Dongle recall program is started

I found a work-around for the dongle backup/restore today. Unfortunately it seems some dongles for whatever reason will only backup/restore 1 byte at a time, rather than in chunks. It’s late and I haven’t had a chance to do a full regression test on this, but the firmware below does 1 byte backup/restore. This will be in all releases >900. The only drawback is that backup/restore is now very slow (about an hour).

http://download.controlmyhouse.net/betafirmware/ftp/wl500gP_Luup-1.0.900.trx

MCV, I can confirm that for my Dongle (ver 2.48 L:1) the 1.0.900 release produced a backup last night:

Last dongle backup 2-SEPT-2009 23:0

All previous builds never completed the backup (Ticket #1050 can be closed now). I don’t know how long it took to do it, but feel free to check my archived logs for anything you need.

Great! Now I don’t have to reset up the network!!!

Instead of mailing my dongle back can I give it to you at Cedia?

can I give it to you at Cedia?

I’d prefer not because the warehouse that handles shipping/dongle recall issues is outsourced and isn’t even in the same city, and things will be really hectic at Cedia.

Just got my new dongle in the mail, and it is restoring right now… Let’s see what happens.

At least once a day sometimes two times, my vera is unavailable on my network and requires a reboot (unplug!), so I am cautiously optimistic…

Andrew

How do you trigger a Dongle backup, and then restore?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian
I am running 1.0.899 and it has an option to restore the dongle firmware (see http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Clone_Dongle). But I think I have a problem as at the dashboard the blue cog is spinning and it says “ZWave: Restoring Z-Wave dongle. Wait up to 2 hours” but it been more like 5 hours.

Andrew

Good news. I unplugged Vera and started a new restore and everything is now up and running with the new dongle.

Andrew

I am running .899 but I don’t see the Clone Dongle option anymore (under ZWave, advanced options).

Has it moved?

Per your comment above, esc, I looked thoroughly in .899 for the “Clone Dongle” command and could not find it. I even performed a “Backup” to my hard drive, to see if somehow the file size had grown – indicating it was backing up more information – but, alas, it had not.

Let us know if you re-discover its location … hopefully MCV will let us know what’s going on.

Seems like Andrew has found it:

[quote=“AndrewM, post:27, topic:164816”]Brian
I am running 1.0.899 and it has an option to restore the dongle firmware (see http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Clone_Dongle). But I think I have a problem as at the dashboard the blue cog is spinning and it says “ZWave: Restoring Z-Wave dongle. Wait up to 2 hours” but it been more like 5 hours.

Andrew[/quote]

Andrew, help us! ???

ESC - there is no button to clone the dongle. It automatically does it.

However, when you restore there is a check box to clone dongle.

In fact, esc, take a look at the “Clone Dongle” wiki:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Clone_Dongle

which clearly explains:

1. Vera will backup the dongle’s configuration whenever the list of devices in the dongle changes…

2. …That backup file contains both Vera’s database as well as the dongle’s.

(This corrects my earlier assertion about expecting a larger file size in the backup file. Seems all 4 of my recent backups must be of the dongle-inclusive variety!)

Huge surprise, I download the backup, replace the dongle, upload my backup and no devices. At every turn Vera just does not work well consistently. I cannot wait for the MCV post explaining yet again that my experience is anomalous, or that the dongle caused the issue or some other explanation that does not change the fact that I have to rebuild the network almost monthly. What a huge PITA. I am seriously getting sick of this. >:(

If Vera ever works as it is supposed to I am going to be hugely surprised as at every turn my experience has been in general terrible. The MCV team seems to want to get everyone up and running properly, but at this point this device should not be this painful for the user. I would love to see the woman from the Promo video deal with all the real world crap the average user has to with this device.

That’s terrible news, Chimpware, and we all know you deserve a break after so many troubles with Vera.

I’m inclined to ask: What does your Vera tell you was the date/time of her last Dongle backup, under DEVICES > Z-Wave > More Z-Wave Options?

Mine says “Last dongle backup 1-SEPT-2009 9:40” which coincides with my upgrade to 879 I believe. I’m now at 899 and holding. You?

hmmm thanks. RTFM, a, wiki

[quote=“LibraSun, post:35, topic:164816”]That’s terrible news, Chimpware, and we all know you deserve a break after so many troubles with Vera.

I’m inclined to ask: What does your Vera tell you was the date/time of her last Dongle backup, under DEVICES > Z-Wave > More Z-Wave Options?

Mine says “Last dongle backup 1-SEPT-2009 9:40” which coincides with my upgrade to 879 I believe. I’m now at 899 and holding. You?[/quote]

Mine now says

4-SEPT-2009 6:18

Which is approximately 20 minutes or so after I plugged the new dongle in.

I just ran the restore from backup again with hopes that the second time might be the charm, but I am not hopeful.

Second time might be the charm, I have my fingers crossed as this time I got the message “Restoring ZWave Dongle Wait up to 2 hours” which I did not get the first time.

Guess I was foolish to get my hopes up. No joy here, lost all my devices updating the dongle.
:cry:

Chimpware, what I was concerned about is whether Vera backed up your OLD dongle completely prior to saving the backup file that you are now trying to restore from.

I know, please slap me if I’m stating the obvious… but since the “Dongle last backed up” timestamp comes after you plugged in the NEW dongle… I think you get my point. Hmm.

Would it be plausible for you to re-insert the old dongle and allow Vera to back it up once again, perhaps?