What brand door locks to evaluate?

I have read various threads in this sub-forum about the Kwiksets, Schlage, and Yales. Obviously more people are going to post here if they are having problems, so most of what one reads is problems. Is there a generalization as to which brand has more complete/seamless integration with the Vera Plus?

Cant speak for the other two but I use, install and sell the Kwikset brand mostly for their rekeying feature called Smart Key. It allows you to rekey your lock very easily and inexpensively.
If you plan on having to rekey for any reason, something to think about.

To ensure there is actual support from Vera choose a lock listed in your Add Devices section. This doesn’t mean the lock with certain features works flawlessly but it will have a better chance of resolving any potential issue since it is in this list.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

That makes complete sense. I’m hoping to hook up the Vera tomorrow night and see what the interface looks like. I guess I’m just trying to get a sense of whether or not there is a particular brand that Vera seems to have more complete integration with such that when it is hooked up, “it just works” with all the features that I paid for in the product! Either that or just specific models that are known to have all the features enabled and integrated.

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote=“a1certified, post:4, topic:199076”]That makes complete sense. I’m hoping to hook up the Vera tomorrow night and see what the interface looks like. I guess I’m just trying to get a sense of whether or not there is a particular brand that Vera seems to have more complete integration with such that when it is hooked up, “it just works” with all the features that I paid for in the product! Either that or just specific models that are known to have all the features enabled and integrated.

Thanks for your feedback.[/quote]

Use the vera supported product list as a guide also. Just because it’s in the device list inside Vera is not a “great” indicator of product support. The website gives notes on how well it’s integrated and specifics on what features do not work. Example is the NYCE Ceiling motion sensor is in the device list. BUT the temperature and humidity do not work out of the box. There’s hack to get the temperature readings yet there’s currently no hack aka app to get the humidity even though it’s plain as day in the parameters. This information is on the website. I went around and around with support that it was on their supported device list and they pointed out the “incomplete features” notice… that’s their “out” from providing full device support that it’s posted on the website.

[quote=“a1certified”]That makes complete sense. I’m hoping to hook up the Vera tomorrow night and see what the interface looks like. I guess I’m just trying to get a sense of whether or not there is a particular brand that Vera seems to have more complete integration with such that when it is hooked up, “it just works” with all the features that I paid for in the product! Either that or just specific models that are known to have all the features enabled and integrated.

Thanks for your feedback.[/quote]In addition I think kwikset has been with Vera the longest. However their physical lock mechanism security isn’t rated high but if someone wants in they’ll find a way anyhow.

Kwikset did announce zwave plus locks coming to the market soon too. They are generally cheaper then schlage or Yale.

I actually went the opposite way with Yale: I wanted no key at all since the key can easily be picked or bumped. Yale has been working well for me, I have 3 of them.

I use the Schlage BE469NX. Works well enough.

The Yale is quite interesting and seems very safe. But I wonder about that 9V battery backup connection. How well electrically is it protected? Could someone hook up 110VAC and blow it out - a denial of service even if it doesn’t let you in? On the other hand it is silly to go too wild with this since the motivated intruder will always find another way in. And what miscreant would be carrying an electrical cord to do this? More of an academic thought.

Not a silly question/thought at all - I had pondered precisely the same thing when I heard about that feature…

Not a silly question/thought at all - I had pondered precisely the same thing when I heard about that feature…[/quote]

Exactly, a good question. I chose buy one that also supported a key. The Kwikset 910. While I’m not some big fan of this lock and would like to upgrade I’m still not sold on a full keyless method. I still have the bottom knob lock as well which needs a key. Regardless of the fact it’s not any more of a break in deterrent, the family enjoys knowing both locks are locked so really the zwave lock ideally let’s me know who is going in or out even with some inconvenience.

I have constantly searched for a z-wave door knob to replace it but there isn’t one.

Kwikset 912

I too prefer the door knob itself to be locked rather than a separate deadlock that could either not align & engage, or potentially lock while the door is still open.

I had a proprietary one on my holiday home - a LockState 6i. VERY solid construction, loved it, but entirely dependant on talking to their mothership. Many, many, many bugs later I have eventually removed it.

But only after finally finding a single Z-Wave lock in Australia that is also door knob/lock - it’s called a KAS lock. Installed that and it is working an absolute treat - just doesn’t feel as solid as the old LockState, keypad isn’t as nice or robust, and it plays stupid tones you’d expect from a cheap Chinese device (which is ultimately what it is).

More importantly, both the KAS and the old LockState still had a manual key - though with the KAS it is concealed so not obvious it is there.

My ultimate goal is to tear apart the old LockState and convert it into Z-wave using a Z-UNO so I can put that baby back. If that works out I’ll do it again for my own home.

Not a silly question/thought at all - I had pondered precisely the same thing when I heard about that feature…[/quote]

Exactly, a good question. I chose buy one that also supported a key. The Kwikset 910. While I’m not some big fan of this lock and would like to upgrade I’m still not sold on a full keyless method. I still have the bottom knob lock as well which needs a key. Regardless of the fact it’s not any more of a break in deterrent, the family enjoys knowing both locks are locked so really the zwave lock ideally let’s me know who is going in or out even with some inconvenience.

I have constantly searched for a z-wave door knob to replace it but there isn’t one.[/quote]

There is a “lever” you can get. Not a knob I know, but still replaces a knob

[url=https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/door-locks/products/schlage-fe599-619-z-wave-lever-lock-satin-nickel]https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/door-locks/products/schlage-fe599-619-z-wave-lever-lock-satin-nickel[/url]

Yes I’m talking lever - just used door knob as I thought that term made more sense to most.

Here’s the LockState I previously had installed - unfortunately I haven’t taken a photo of the new Z-Wave KAS I’ve installed.

I go back and forth about getting smart locks. On one hand I like it and it’s just another automated tool in the house. On the other hand it doesn’t make sense for my doors. The main doors are all windowed french glass doors and the two others have windows as well. No lock is going to keep anyone out anyways.

[quote=“jeubanks”]I go back and forth about getting smart locks. On one hand I like it and it’s just another automated tool in the house. On the other hand it doesn’t make sense for my doors. The main doors are all windowed french glass doors and the two others have windows as well. No lock is going to keep anyone out anyways.[/quote]At minimum you could know who is coming and going in the house. I didn’t get my smart Lock as a theft deterrent but rather knowing certain lights trigger and notifications and video of who went in or left.

[quote=“tomtcom, post:16, topic:199076”][quote=“jeubanks”]I go back and forth about getting smart locks. On one hand I like it and it’s just another automated tool in the house. On the other hand it doesn’t make sense for my doors. The main doors are all windowed french glass doors and the two others have windows as well. No lock is going to keep anyone out anyways.[/quote]At minimum you could know who is coming and going in the house. I didn’t get my smart Lock as a theft deterrent but rather knowing certain lights trigger and notifications and video of who went in or left.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk[/quote]

If I had people coming and going from my house a lot that would make sense. I don’t have people coming and going that aren’t my wife and kids. I work from home most of the time anyways. Outside that when I do go to the office I get a motion notification from the cameras in the driveway and my wife or someone will usually be home. Thinking about it, generally there is almost always someone home…hrm…

I agree.
No reason to get them unless you hate using a key or you have other people using the door (kids, roommate, or utility people) and want to simplify it and make is more secure for you and them. Easier to delete a code than rekey your lock.

My thinking is what has been mentioned above – to be able to use a status change on a door lock to trigger other events within the system.

I looked at the Kwikset 912 but am shying away from those locks that have digits printed on individual buttons. I’d much prefer a touchscreen keypad. Purely for aesthetics. I have seen too many of these keypads that have the numbers worn off of them making them hard to read and ugly. I suppose the touchscreen could get all scratched up and ugly too, but nothing is perfect right? Is there any such beast out there that a) works with Vera, b) is integrated with a lever/knob instead of a deadbolt, and c) has a touchscreen for PIN/code entry?

[quote=“a1certified, post:19, topic:199076”]My thinking is what has been mentioned above – to be able to use a status change on a door lock to trigger other events within the system.

I looked at the Kwikset 912 but am shying away from those locks that have digits printed on individual buttons. I’d much prefer a touchscreen keypad. Purely for aesthetics. I have seen too many of these keypads that have the numbers worn off of them making them hard to read and ugly. I suppose the touchscreen could get all scratched up and ugly too, but nothing is perfect right? Is there any such beast out there that a) works with Vera, b) is integrated with a lever/knob instead of a deadbolt, and c) has a touchscreen for PIN/code entry?[/quote]

Yale YRL series. I own 2 of these…