Whole house surge protector

Greetings

To protect the equipment from surges I am seriously considering to add a whole house surge protector (additionally getting some electrical and Lan wiring done so it is a good oppertunity). Z-wave does not like surge protectors (as I have been told) so will it be a problem although this surge protector will essentially work as a firewall for surges and all z-wave devices will be in normal broadcast network behind the protector (sorry being an EX- IT arch using that lingo - guess too much used to).

If you have one, will appreciate sharing your experience and challenges.

Thanks in advance

I have had whole house surge protection http://www.smarthome-products.com/p-496-dtk-wh8plus-whole-house-surge-protection-kit.aspx on my house longer than I have been automated - living in one of the lighting capitals of the world and being into computers and electronics it was essential. I have not seen any issues with my network at all and actually never considered not having surge protection. 8)

[quote=“Keeper, post:1, topic:165576”]Greetings

To protect the equipment from surges I am seriously considering to add a whole house surge protector (additionally getting some electrical and Lan wiring done so it is a good oppertunity). Z-wave does not like surge protectors (as I have been told) so will it be a problem although this surge protector will essentially work as a firewall for surges and all z-wave devices will be in normal broadcast network behind the protector (sorry being an EX- IT arch using that lingo - guess too much used to).

If you have one, will appreciate sharing your experience and challenges.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

my experience is that x-10 and insteon powerline commands dont like some surge protectors, some noise filters, and some UPC’s. But Z-wave being rf has no probelm at all with anything I’ve tried. Basically z-wave signals go over the air not through the ac wiring- whereas x-10 and insteon commands go through the copper ax wires and hence can get fouled up,

I assume x-10 rf and insteon rf (both can do rf i beleive) should be fine also with surge protectors- but i have no experience with those.

michaelk is correct, I had to use a X10 amplifier along with my 51120 Leviton surge device.

Appreciate all the answers. I was recently given another option of Voltage regulator (will cost slightly more) and will work with solar inverter hand-in-hand. I do see that it may be an overkill but I am considering the options.

Thanks again

regards

Keeper