Autelis Control?

Hello! I’m really confused over which version of Autelis controller I need for my HA setup.

I currently have an iAquaLink iQ20 which allows me to use my phone to control my pool/spa lights, heat and pump.

I also have an AquaLink RS4 which is a control pad inside my house that lets me control the same things.

I know that if I got an Autelis, I would be able to link it to Vera which would allow me to use the HA Bridge to use my Echo to control the pool and spa.

My confusion is that I have no idea if I need this controller:
http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for-jandy-zodiac.html

or this one:

or an entirely different one.

I also don’t know where or how this device attaches to my current system. Will it hardwire to the controller(s) outside, sit independently inside (like a bridge of some sort), or to I have to have it installed next to the control panel inside?

Thanks in advance!

If you send them an e-mail on their forum they are pretty responsive. They should be able to tell you which version. Also, these connect to the RS485 bus just like the control panel you have. So one connection (perhaps daisy chained with your indoor panel) and a network connection. Either using wifi adapter or hardwired.

I agree, give them an email or call to clarify. I am pretty sure that if you have the chip that supports the iAqualink that the PDA version is not what you are looking for. The PDA version is what I have and does not work with the plugin or allow any of the features that the Autelis Jandy/Zodiac device provides. It’s a great option instead of buying a $300 PDA when I have waterproof phones kicking around, but if you have iAqualink you should be able to access features supported in the plugin with the Autelis Jandy/Zodiac device.

Am I to take this to mean that only the board needs to be a current board and that the iAqualink iQ20 WiFi device is not really requred with the Autelis device?

Probably best to confirm that with Autelis, I don’t have any experience with that as I am familiar with the PDA version in my setup (no internal keypads) and I hardwired mine into my network, would hate to steer you wrong.

You are probably correct though that part is Jandy/Zodiac’s version of a WiFi bridge and that if you use Autelis you still need to connect to your network somehow (hardwired or your own WiFi bridge)

I mounted my Autelis beside the box outside and connected to the panel (in parallel to the PDA radio module or in your case the iQ20), but if you also have the wired keypad (AquaLink RS4) inside some where you could tap into the communication lines (RS-485) there if it’s more convenient (the RS485 wires powers the device) and then to your network.

Does anyone have an Autelis setup with their Jandy gear? I created a plugin that theoretically should control the equipment but I don’t have any eq to test it on.

I’m on the cusp of ordering the Autelis for my Jandy and would happily try to work this out but I do not know coding in Mios at all so if you can modify the plugin to work with Jandy, I’m game and will do testing for you!

I have the plugin configuring, sending commands, and responding to feedback in my simulation environment. I need some help but not necessarily with the coding but with how the Jandy equipment behaves when certain modes are selected and what is actually reported from the pumps and chemistry. All my background is with Pentair gear.

I was just looking at the Autelis controller last week. I’ll order today and hopefully have it by this weekend so I can install it and get going on testing your plugin. I installed your Pentair plugin into my Vera Plus / UI7 already but is this a different, alpha or beta plugin that I need?

Also, I’m in SoCal if for whatever reason you’d need to come to check it out but I don’t know if that is necessary or even practicable for you.

The internals of the Pentair plugin are similar in how it communicates with Autelis but the equipment control for Jandy is fundamentally different. This will require a different plugin with the command and response structure for the Jandy gear. The Pentair plugin will do you no good.

In the meantime I need a few bits of info from you related to the equipment on your pad.

1. What Jandy controller is on your pad AquaLink RS?
  2. How many variable speed pumps do you have (if any)?
  3. Is this a pool/spa combo and do you have a Gas, Electric, or Heat Pump heater?
  4. Do you have an AquaPure or ChemLink connected?
  5. Do you have any WaterColors or Savi lights?

I’m in Sac and I probably will not be making it to your neck anytime soon but that shouldn’t be required.

[quote=“rstrouse, post:10, topic:192903”]The internals of the Pentair plugin are similar in how it communicates with Autelis but the equipment control for Jandy is fundamentally different. This will require a different plugin with the command and response structure for the Jandy gear. The Pentair plugin will do you no good.

