attach picture to Vera alerts message (to Android phone)

I have a notification set up in Vera Alerts,

FDarmedtripped Front Door Motion Sensor armed is tripped {tone:tts}Front Door Sensor tripped

now when my armed fron todoor sensor is tripped I have a spoken message on my Android phone Front Door Sensor tripped. Yesterday looking at the device in Vera I thought I had seen something that I can somehow attach a picture to a message. I looked again at the device (remotely) today but cannot see it any more. Maybe I have seen it somewhere else, I am not sure. At the moment I use tasker on my phone to open dropbox in the right folder on my phone, that way I can see pictures of who has been at the door. But it would be even easier if I can attch pictures to Vera alert messages directly

Have you tried:
{Picture(xxx)}

Where XXX is the Vera Device ID of the camera.

That is what I thought I had seen yesterday. Does that hint only show up when you access Vera local ?

So I have changed the notification to

{tone:tts}Front Door Sensor tripped{Picture(214)} (214 being my camera)

Is it possible to have that notification send 4 pictures in a row from that camera ? At the moment my camera uploads 4 pictures taken after another to dropbox when the motion sensor has been tripped

I have just slightly changed it to:

{Picture(214)}{tone:tts}Front Door Sensor tripped

You can use {Video(XXX, YYY)}
where XXX is the deviceID, YYY is in seconds …
This can eat up space on you Vera quickly … so do not let it run too long. (A USB stick for /tmp will ease this problem).

You need to specify the LOGIN credentials (bottom of settings page) to get pictures and video. They are two big to send with a message.
Vera takes the pictures and sends the message. Vera Mobil than tries to download the pictures remotely.

With Vera Alerts SMTP profile … you can only send the Picture … not the Video.

At the moment no plans to attach video, pictures should do. Can I attach multiple pictures ?

You need to specify the LOGIN credentials (bottom of settings page)

You mean on the camera device ? (which I have anyway) as I cannot see any login credentials on the Vera alerts settings page

I am currently only using the Vera Alerts mobile profile, I have set up smtp but not using it yet

The settings are on the android phone … not the Vera Plugin.
The login credentials are so Vera Mobil can call back home to the Vera to pick up the previously saved picture.

It must be set up ok, as now i get a Vera alert message on my mobile with a picture symbol. When i click on that i get the camera picture. Perfect.
Now, the only thing left is how do i get a few more pictures ? So when the motion sensor trips i want 4 pictures in succession. Is that possible ?

Did you see my message about:

{Video(xxx, yyy)}

yes but i did not want to attach video, just stills. I only want 4 pictures per alert, taken a few seconds apart (like my dropbox uploader does at the moment)

I do not have that capability yet … I can add it to the list.

ok great

I have found a simple solution to have multiple pictures sent to my mobile via Vera Alerts. I have created a scene and in advanced settings I have:

VeraAlerts SendAlert Message Message: {Picture(214)}

and have this repeated a few times with delays. Works fine. Just one problem, when trying to open the pictures on my mobile (Samsung S4) on Vera Alerts, quite often there is a very long lag before the pictures open when I click on the picture symbol. The lag can be a few minutes. Sometimes they open when the next notification comes in. The processor on the Samsung is quite fast, so don’t think that is the issue

When you try to open the picture … it has to download it from your Vera.
SO you may have had some connectivity problems.

Hi,

Both {Video(xxx, yyy)} & {Picture(xxx)} work great.

Question 1: Neither seem logged in my “My Alerts” section on vera so where are they stored (the pictures and video)? I can get them on my phone but where are they stored / downloaded form?

Question 2: Video seems more like a rolling picture library? (e.g many pictures taken one after the other and then played back in succession) should it be / is this correct?

Question1:
They are temporarily stored on Vera … the Vera Alerts Plugin downloads them to your phone hopefully before they are deleted on Vera.
On your phone they are stored in:

/SDCard/Pictures/VeraAlerts/....

Question2:
The only API that Vera Supports is picture snapshot. So the video format used is a stream of static pictures. There is no frame rate … the frame rate is the speed at which Vera could acquire pictures from the camera … for the specified interval. This may change in the future if Vera provides an API to capture a video from an attached camera.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:15, topic:180423”]Question1:
They are temporarily stored on Vera … the Vera Alerts Plugin downloads them to your phone hopefully before they are deleted on Vera.
On your phone they are stored in:

/SDCard/Pictures/VeraAlerts/....

Question2:
The only API that Vera Supports is picture snapshot. So the video format used is a stream of static pictures. There is no frame rate … the frame rate is the speed at which Vera could acquire pictures from the camera … for the specified interval. This may change in the future if Vera provides an API to capture a video from an attached camera.[/quote]

Thank you Richard.

… as always i now have one or two more questions :wink:

If they are temporarily stored - are they assessable any other way? (i am just interested, I have no need to get at them)

Are they downloaded to the handset as soon as the handset (VeraAlerts android app) makes contact with the internet / data or when the user indicates they want to view it? (thus getting the images ASAP or not as the case may be?)

So Vera does not do Video stream recording in UI5 even though it states it can - though so - am i right here? or is this just the API integration of the app?

Thank you.

If they are temporarily stored - are they assessable any other way? (i am just interested, I have no need to get at them)
They are stored in the LOG directory. Assuming that the log directory is on a USB stick and has the most available space. So you can login to Vera an get them from there.
Are they downloaded to the handset as soon as the handset (VeraAlerts android app) makes contact with the internet / data or when the user indicates they want to view it? (thus getting the images ASAP or not as the case may be?)
Yes - but if you leave the phone OFF for many days ... the pictures will be deleted before the Vera Alerts app had an opportunity to fetch them.
is this just the API integration of the app?
There is NO Vera API to get video from an attached camera. Or at least that I have seen. Most cameras support this, but it's different for each camera. I do not talk directly to the camera.

Many thanks Richard - all up to speed now thank you. ;D

Sorry to reply to an old thread but I want to attach an image with Vera Alerts but I’m using an iPhone with the Vera Alerts plugin and the Veramate Plugin. Can this still be done with that setup or only Android phones? What I am trying to accomplish is when a door / window sensor is triggered my IP Camera sends a snapshot(s) by email or by push notification with Veramate or by email if that won’t work would do as well.

Any help on how to accomplish this would be appreciated. I am a bit overwhelmed with how to go about it.

You can use the PushBullet and I think th pushover profiles to send pictures to an iphone