What is Vera Edge ip address?

I have a Vera edge that I can connect to wirelessly using the password from my login dashboard. I was aware that you could login to the wifi controller using 192.168.81.1.

How does this work? I cannot seem to get this address to work?
any ideas or hints

Are you trying to connect to the Vera Edge controller from within your home network? You will need to know the Vera Edge IP address… However if you log to http://home.getvera.com from within your home network, it should sense that and will try to log direct.

Also, after being redirected to the local IP address, you will see your Vera Edge IP address on the browser address box.

Give it a try: http://home.getvera.com!

Thanks for the response.

I guess I should be more specific. I can connect to the unit from both my internal network as well as through the Vera remote login service.

What I’m looking to do is connect to the unit’s WIFI setup page. I want to be able to add switches and door locks around the house without having to have an ethernet cable connected to teeth unit. I have a large house and it is just not feasible to run a 100ft ethernet cable tot he second floor to add in new Zwave units.

[quote=“jpottsx1, post:1, topic:190565”]I have a Vera edge that I can connect to wirelessly using the password from my login dashboard. I was aware that you could login to the wifi controller using 192.168.81.1.

How does this work? I cannot seem to get this address to work?
any ideas or hints[/quote]

That IP address is only for direct link to a computer. When you plugin any device or connect it wirelessly to your network it is the router that gives out an address (unless you went in that devices settings and told it to force an IP adress which is not recommend because it might not be one that is free or able to be used on your network. In that case the device would not work at all until you removed it from your network. By default most if not all devices are not set to do this). Your router usually starts with a 192.168.1.1 But the last two digits can be something else. Usually your router will be set to start giving out address at 192.168.1.100 all the way up to 192.168.1.200 or 250 depending on how many it’s able to give out.

So you answer your question your IP address is unknown to us and yours is different then mine and if you unplug your vera and plug it back in the next day it may not even have the same ip address it did the day before.

As was stated the way to get your current IP address of vera is home.getvera.com from your local computer on the same network and after you login and get to your vera look in the web address bar of that webpage and you’ll see the local IP address similer to what I posted above. This local IP adress will only work when your on the home local network but it can also be found if your away by logging into vera web UI and going to settings, Net & wifi, under “how does vera connect to the internet” click manually configure, you should see your local IP address in the IP address box. I recommend you not change or save any of these settings in here though. If you want to set a static IP address or one that is always the same it is best to do it in your router which is called IP or address reservation. It will ask for the MAC (serial number) of the device and what IP address you want to give it. It will not use that IP address when it’s giving out address to devices connected unless it sees that serial number. It reserves that IP for the device. If you try and do it in the device you could end up with problems of IP conflicts as the router doesn’t know whats going on and your forcing it from the other end when it’s the routers job to had out empty/unused addresses that fit it network.

I see your point. But it wont work the way you’re imagining.
If I’m correct, you want to add zwave devices using the wifi part of your Vera Edge. Is that so? ~

I’m also a newbie here but as far as I know, when you add a zwave device to your controller, the new device must be close to the controller (up to 3 feet). The way I’m doing it is quite simple: I have a small power cable with just neutral and live cables that I connect to the new device. Then I put my controller in “inclusing mode” and I power up the new device at a power outlet near the Vera Edge. Works every time! :slight_smile:

I hope this helps!

I understand that the VeraEdge is supposed to be able to detect an Zwave device add or remove. But I have some switches that will not get detected by my Vera Edge unless it is in the same room as the switch to be added.

I thought that I could simply plug the Vera Edge into its power supply, let it boot up and use my laptop to initiate the Add a new device sequence.

[quote=“jpottsx1, post:3, topic:190565”]Thanks for the response.

I guess I should be more specific. I can connect to the unit from both my internal network as well as through the Vera remote login service.

What I’m looking to do is connect to the unit’s WIFI setup page. I want to be able to add switches and door locks around the house without having to have an ethernet cable connected to teeth unit. I have a large house and it is just not feasible to run a 100ft ethernet cable tot he second floor to add in new Zwave units.[/quote]

I don’t think the EDGE can connect to the internet wirelessly and move it around with only a power cable. It has wireless built in so you can connect to it or have cameras connect to it for direct streaming but I don’t think you can have it connect to your wireless router. I don’t know if that makes sense to you.

I don’t move my VERA around and it’s not the best Idea to move it as it needs to find it’s routing and such from where the unit is and where the switch is. If you temporally move the vera and setup then move it back VERA gets confused on where the device is and how to route to it. Have you tried to add the new devices with the vera in it’s current location?