In the meantime I need a few bits of info from you related to the equipment on your pad.

1. What Jandy controller is on your pad AquaLink RS?
  2. How many variable speed pumps do you have (if any)?
  3. Is this a pool/spa combo and do you have a Gas, Electric, or Heat Pump heater?
  4. Do you have an AquaPure or ChemLink connected?
  5. Do you have any WaterColors or Savi lights?

I’m in Sac and I probably will not be making it to your neck anytime soon but that shouldn’t be required.[/quote]

1. I will have to look but it is circa 2003 and is f/w Rev N AFAIK.
  2. I have no variable speed pumps and I don’t think my Jandy controller board can control them anyhow. There are two pumps and and auxiliary pump (I need to verify for sure).
  3. I have a pool/spa combo and I have a gas heater. Also, it controls the pool lights with fiber optic and a color wheel (Old School compared to today’s LED lights but what is one to do?). There is even another unused (or two?) auxiliary connector for yard lighting that I will eventually want to utilize but it is not in use right now. This may be better to just bypass and use Z-Wave lighting controllers anyhow.
  4. I do not have either aquapure or chemlink connected but I do have a Hayward Salt Water Chlorinator and I’m not sure if it can connect to the Jandy or not. This was added in 2014 when we bought the house with the 2003 pool whereupon we converted it to a salt water pool.
  5. We do have lights. See #3 above but these are controlled right now with the RS Link by the rear sliding door. I can chose colorwheel for changing colors and (I think) only single colors but not combinations like, say, Red, White and Blue for the 4th or Red and Green for Christmas. Adding this would be a plus! Additionally, there is fiber optic lighting on the steps to the raises spa and underneath the shear decents on each side of the spa. I’ll post a couple of pictures that I have of them but need to get them from my phone.

Have you contacted Autelis to see if their unit will work with Rev N firmware?

So I assume one pump is for the filter and the other is a water feature pump. Is the aux pump for a cleaner and if so is it connected to the cleaner circuit on the panel or is it for your spa jets connected to another aux circuit?

[quote=“Sammy2, post:11, topic:192903”]3. I have a pool/spa combo and I have a gas heater. Also, it controls the pool lights with fiber optic and a color wheel (Old School compared to today’s LED lights but what is one to do?). There is
even another unused (or two?) auxiliary connector for yard lighting that I will eventually want to utilize but it is not in use right now. This may be better to just bypass and use Z-Wave lighting controllers anyhow.[/quote]
Is this an old Fiberstars system or is it a Jandy colorwheel? I have connected my Yard Lights to my Intellitouch but this is because these are tied to the Intellibrite color controller. Yes I can change the color of the landscape lights and run scenes that wave color throughout the yard. As for the heater, I assume you have this hooked up the Aqualink… no solar?

I am pretty sure it can not be hooked up. If this is the system that I think it is, then these were made as retrofit kits

When you say RS Link do you mean the One Touch or is this another Jandy Product. We’ll see if we can get the color wheel to move around but if it is like the old Fiberstars I would assume that it was not designed to run constantly. I think that the old AmerLights, SAL, SaM, and later Fiberstars were fine with it and have a rotation mode that just kept the wheel moving.

Have you contacted Autelis to see if their unit will work with Rev N firmware?[/quote]
I did contact them after reading one of your other posts in the Autelis thread here. They gave me the link of the Autelis device to get.

So I assume one pump is for the filter and the other is a water feature pump. Is the aux pump for a cleaner and if so is it connected to the cleaner circuit on the panel or is it for your spa jets connected to another aux circuit?[/quote]
There is a separate control for the cleaner in the RS One Touch but also a booster in the spa. I will verify for sure.

[quote=“rstrouse”][quote=“Sammy2, post:11, topic:192903”]3. I have a pool/spa combo and I have a gas heater. Also, it controls the pool lights with fiber optic and a color wheel (Old School compared to today’s LED lights but what is one to do?). There is
even another unused (or two?) auxiliary connector for yard lighting that I will eventually want to utilize but it is not in use right now. This may be better to just bypass and use Z-Wave lighting controllers anyhow.[/quote]
Is this an old Fiberstars system or is it a Jandy colorwheel? I have connected my Yard Lights to my Intellitouch but this is because these are tied to the Intellibrite color controller. Yes I can change the color of the landscape lights and run scenes that wave color throughout the yard. As for the heater, I assume you have this hooked up the Aqualink… no solar?[/quote]
I will need to verify the manufacturer of this. I have nothing solar for the pool as the roof is completely covered with solar power generation!

