Dongle recall program is started

What about version .40? It’s incompatible with Schlage, etc…

What happens if it takes more then 14 days - for those who sends from outside of US?

I live in Canada. Good chance it’s going to take a month or so.

You guys hit on a valid point here.

The other thing is has anyone’s vera actually backed up their dongle? I am running greater than 1.880 and I can tell you mine has never backed up the dongle.

No dongle backup here. Guess I will be rebuilding everything again >:(

I would also like to know about the .40 version. Is this valid for the exchange as well?

If you look at the most recent changes (http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:RecentChanges) you will see that the next release should have a dongle clone option.

More information on backing up your dongle can be found here. This feature is in version 880 or higher.
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Clone_Dongle

Very nice (comforting, actually) that Vera is now backing up the Dongle automatically and keeping the backups online for Vera users!

I discovered the clone dongle function a few days before the recall program was started, tried but it didn’t had any output. I’m running .862, now I know why…

I won’t order a new dongle until I don’t know how Micasaverde treats us poor overseas - living in Germany I don’t think my old dongle makes it to the States in 2 weeks. But I really will like to try to clone it to my Seluxit-dongle. So, does anybody knows where I find a version >.800???

BTW the only time Vera really operated flawlessly was when I had the Seluxit connected. Then I cloned the Vera dongle using an ev. copy of Homeseer which has now expired. I switched back to Vera dongle to add some new devices and always thougt it was a kind of layer 8 problem - now I know better!

Yes in theory, but I am running 886, and no joy on any backup here after over 18 hours of no changes top Vera per Wiki instructions.

esc, the latest official Luup releases are listed here:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Vera_Luup_Releases#2009-August-14_1.0.862

However, several more ‘beta’ releases have occurred since then, notably version 886, which has been touted as solving several ‘bugs’ in Vera, so I feel it is safe to recommend it. Here is the download URL to give Vera:

http://download.controlmyhouse.net/betafirmware/ftp/wl500gP_Luup-1.0.886.trx

Good luck!

Chimpware, that’s unfortunate (that your Dongle has not been backed up automatically by Vera yet). Turns out that Vera backed mine up moments after upgrading to 886, so I must consider myself lucky. Have you considered “upgrading” to 886 a second time?

Perhaps that will trick Vera into doing what you want … a Dongle backup!

Still waiting for advice from MCV on the issue, but as my scenes now work I am happy at the moment. Having the new dongle sitting on the counter ready for install is compelling though, but every time I make any changes to Vera it bites me in the a**, so I am somewhat hesitant to rock the boat at this stage.

Anybody got info reg us Europeans about the dongle program. I have a .48 version myself, but would like confirmation that I could have a longer period than 14 days due to customs…

Has anybody found a solution? I cannot see if it is a EU or US version the dongle I find through the provided link…

Does this mean that .61 is OK

The problem with some dongles not backup up is not with Vera. It’s in the dongle itself. All our dongles, including the old 4.27 (.40 versions) respond correctly to the Z-Wave ‘GetMemoryBlock’ command, which is how you read the firmware. But, for some unknown reason, a bunch of user’s dongles are simply ignoring this command. That’s why the backup is failing. We’ve been in constant communication with the Zensys and Aeon engineers to figure out why some dongles aren’t working they should. Fortunately, the new dongles are firmware upgradeable so if there are more bugs in the Z-Wave firmware they can be upgraded in the future.

We’re still trying to figure out how slow overseas shipping. We’re sending a batch of dongles to our European distributor in Germany to service Euro customers. We’re looking into fast but cheap shipping options to Canada. The reason for the 14 day limit is because we really need to get the old dongles back because we’re getting a partial credit on the Z-Wave module inside from the manufacturer. When we’ve done dongle replacements without a credit card hold in the past, we never get the old ones back. 14 days is the maximum we can hold a credit card authorization before we must either charge or release. If we go ahead and charge after 14 days, and then do a refund afterwards, it will effect our ratings with the credit card companies for doing to many refunds. So that’s why we wanted a 14 day window so we get the old dongle back, the customer doesn’t get his card charged, and it doesn’t effect our rating.

Yes, we will also replace the older 4.27 (.40) dongles if you want to have one that supports the Schlage lock.

Not to be a smart *ss here, but what about customers sending a check filled out to ‘pay’ for a dongle, with their old dongle, and MCV sending back that check, cancelled, with the new dongle? Possible?

Could give it a limited life offer, although who knows what resellers have the bad dongle versions still on the shelf…

Little more explanation/option… Upon a user requesting a new dongle, via website, maybe MCV could send a prepaid shipping envelope to the address given.
Just throwing out ideas, it’s late, and I’m at work, you know how it goes :slight_smile:

So for those of us that are experiencing this issue regarding backup of the dongle what is the recommended replacement process?

It’s sounds like we will have to redo the network,

@MCV: Can you leave a message on the board, when your european reseller received the dongles so that we can contact him to exchange our faulty ones?

Thank you :wink:
Ted