Devices don’t have to be within 3 feet and that myth is getting to be further from the truth with new devices. z-wave plus can now relay/share the incoming inclusion and bounce it back to the main hub threw the other devices. This is not so true for standard z-wave devices tho.

But z-wave reaches more then 10 feet and even after you include or add it… It will have to talk to the controller from another room.

The other option VERA has built in is to add a device without the UI. You don;t need to have internet cable plugged into vera to use the include button on the side of the vera. You use the z-wave light blinking fast/slow to determine if you are in add or remove mode and you can add a device without being plugged into the internet. You can then go back and plug it in and rename it and put it in the right room.

It is much easier to use the UI. But if you don’t want to run a cable and can’t get it to add from the current location then that’s your option.

jpottsx1 the way zwave works is not based on typical wifi signal. To add a new zwave device it MUST be within 3 feet from the controller. So either you bring the new device close to the controller (recommended way) or you need to bring the controller close to the device (not recommended!!!).

The way I do it is this: I take the new device close to the controller, connect the mentioned cable to the device, then from my notebook I connect to home.getvera.com (or my Vera IP address) and I put the Vera Edge in inclusion mode (to add a new device). Then when it starts the 60 second counter, I plug in the new device to the power outlet close to the Vera controller.

I hope this helps!

[quote=“Santos, post:9, topic:190565”]jpottsx1 the way zwave works is not based on typical wifi signal. To add a new zwave device it MUST be within 3 feet from the controller. So either you bring the new device close to the controller (recommended way) or you need to bring the controller close to the device (not recommended!!!).

The way I do it is this: I take the new device close to the controller, connect the mentioned cable to the device, then from my notebook I connect to home.getvera.com (or my Vera IP address) and I put the Vera Edge in inclusion mode (to add a new device). Then when it starts the 60 second counter, I plug in the new device to the power outlet close to the Vera controller.

I hope this helps![/quote]

3 feet is not required and only a few devices I know need this. Other problem with your thery is when you have a hardwired light switch you can;t bring it close and the same problem happens when you add it close to the controller. It thinks that’s it permanent spot, it sets the best communication as direct with the vera (which don’t work when you move it 50 feet away afterwards) and it learns its closest neighbors are the devices that are near your vera which again your going to move it after setup.

Well, my experience with some Fibaro devices is that Vera Edge won’t include them unless they are within 3 feet or so. I had trouble with them being as far as 10 feet! The new zwave plus may be more friendly but the way I’ve been doing it has worked every single time for over 20 devices now (which most are just zwave, not zwave plus).

Does Fibaro even make anything but battery devices? Battery devices are a different animal and ofcourse are easy to walk to the controller. Battery devices don’t work help with the mesh network either which will cause you to have a harder time getting them to respond or reach.

But I see your point of why you don’t have a problem when your thinking of battery devices.

My point was geared toward hardwired devices, like light switches, outlets and such. Not double sided tape stuck to the wall devices.

Actually my experience is based not on battery devices but Fibaro hard wired devices like the relay switches 1x2.5KW and the 2x1.5KW (as well as their dimmers and power plug). I did have a small issue with their new Dimmer2 using my strategy: i had to force recalibration, but I only had to do it in one out of the three Dimmer2 devices I installed.

Nest time I install another device I will try once again to include it without being just 3-feet away from Vera Edge. I hope it works and it would make my life easier :slight_smile:

Didn’t read the entire thread, but what I think you are trying to do is take your vera around the house to include or exclude devices. You want to connect to the Vera via it’s wireless network as opposed to dragging cat-5 all over your house (cause cat’s don’t like being dragged). I did this 2 weekends ago and it was easy. While connected to the wireless network, go into the wireless settings and configure the wireless setting with a passkey. Disconnect the Vera from the wired network and connect to the Vera SSID from your laptop. The Vera address is then the IP address listed in the LAN address box. Default is 192.168.81.1

Roger

[quote=“RogerO, post:14, topic:190565”]Didn’t read the entire thread, but what I think you are trying to do is take your vera around the house to include or exclude devices. You want to connect to the Vera via it’s wireless network as opposed to dragging cat-5 all over your house (cause cat’s don’t like being dragged). I did this 2 weekends ago and it was easy. While connected to the wireless network, go into the wireless settings and configure the wireless setting with a passkey. Disconnect the Vera from the wired network and connect to the Vera SSID from your laptop. The Vera address is then the IP address listed in the LAN address box. Default is 192.168.81.1

Roger[/quote]

I didn’t think about this. You don’t have internet to the vera but you won’t need it to access the Ui and add devices. So this would be good the settings and password if not printed on the sticker on the EDGE would be in settings, net and wifi, manual setup towards the bottom.