I am pretty sure it can not be hooked up. If this is the system that I think it is, then these were made as retrofit kits[/quote]
That is what I figured.

When you say RS Link do you mean the One Touch or is this another Jandy Product. We’ll see if we can get the color wheel to move around but if it is like the old Fiberstars I would assume that it was not designed to run constantly. I think that the old AmerLights, SAL, SaM, and later Fiberstars were fine with it and have a rotation mode that just kept the wheel moving.[/quote]

Yes, it is the One Touch in my family room by the rear slider that controls everything at the Jandy Board… Right now I do have a “Color Splash” function that allows it to cycle through the different colors or I can pick a specific color but no other combinations of color.

Here’s a picture of the front panel of my Jandy controller. I do not have a picture of the back and will probably need to confirm that before ordering the Autelis.

Thanks, that is helpful. Once you get the Autelis installed I will want you to download a couple of xml files from it using your browser and a few urls. This will describe the mapping as it relates to the circuits (Aux 1-7) , heater, filter, and booster. Interesting that the spa blower is separate from the circuits. Do you know whether this is attached to one of the aux relays inside the panel or is this actually connected to the solar heater circuit? Does it only come on when the water temp reaches a certain temperature? I’ll probably be able to figure all this out when I see the xml dumps.

How many valve actuators do you have? I count potentially 3 here is there a 4th?

[quote=“rstrouse, post:15, topic:192903”]Thanks, that is helpful. Once you get the Autelis installed I will want you to download a couple of xml files from it using your browser and a few urls. This will describe the mapping as it relates to the circuits (Aux 1-7) , heater, filter, and booster. Interesting that the spa blower is separate from the circuits. Do you know whether this is attached to one of the aux relays inside the panel or is this actually connected to the solar heater circuit? Does it only come on when the water temp reaches a certain temperature? I’ll probably be able to figure all this out when I see the xml dumps.

How many valve actuators do you have? I count potentially 3 here is there a 4th?[/quote]

I am not home right now and haven’t taken the Jandy PCB out of the panel box yet so am not sure what is going on inside. I will find out for you (and me too) tonight. I’m ordering the basic Autelis Jandy device. It seems as if Autelis is in Pacific Time so I hope to have it by this weekend but am waiting for them to confirm it is the right unit.

Awesome, finally there will be someone with the correct gear to get this all figured out. I wrote the original a couple of years ago hoping to have someone with the equipment to give me the info to finish it off for Jandy.

The order has been placed.

[quote=“rstrouse, post:15, topic:192903”]Thanks, that is helpful. Once you get the Autelis installed I will want you to download a couple of xml files from it using your browser and a few urls. This will describe the mapping as it relates to the circuits (Aux 1-7) , heater, filter, and booster. Interesting that the spa blower is separate from the circuits. Do you know whether this is attached to one of the aux relays inside the panel or is this actually connected to the solar heater circuit? Does it only come on when the water temp reaches a certain temperature? I’ll probably be able to figure all this out when I see the xml dumps.

How many valve actuators do you have? I count potentially 3 here is there a 4th?[/quote]

I am expecting delivery tomorrow of the Autelis unit but won’t have time to hook it up or provide answers to your questions until Saturday, possibly Sunday. Where/how do I download the xml files? Which URL’s do you need?

Awesome! Once you get it hooked up run the following urls. These will give me a listing of what the xml response will be. Some of these may return nothing and that is telling in itself.

http://<autelis ip>/names.xml
http://<autelis ip>/status.xml
http://<autelis ip>/pumps.xml
http://<autelis ip>/chem.xml

After you type the url into a browser if you right click and choose View Source you should be able to save it. If it throws an error on these then this is telling as well.