related events in the file. A little background, I first deleted the file in hopes of starting with a clean slate of “vomit” to send to you, but the logfile did not recreate itself as events happened. I then hit the “reset” button on the app, and that was enough to generate 2 log entries, but still no picture events as I was testing the messages. Lastly, I rebooted the phone, and that completes what you will see in the log file.

Just to be explicit, I have been trying to capture the camera images via “Send Alert” tab of the plugin.

Thanks
-Ted

I have a new version … 3.06

Do not POST the log file … if remote … it will have a password. Edit it … and/or mail it to me personally.

Hi Richard – you should have an email from me with the logfile.
Regards
-Ted

I have same problem also, waiting for a fix… Thank you

Hi Richard
I dont get pictures aswell.
Looking forward to an update.
Regards
CE

I am still looking for a log file on the Vera Side when you send an event with a {Picture(ID)} tag.

http://Your.Vera.IP.Address/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP

Do not post the log … mail or PM me the log … It will contain the password of your camera.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:13, topic:175207”]I am still looking for a log file on the Vera Side when you send an event with a {Picture(ID)} tag.

http://Your.Vera.IP.Address/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP

Do not post the log … mail or PM me the log … It will contain the password of your camera.[/quote]

Hi Richard – just want to confirm that you did get my latest logfile via email. Let me know if you need more data.
-Ted

I’m Also having the same problem. I sent you the Vera side logfile with with a text only alert and then a atempt to send a picture. On the android app I get “Download Error:” and “Problems Contacting Vera”. The user, password and ID are all correct.

Any solution yet? ???

This works for some and not for others … I have not found the smoking gun yet …

Still looking for help:
See: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15317.msg127848.html#msg127848

Richard,

I’ve been having a play with this (and read the other stuff on another thread), here’s what I can diagnose:

[ol][li]VeraAlert picture/video integration is working fine from UI7 (latest build/addin) on Android 4.2.2 Galaxy Tab 10
On the same system/network, VeraAlert is not sending any picture/video running Android 6.0.1 Galaxy S6 (not able to check on 5.x.x)
On 6.0.1 the VeraAlert directory is NOT created upon install (but on the 4.2.2 system it IS created under the SD/Pictures folder)
On 6.0.1 the ‘Vera Alert’ debug directory is also NOT created upon install, or when turning on DEBUG
No DEBUG logs can therefore be sent because nothing gets created
The picture/video files are created correctly on the Vera server under the /tmp/log/cmh folder ready to be picked up
Credentials on the 6.0.1 client are the same as the 4.2.2 client, both verified
A long push on the file icon on the 6.0.1 client reports the same filename as that stored on the /tmp/log/cmd folder
I suspect this is a local access permissions thing going on with 6.x of Android
I’ve tried manually creating the directories but still get the ‘Problems contacting Vera’ message, also done the uninstall/re-install dance and still no local directory under 6.0.1
My conclusion is therefore that 6.x clients CAN actually contact Vera and fetch the correct file, but this error is coming because the local 6.x client won’t allow the file to be stored locally for viewing[/li]
[li][/li][/ol]

Happy to test further if you can patch a field test file for me (for the debug at least).

Cheers

D

Old thread, but SD card permissions on Android is definitely the issue. I’m not sure if the app can be updated by Richard to “ask for SD card permissions” on install. Regardless, see the three screengrabs on how to solve the problem by setting SD card permissions for VeraAlerts on an Android phone.

Thanks for the guidance to solve the issue of “Problems contacting Vera”