WiFi on Vera Plus (Resolved)

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:20, topic:191130”]you don’t need wifi to include and exclude devices. There is buttons on the side of the device to do this. The zwave light blinks fast and slow depending on which mode your in.

You only need internet to the vera during this process if your trying to use a web UI to do it. And even then you can turn wifi on your vera and connect your laptop or phone to the wireless of the vera and access it.[/quote]

Good to know. That never even occurred to me. I did play around with getting a getty running over the Bluetooth though. My preference is still to use the wifi client to connect it to my network. You would have saved me hours this weekend with that solution. I think I’ve reset my entire unit no less than 20 times playing with the wifi driver. Good thing it has a hard reset button.

[quote=“mbc2237, post:12, topic:191130”]After 3 years with the Lite on a wireless connection and not a single issue , I’ll stick with the wireless route.

…[/quote]

I agree that these devices should work well on wifi. it’s best to place the device optimally for zwave. That location may often be away from the router.

I am new and just received my VeraPlus.
Everything was going great until I realized VeraPlus cannot connect to my network using Wifi.
I plan to connect the VeraPlus to my alarm system using AD2USB which will be hard wired to the alarm panel and connects to the Vera USB port. However, I have no wired ethernet near my alarm panel.
I feel a mislead that it was not made clear in the marketing information that out of the box, the VeraPlus could only connect to the users network via wired ethernet.
I agree with others here that this feature should be made a priority!
TJ

[quote=“tjtrolinger, post:23, topic:191130”]I am new and just received my VeraPlus.
Everything was going great until I realized VeraPlus cannot connect to my network using Wifi.
I plan to connect the VeraPlus to my alarm system using AD2USB which will be hard wired to the alarm panel and connects to the Vera USB port. However, I have no wired ethernet near my alarm panel.
I feel a mislead that it was not made clear in the marketing information that out of the box, the VeraPlus could only connect to the users network via wired ethernet.
I agree with others here that this feature should be made a priority!
TJ[/quote]

Looks like its time to run some cat5e and the envisalink evl-4 gives your alarm panel connect alot more options.

Resurrecting this one… I have finally had some time to phase out Vera3 and VeraEdge to be 100% on one VeraPlus. I want to use wifi to connect to my LAN instead of Cat5/6.

I figured by now it would be in the latest firmware but … no?

Did I miss it?

If not, when is this being added?

You figured wrong.

The ability for UI7 Veras to operate in WiFi Client mode is still not an option. You can’t configure 5GHz 802.11a mode either. If you are adept with Linux you can probably get it going through the command line. Although, I haven’t looked into this, so I’m not sure all the pieces are there.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:26, topic:191130”]You figured wrong.

The ability for UI7 Veras to operate in WiFi Client mode is still not an option. You can’t configure 5GHz 802.11a mode either. If you are adept with Linux you can probably get it going through the command line. Although, I haven’t looked into this, so I’m not sure all the pieces are there.[/quote]

I am really close to taking my 4 years of Vera, excluding all of the devices, boxing up and selling the Vera controllers and trying somebody else’s gateway… Red faced mad at the moment. Going over to Facebook to rattle Marc as he seems to be able to get our message thru most of the time.

I wouldn’t waste your time.

Just bought my first set of z-wave outlets - going to use them to control Christmas lights inside the house. How the hell am I supposed to get my vera plus within 10ft of a z-wave outlet so I can pair it if I can’t use wifi??? I have cat6 run to every room in my house, but not necessarily within 10ft of every outlet!!!

Without wifi, Vera engineering is telling me I have to uninstall an outlet near my router (the Vera is plugged in there), install the z-wave outlet, pair, uninstall the z-wave outlet, re-install the original outlet, and finally install the z-wave outlet in its correct location. Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? I’m a computer engineer. Adding client wifi support can not be that hard.

[quote=“cb4, post:29, topic:191130”]Just bought my first set of z-wave outlets - going to use them to control Christmas lights inside the house. How the hell am I supposed to get my vera plus within 10ft of a z-wave outlet so I can pair it if I can’t use wifi??? I have cat6 run to every room in my house, but not necessarily within 10ft of every outlet!!!

Without wifi, Vera engineering is telling me I have to uninstall an outlet near my router (the Vera is plugged in there), install the z-wave outlet, pair, uninstall the z-wave outlet, re-install the original outlet, and finally install the z-wave outlet in its correct location. Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? I’m a computer engineer. Adding client wifi support can not be that hard.[/quote]

Where do you come up with 10ft? Devices can communicate alot further then 10ft. Some security devices like door locks need to be closer but even then more then 10ft can work. In smaller houses 1500sf or less single story houses, I can almost include every light switch in the house without moving the controller even once. If your using newer z-wave plus devices they can included threw the mesh at even further distances. start with closer devices and move out.

