Wink Connect Can't Detect Device

I Recently updated the Wink connect plugin on a Vera Edge from version 17 to Version 0.21.rc9b to try out the newish local control feature. No luck getting it to work. Despite several reloads and reboots, the plugin states that it “Can’t Detect Device” more details in the attached log excerpt and screen capture. I am able to ping the Wink hub at the local IP address. Let me know if the log would be more helpful if I turned on DEBUG and did a reboot as I may not have captured all the useful details.

Thoughts?

Nope… No useful details… and it only shows part of the startup…

Please turn on debug mode… and capture the logs again…

BTW… The “Can’t detect device” error, although inconvenient and unsightly, is mostly harmless… The Wink Connect plugin does not use any of the Vera’s native controllers and does not use the Luup IO mechanism when configured for “POLLED” client mode (Which you have selected), so the error is anomolous…

[quote=“cybrmage, post:2, topic:191533”]Nope… No useful details… and it only shows part of the startup…

Please turn on debug mode… and capture the logs again…[/quote]

OK, thanks for that feedback. I did a reboot with plugin DEBUG on and this is the log as it stands after that:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7VIKeTlHfXYS0w1X3BudFN0LXM

BTW... The "Can't detect device" error, although inconvenient and unsightly, is mostly harmless... The Wink Connect plugin does not use any of the Vera's native controllers and does not use the Luup IO mechanism when configured for "POLLED" client mode (Which you have selected), so the error is anomolous...

It seems that the older version was more responsive than the update. Now I am experiencing delays of 10-20 seconds on an attempt to change a Wink light setting, and, sometimes, the change is completely ignored. If I do 2 changes within a minute or so of each other, the second change is acted on within seconds.

One question I have is why does the App summary still say version 0.17?

Is there a better option than “POLLED”?

[/quote]

The Apps/My Apps page shows v0.17 because that is the version that you installed from the App Marketplace. The Vera has a manifest of the files that were installed with that version…

When you manually updated to v0.21rc9b, when it runs it removes obsolete files, which are required by v0.17.

Since the Vera now thinks that the installed version of the plugin is corrupted, it tries to download the missing files and restarts the LuaUPnP engine. The main plugin file for v0.17 is not downloaded, so the code for v0.21rc9b is run again during the reload, triggering another download and restart… The restart loop is wahat is causing the intermittent operation.

Since the codebase for v0.21rc9b is based on the latest App Marketplace release… v0.20… If you have a prior version installed from the App Marketplace, the v0.21rc9b version MUST be manually installed over the latest App Marketplace version.

To fix it, you must force an “upgrade” to the latest App Marketplace version…

In a browser, enter:

http://<your.vera.ip.address>:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=8131

and allow your Vera to download the v0.20 plugin files and finish reloading. (note: the Vera LuaUPnP engine will reload several times)

Once the Vera is running v0.20, you can then manually upgrade to v0.21rc9b.

There are only two options… If “POLLED” is not the best option… then, by elimination, “NOTIFICATIONS” must be…

Thank you very much @cybrmage for your further input on this issue. I upgraded to the v0.20 version of the App from the app store and then manually upgraded to v0.21.rc9b by uploading the LUUP files in the DEVELOP APPS tab. I have rebooted/reloaded but still do not have the benefit of local control. The device UI7 for the app continues to indicate that it “can’t detect device”. I also see that the device summary tab states only that “REMOTE - AAU ENABLED” not that it is functional. FWIW, it does not matter whether I select “POLLED” or “NOTIFICATIONS” for the client mode in the Advanced Tab, either selection results in the same behaviour, namely “REMOTE - AAU ENABLED”. BTW, I notice that the device variables tab indicates “Hub_Option_Local_Update” is “DISABLED”.

See attached informational screen captures. The most recent reboot log is too big for a forum post, but is available here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7VIKeTlHfXYUGVPYzRadXg3ZW8

Of course, this is not a rooted Hub. Any idea how I can enable local control?

That is what it should say…

Please read the documentation

Please read the documentation[/quote]

Well, I saw that originally, hence my initial questions in this post:

I Recently updated the Wink connect plugin on a Vera Edge from version 17 to Version 0.21.rc9b to try out the newish local control feature. No luck getting it to work. Despite several reloads and reboots, the plugin states that it "Can't Detect Device" more details in the attached log excerpt and screen capture. I am able to ping the Wink hub at the local IP address. Let me know if the log would be more helpful if I turned on DEBUG and did a reboot as I may not have captured all the useful details.

