ZRC-90 Scene master

Hello ,

Running Vera PLus…

What i am looking to do is turn a lamp on and off - with the scene controller. I have made the scene and went into the advance control and set it to toggle. I can successfully Manually press and run the VIA the gui and the lamp responds like I wish. I just can NOT make the scene controller active the bloody scene!>!?!

Step 1: Select a Trigger
1 Device Trigger
Scene Controller bed: scene number 1 is activated, The key is pressed 1 time…
Step 2: Device Actions
Immediately
Bedroom Lamp Custom action

Scene is ‘active’

Add delay
Delay: Immediately Add action
#58 Bedroom Lamp
Service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1
ToggleState

I have assigned the controller directly:

evice #66
Activate the following scenes and set the house mode when the buttons are turned on:
Tap button #1 switch 1 lamp

I dont understand the “scene number field”…I am assuming thats the issue…

Thanks for the help

I am no longer running Vera so my method may be out of date but when I last did this I had to create the scene as manually triggered and the assign the scene to the button in the ZRC device itself.
That was a few firmware versions ago though.

Yes i have a manual scene made- which works well- But the ZRC-90 will not activate it. Do you remember what the “scene number field” is …is that the button number? or the id# of the scene?

Thanks

Hello Fred,

Make sure the home id of your Vera is 1. If it’s something else than 1 (usually because z-wave migration), this scene controller won’t trigger any scenes.
This is not a Vera or ZRC issue, but rather how this scene controller works.

The solution to this matter is only one, I’m afraid. Z-wave on Vera needs to be reset so Vera;s node id defaults to 1.

Okay,

The nice lady in tech support told me the sad story… They been working on this for a while.

So Issue #1

IF you previously had a Vera and upgraded the vera controller -say from a lite to an edge ,for example…

Then 4 months latter you purchase a new device like this one (ZRC-90)… It will add no problem -but just not function correctly!?!
EVEN if you never previously had ANY scene controllers on any veras???

Settings>zwave settings…then look under “HouseID/Node:” …You will see you house #- XXXXXXX and then you will see “node” -IF the node is anything but the Number “1” (mine is node A)
The brand new , never used anywhere on your networks…ZRC-90 Scene Master just will not function correctly!!!

The current “FIX”…yes are you ready???

Completely delete all devices and scenes from your controller…and then do a hard controller reset…and manually add all devices and scenes back in!!!.. MMMMM well you just CANT just “restore from a backup” Either…CAN NOT!?!

I can (somewhat) understand if i had previously had this scene controller added 3 years ago on a veralite , Then decided to upgrade several controllers (veras) …but that was NOT the case!?!

So a brand new product/scene controller “virgin” will not work on a newer Vera Plus, just because I owned and upgraded my controller?! How many other “new” products are going to have this issue??..ohhhh wait…It will work IF IF you delete all devices and all scenes you made for the last number of years!!!-According to support…

I guess I need to return the ZRC-90 scene Master and get my money back- MAYBE I also need to return all the VERA products in general and go with another brand!?!!

Rock on… if any have a better answer pls forward
Thanks

[quote=“John M., post:4, topic:196647”]Hello Fred,

Make sure the home id of your Vera is 1. If it’s something else than 1 (usually because z-wave migration), this scene controller won’t trigger any scenes.

The solution to this matter is only one, I’m afraid. Z-wave on Vera needs to be reset so Vera;s node id defaults to 1.[/quote]

Well the VERA node number changed during the upgrade off of the “1”…The Zrc-90 did not change the node number…maybe we can added or change one of those back?!? without rebuilding the vera!?! Wonder is software for the ZRC-90 is availble?

In this case I have to be on the side of Vera.
Other scene controllers work by accepting that Vera may no longer be ID 1. They just use whatever they are told to use. The ZRC seems to be the only fenickity device that insists that it can only talk to ID 1.

That said;

1. A complete re-build can do wonders. particularly if you upgraded from an older unit.
  2. I think the ZRC-90 is a great device giving umpteen scenes from one small and relatively cheap device.

Yes somewhat agree - has to be a been way to change the node number. I do like the ZRC-90 (i think -never been operational yet)…The Minimote i recently purchased (with the rechargable batterys) , so far all came with battery at the end of life cycle!!! Brand new minmote being shipped with dead batterys!!!

[quote=“Slartibartfast, post:7, topic:196647”]In this case I have to be on the side of Vera.
Other scene controllers work by accepting that Vera may no longer be ID 1. They just use whatever they are told to use. The ZRC seems to be the only fenickity device that insists that it can only talk to ID 1.

That said;

1. A complete re-build can do wonders. particularly if you upgraded from an older unit.
  2. I think the ZRC-90 is a great device giving umpteen scenes from one small and relatively cheap device.[/quote]

So your no longer using the Vera product? what made you finally leave?

[quote=“John M., post:4, topic:196647”]Hello Fred,

The solution to this matter is only one, I’m afraid. Z-wave on Vera needs to be reset so Vera;s node id defaults to 1.[/quote]

Thank you John

No specific reason. I actually had no problem with using Vera. I had never had a failed firmware update and all my devices installed correctly. I really just wanted to see how the other competition stacked up.
I did also want a one box solution where I could put Blue Iris into a pc with my z-wave.

One thing I have found is that not having instant status is no longer a problem. With Vera, even using association back to Vera, I could not reliably expect scenes to run when switching lights. It would be okay some of the time and then just not work until the next poll. Now I get instant response every time without fail.

Before anyone asks. I went with Homeseer. I got the 30 day trial and the improvement in scene response persuaded me to pay the 50% off price when it was available. I already had the NEC pc.
I know it can get expensive if you use a lot of add ons but most of what I use is free.

Any UK users want to buy a Vera Plus?

Thanks…

Rock on

If I buy a new controller in 2018, it will likely be a Secure and I intend to manually install on devices to avoid this exact issue. It is a PIA and is why I will let my Vera 3 run things until it is not usable.

New heard of Secure?

Secure is the most current model: http://getvera.com/controllers/verasecure/

Well I reset everything as sugested by tech support. and the scene controller worked untill vera Node id (for what ever reason) changed back. Not sure why Vera is NOT playing well with this controller.

I will return the ZRC-90Us and the possibly the VERA!?!!

Is anyone using these successfully?

I’m looking to get a couple but I’m concerned they are going to more hassle than they are worth ?

I have several of these together with my Vera Plus. They work great, you can launch 16 scenes (single or double tap) depending on your needs. I have one (almost) in each room.

Thanks for responding, how easy were they to include on your plus ? Any tips (the earlier parts of this thread did not make comfortable reading ?)

Upcoming firmware apparently also supports long press, so that’s three scenes per button. Mwahahaha… I will befuddle my family for years!!!

1 Like