Your experiences with Schlage RS100HC door sensor?

Wanted to get feedback on these before I bought several.

Please comment on…

Reliability
Battery Life
connection to wired sensors
etc

thx for the help!

no one… really!?

I have been using one Schlage RS100HC Door/Window sensor with my Vera 3 unit with UI5 since July 7 2013. The RS100HC uses one Lithium CR123A 3V battery. Battery life should be quite well since Battery Level currently indicates 100. The manufacturer asserts that battery life is 3 years. There is a terminal board inside the sensor that allows wire connection to a external sensor similar to the functionality provided by the Everspring SM103 Door/Window Sensor. I was able to include the RS100HC in my Vera3 network with ease. My Vera3 has firmware version 1.5.622. In my system, a change in state (e.g. closed to open) is reported and displayed in less than one second. The RS100HC also detects and reports a tamper condition when its cover is removed; however, my Vera 3 does not currently support display of that condition.

Sounds like a winner… I’ll be buying several today. thx for the input!

I’ve been using this for about 2 weeks now. It has been consistent and reliable. I connected an external sensor (Amseco ODC-59A) as I couldn’t find a suitable spot for the sensor and included magnet for my garage door (they would’ve been at least 1 inch apart if I didn’t get the external sensor).

I use a Vera Lite, and am notified via Prowl (on the iPhone) if the sensor is tripped. It’s fast, takes about a second or two for the notification.

Like Beaton, I have not been able to display or monitor the tamper condition.

I’ll buy another one this week to use on my other garage door.

I have 3 of those running since 4 months. I find them great and reliable (much better than the lousy Everspring devices and better range. I’m even contemplating about replacing my older Everspring sensors with these). They come in 2 colors and play well with Vera. Amazon is currently selling them for a good price (~$36)

I installed 4 of these about two weeks ago and took no time. Very easy to install both mounting and adding to Vera.

Messages to Iphone
I use Push Notification Plugin ([url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11520.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11520.0.html[/url]. I use PushOver (http://www.pushover.net) as provider to get messages on our Iphones. Typically get the message in less than a second and at most 2 seconds.

Chime or Alarm w/ PLEG
I use PLEG have two settings, one for a door chime when doors are unarmed and another sound for when they are armed. There are some issues with armed/trigger feature that hopefully will be resolved soon. You can read this article for more details on armed trips. http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16125.0.html

Overall I really like the sensors. The feel like good quality and alert vera very quickly. Mine came with white and brown and were easy to install. I got mine on garage door with not further fabrication neccessary although some have had to make arrangements for them to align properly. Wish you the best of luck.

[quote=“aaronsquire, post:7, topic:176500”]I installed 4 of these about two weeks ago and took no time. Very easy to install both mounting and adding to Vera.

Messages to Iphone
I use Push Notification Plugin ([url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11520.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11520.0.html[/url]. I use PushOver (http://www.pushover.net) as provider to get messages on our Iphones. Typically get the message in less than a second and at most 2 seconds.

Chime or Alarm w/ PLEG
I use PLEG have two settings, one for a door chime when doors are unarmed and another sound for when they are armed. There are some issues with armed/trigger feature that hopefully will be resolved soon. You can read this article for more details on armed trips. http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16125.0.html

Overall I really like the sensors. The feel like good quality and alert vera very quickly. Mine came with white and brown and were easy to install. I got mine on garage door with not further fabrication neccessary although some have had to make arrangements for them to align properly. Wish you the best of luck.[/quote]

Have you tried the free Veralert Android app? http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?board=21.0

Nope. We both have IOS phones.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to revive this thread but I was thinking it might be useful to have my question in a similar thread for anyone searching in the future. If this should be in a new thread please let me know and I will start one.

I just bought one of these sensors and connected it to the Vera 3 without any problems. It’s my second z-wave device I have connected and everything was straight forward and easy for a beginner like me. I did some preliminary testing without the RS100HC attached to a window and everything was working well. Now for my question.

I have double hung windows (some of which have two sets next to each other) and I would like to connect a couple of additional wired sensors to the RS100HC to save a little money. I was thinking this way I would only have to buy one RS100HC per room instead of 4 or 6. Before mounting or wiring anything I wanted to test to make sure it works as I thought. I have a normally open sensor I have connected to the wired terminals under the white cover in the RS100HC. In my testing I can only get it to trigger if both sensors are open. So if I move one of the magnets away from the sensor it will still look like the window is closed because the other sensor still has a magnet next to it. Has anyone else encountered this? I am very new to this so maybe this is an easy fix that I am missing. I have searched the web but so far I haven’t been able to find anything.

I guess one solution would be to not use the native magnet/sensor on the RS100HC and run all the sensors off the wired connections. I’d prefer not to do this unless it’s absolutely necessary though.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

I picked a couple of these at Amazon today. After putting in my cart and checking out the price dropped to $28.91 each. I’ll have them on Saturday. If they work as I hope and the discount is still in place, I’ll get a couple more.

My idea is to use them pretty much only to alert if open when going to bed or going out.

I did a little more testing last night and it seems like the only way to use the internal sensor in combination with external sensors is to detach one of the connections on the internal sensor and then wire it to one of the leads on an external sensor. These things are pretty expensive so I don’t want to do any modifications like that. I think I’ll just use it to connect external sensors.
I have attached a picture of the inside in case anyone else can think of a different way to do it.

I have been using 4 of these for several months now… totally reliable.

Thanks, just ordered 2 more :slight_smile:

I can’t seem to get this to work (at least as I understand it).

I paired it without a problem. The device showed up as a motion sensor, as I found out from searching is normal. But it doesn’t seem to know when the magnet is next to the sensor. It doesn’t blink. Based on the install sheet, the magnet must be within 1/4" of the Arrow on the side of the sensor. Okay, I put it there but no blink. I remove it, but no blink.

Sigh, Status on the PLEG I’m testing shows the trigger was last tripped at 2:59. Despite me placing the magnet next to sensor and moving it away, over and over again, the status never updates and never changes. It’s always true, ???

Sigh again, apparently at random, I got a blink when I placed the two together and then apart and together and apart. It changed the status. But now nothing again.

Is there some kind of a time out or reset condition or something which would make it appear this random?

FWIW - I haven’t mounted it yet, I’m just putting playing with them on my desk.

Okay - I opened the second sensor and it behaves exactly as expected. It appears the first may be defective or maybe the battery is bad? But it seems to pair w/o a problem. The tamper light comes on as expected and it blinks when not paired. But it just won’t recognize the magnet presence.

dferrey,

I can’t offer much help except to say that it worked fine for me testing the way you did (not mounted, but on a desk). Maybe you need to remove and re add it? Or, like you said, maybe try using the battery from the sensor that is working properly?

[quote=“petewill, post:16, topic:176500”]dferrey,

I can’t offer much help except to say that it worked fine for me testing the way you did (not mounted, but on a desk). Maybe you need to remove and re add it? Or, like you said, maybe try using the battery from the sensor that is working properly?[/quote]Thanks, I did try the other magnet no dice. I also removed and added, no dice.

It’s packed up to return to Amazon and they are sending a replacement. I’ll have the replacement on Wednesday. It’s what I like about them, they’re shipping the replacement without waiting for me to ship back the bad one.