Just get of of these guys https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UAKCS6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or something similar to connect your Vera to Wi-fi been running my Vera Edge for 2 years this way, network connect has been completely solid.

You other option would be to get one of those power line adapters to run a network connection through your outlets to your location(though probably more expensive)

[quote=“cb4, post:29, topic:191130”]How the hell am I supposed to get my vera plus within 10ft of a z-wave outlet so I can pair it if I can’t use wifi???..

…I’m a computer engineer.[/quote]
If you can’t answer the above question yourself, with several easy and viable options, then I’d have to say that you aren’t a very good computer engineer(whatever that is exactly).

You could use a long ethernet cable.
You could include the outlet before installing it to a remote location.
You could try including in situ, even if it does exceed 10 feet.
You could use a WiFi bridge such as the TP-Link N300
You could set a manual IP address and plug a laptop into the Vera directly.
You could connect a tablet/laptop/desktop as a client to the Vera AP network and configure that way.

Or, you could just plug Vera into the outlet(for power) and then use the pairing buttons on Vera to include the outlet into Vera.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:32, topic:191130”][quote=“cb4, post:29, topic:191130”]How the hell am I supposed to get my vera plus within 10ft of a z-wave outlet so I can pair it if I can’t use wifi???..

…I’m a computer engineer.[/quote]
If you can’t answer the above question yourself, with several easy and viable options, then I’d have to say that you aren’t a very good computer engineer(whatever that is exactly).[/quote]

Ahahahaha

Maybe, they just normally call network engineers to move their computers 10ft over. ;D

In fairness to Vera, this is somewhat a limitation of the Z-wave protocol. And that is corrected in the Z-wave Plus where it allows network wide inclusion. Although I’m curious to know how well that works in a mixed network which is what most of us will have. So far I’ve gotten away with the “just include it anyway even though the controller is more than 10 feet away” but sooner or later I will probably need the very long Ethernet cable approach.

I see where your trying to go with this but really the thread started asking about why WiFi Client mode doesn’t work like it should or like it worked on older veras. That is totally VERA’s fault. Limitation of z-wave range or inclusion range is a different issue and yes that is changing but no thanks to Vera.

10ft wouldn’t even reach across my smaller bedrooms in the house and my experience (even with my kwikset 910 door locks) I have not had to be any closer then 40-50 plus feet to include devices my self. Detached garages I have had to move closer to include but thats about it. Biggest thing has always been veras instructions recommending you to come within 3ft to include, which some people try to follow to the “T” even if it isn’t always needed. Other thing is vera has always had buttons on the device to manually inlcude without a network wire or wireless connected. But it’s not as nice or easy to use that so people don;t like that solution either.

Hi

I tired of this product (VeraPlus) not living up to what they say it can do.
Will be back to my house in a week and the this shit will be shipped back.

Missing the wifi!!! (Also missing time stamp on sensor and the latest values which my earlier simple 20$ controller did,)

I received a VeraPlus today as an upgrade to my old trusty Vera3 … and then found out that it doesn’t support a WiFi connection to my access point??? This is an upgrade???

It took me a while to find this forum and see that Vera developers were talking back in Feb 2016 that this connectivity would be “coming soon”. Here we are 14 months later and still nada.

As others have noted, I have a mixed bag of mostly older Zwave devices. In fact I have only 10 Zwave+ devices (new Bali motorized blinds) that were the reason for my upgrade to a Zwave+ capable controller. To pair the older devices, I need to have my controller within a few feet. This was convenient with the WiFi connectivity of the Vera controller to my AP. Geesh, some of these devices are a long long way away.

And the most central point of my house for my Zwave devices is a room where I do not have an ethernet cable running. I’m either going to have to run a long ethernet cable to that room, or relocate the VeraPlus. But I simply don’t have another ethernet PORT available on either of my routers. They’re all used by home theater related gizmos. Dammit.

Miffed,
Greg

This is a must have feature for me to!

So tierd of Vera always answer this with, coming soon!

Just connect your Laptop the Vera Wifi … not your home Wifi.
You can move your Vera Plus around to do the exclude/include dance which is a pain on UI7 if you need to exclude first (you have to wait for the include to fail!)

Yup, that’s what I said.

Also,

It’s completely unintuitive, but it turns out that you don’t have to wait. If you click Next, without waiting, it immediately takes you from Include to Exclude mode.