Nothing has changed. Weren’t there any useful details in the log?

Please read the documentation[/quote]

Hmmmm !?? Now that is the only time it has said “REMOTE - AAU ENABLED” and I went into all that detail without even noticing the change. Except for some unknown reason last night, which frankly I didn’t even notice, the app status has always been “REMOTE - AAU Capable” as per the attached appUI capture and log.

Local control is not active. The delays and missed actions are still there and “Can’t find device” error continues to turn up on the Vera dashboard and device, and the PICO remotes still only show up as remotes and not scene controllers.

FYI, the reason I selected “POLLED” in preference to “NOTIFICATIONS” is that there appears to be some type of parsing problem with the APP or the platform. When I use the UI7 interface to interact with the WINK app devices, just lights really, the interaction device changes settings and seems to work in a timely manner. However, I rarely use the UI7 interface except to configure devices or make property changes. I normally change light settings using the mobile interfaces imperihome or Homewave. When using those interfaces to change light settings, as I do in the normal course of Vera interactions, I frequently experience delays exceeding 20 seconds, and sometimes the change is never done. I suspected that the delays are caused by some error or anomaly in the AJAX string parsing. As a consequence, the devices get out of sync with the display presented by imperihome or Homewave. To avoid this, I use “POLLED”, which allows the out of sync condition to correct itself over time and that did not seem to happen with “NOTIFICATIONS”.

I would also like to add that I recognize your tremendous efforts on this APP @cybrmage. I only wish I had the creativity and dedication that you have put in to making the Vera platform one of the most versatile and best offerings available in the marketplace today.

You will need to:

1. Unless you have a compelling reason to have it turned on - DISABLE VERBOSE LOGGING under Settlings/Logs… It is designed to allow Vera Support to have extensively detailed logging, most of which is not required for debugging plugin issues - Having it turned on WILL adversely affect the normal operation of the Vera controller, and makes finding issues with the plugin much harder.
  2. Enable debug logging in the Wink Connect plugin.
  3. Restart the LuaUPnP engine.
  4. Once the plugin shows as ready, try to perform some actions on a Wink device
  5. Post the LuaUPnP.log file, showing the complete startup of the Wink Connect plugin and the actions that you performed.

As previously mentioned, the “Can’t find device” is a nuisance, but does not affect the operation of the plugin. It is easily fixed, but I do not want to push an update for just that issue… I would rather push a single update that resolves that issue and any underlying issues at the same time…

OK didn’t realize verbose loggin was on. I turned it off and did those steps.

The APP started out fine indicating it was AAU ENABLED and all set up properly per view from UI7. I then used the Chrome browser to interact with Vera to switch on device 81, a lutron Caseta light switch (office). The light was changing responsively and the state changes were updated in the browser. I also had a look at the imperihome and Homewave apps and saw that they were updating timely too.

This all came apart when I went to another room and tried to use Homewave to turn on light 84, another lutron Caseta light switch (front bedroom). That wasn’t working and when I got back to the Chrome browser, I noticed a Hub update Error message and attach a log that covers this time period. At this point the Hub is back to HUB: 138556 : Hub (REMOTE - AAU Capable) and the lights are disconnected from the Vera.

I still get this error with .22b3

any solution to this?

It’s been an ongoing problem. He gave some code to turn it off but it came back for me, maybe because wink updated something or maybe there’s a bigger problem. Terryleier posted a log, as requested, but Cybrmage never replied.

luup.set_failure(false,<deviceID>) return true

Change your wink hub (mine was 25) and run the test code; see if it helps…

It’s been an ongoing problem. He gave some code to turn it off but it came back for me, maybe because wink updated something or maybe there’s a bigger problem. Terryleier posted a log, as requested, but Cybrmage never replied.

luup.set_failure(false,<deviceID>) return true

Change your wink hub (mine was 25) and run the test code; see if it helps…[/quote]

… thx, I tried it on 2 different devices (ISY & Wink) - it is not clearing either one :frowning: