Welcome to the New Vera Community Forum

According to this article, wider is not always better :slight_smile: Readability: The Optimal Line Length – Articles – Baymard Institute.

Leaving jokes aside, I’ve tampered a bit more with the CSS and made “the wide” a bit “wider”, while not overlapping with the timeline widget.

Now that’s interesting. I wonder how we managed to read those things…oh what were they called? Made of dead trees, oh yes books :smiley:

No seriously, appreciate it. Looks pretty good, now

C

Hey, C,

I’ve worked some more on the fonts and colors.

Decreased size and padding of some elements like titles, categories and subcategories and avatars for an overall more compact view.
Increased the contrast on the “grey” elements you don’t like for the “read” items. Should be easier on eyes.

The topics list now are tighter in padding so less wasted space. I’ve also added alternating colors (odd/even) for topics list, see: General Discussions - Ezlo Community

I hope this makes thing a little bit better for you.

1 Like

Thanks @Sorin. Better stop now or I won’t have anything else to moan about :slight_smile:

Cheers!

C

Although I now find it almost impossible to see which topics I’ve read :frowning: . Can’t we just make the go away?

C

Do you want back the lighter gray? :slight_smile:

I would, but it’s not just me :slight_smile:

I’d still prefer post that have been read to not be displayed when you select unread posts :smiley:

Thanks, @Sorin

C

This is the “logic” behind the “Unread” function:

By default, topics are considered unread and will show unread counts 1 if you:

• Created the topic
  • Replied to the topic
  • Read the topic for more than 4 minutes

Or if you have explicitly set the topic to Tracked or Watched via the notification control at the bottom of each topic.

Visit your [preferences] to change this.

Oh I know there’s ‘logic’ but it’s not very good logic, really.

This is a post you have not read, but it’s not showing in your unread posts because, although you’ve not read it, it’s not un-read :smiley:

Don’t fret it :wink:

C

Post one more reply here please :slight_smile: thanks

. Why? :wink:

OK, semi serious question is there a described logic of why post that have been read (granted, recently) are still displayed when you select un-read?
I don’t want it particularly changed, but it’s so counter to every other forum I’ve used I’m genuinely curious.

OK?
C

Now I’m at a loss finding the right logic myself lol :smiley: Thanks, C
As soon as you posted a new reply, it showed up under the /unread filter. Isn’t this the expected behavior?

Hi!

My old profile hasn’t been allowing me to make any posts, so I’ve had to create a new one.

That’s where I’d expect unread posts. But it’s also where I’d expect New Topics which are by definition, inherently unread…

C

I understand what you mean :slight_smile: …I think.

While I cannot change the “logic” behind these two functions the best I can do is to tell you how are they defined.

Why are they not merged, I don’t know? But I understand that Unread Topics are not always New Topics because they can refer to Existing Topics but with Unread posts.

:exploding_head: = me trying to explain this :grinning:

New Topics

By default, topics are considered new and will show a new indicator if they were created in the last 2 days.

Unread Topics

By default, topics are considered unread and will show unread counts 1 if you:

• Created the topic
  • Replied to the topic
  • Read the topic for more than 4 minutes

Or if you have explicitly set the topic to Tracked or Watched via the notification control at the bottom of each topic.

1 Like

I know it’s not your logic, and I do understand it.

And this is true, but New Topic are always unread

Shrug. It is what it is.

C

Sorry to say.
I miss the old forum, this one is difficult to navigate in.
A bit of a mess.

1 Like

On a positive note, I really like the “Latest” and the fact that it shows read topics in dark. Makes it easy to see what happened since last I checked the forums.

@Sorin, the old forum cannot be reached anymore. I was looking for some files to download and found that these are not migrated to this new forum (topic is migrated but attachments are not migrated). Any way I could get those files? It concerns an update to the rain prediction plugin.