Z-wave 4 Prong appliance control aka Dryer control

Hello guys,

is it just me or are you also not able to find any 4 Prong appliance control Z-wave device? I can find all kinds of 110V or 250V with 3 prongs but my Dryer has a 4 prong connector into the wall which is the black huge connector and I cannot find any Z-wave device to control my Dryer here in US.

Any luck anybody?

The fourth terminal is just a ground. You may be able to use a heavy-duty switch/contactor to control a dryer. Check the load ratings first.

A dryer is an unusual appliance to put under Vera control since it is a batch oriented appliance. I guess you could disable it so it won’t work but Vera isn’t going to wash the laundry and get it loaded into the dryer for you (unless of course if your spouse is named Vera) :smiley:.

A couple of vendors make high current switches for electric water heaters (Intermatic, Aeon Labs). You need to hardwire this. Probably easiest to do it back at the panel than at the dryer.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Intermatic-CA3750-Z-Wave-Contactor-Module-P407.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look for the Intermatic CA3750 - still available, and specifically designed for switching 220V high current loads. You will need to hard wire this device and it is probably best (as pointed out above) to do this at the electrical service panel with the help of an electrician. To the best of my knowledge an in-line plugin module for this application does not exist.

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

Massive contactor with the correct voltage and amps in it’s own box, with a vera switch to activate. Interested as to why you want to do this though.

[quote=“Grwebster, post:6, topic:183929”]Massive contactor with the correct voltage and amps in it’s own box, with a vera switch to activate. Interested as to why you want to do this though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

This. A dryer is on-demand usage. I don’t see a reason why you would want to be able to switch it on and off at the supply unless you’re trying to restrict use. If you’re trying to measure energy usage, other devices do that. This will do it: Home Energy Meter – Aeotec

I am not going to risk switch off the dryer mid cycle or when the wife wants to do a load. :smiley: