Very Strange

When I woke up this morning and passed through the Family room on the way to make coffee the lights didn’t go on. Odd since they’ve worked properly for months and months. Thinking there was a schedule problem or something I opened the VERA UI and was met with about half of the light switches/modules with a RED FLAG as seen in the attached. I looked at the Family room and the motion sensor had indeed fired and the off timer was counting down but none of the lights was on and ALL of the switches were marked this way. I checked the Heal Report and everything was normal, that is to say nothing but the green checkmark on every item in the list (no stars of coourse)

Since it is not all devices and you did say that the motion sensor trip was recorded, I would assume that this is not a Z-Wave dongle failure.

My first guess is that it is an incomplete or broken heal(busted routes). I would try power cycling the Vera and running another heal.

It could be that there is in intermediate node that is a sort of bottleneck in the path to part of your network that has failed, making that part of the network unreachable. I would suspect this if some/many devices were working but another group was not. To fix, I’d start with a heal and if the problem persisted, try to locate the troubled bottleneck device.

I have seen a couple of reports like yours where the problem was resolved by restoring the Vera and the Z-Wave dongle to a backup from the previous couple of days. Whether or not such a blunt repair method was actually necessary is unknown.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:2, topic:179032”]Since it is not all devices and you did say that the motion sensor trip was recorded, I would assume that this is not a Z-Wave dongle failure.

My first guess is that it is an incomplete or broken heal(busted routes). I would try power cycling the Vera and running another heal.

It could be that there is in intermediate node that is a sort of bottleneck in the path to part of your network that has failed, making that part of the network unreachable. I would suspect this if some/many devices were working but another group was not. To fix, I’d start with a heal and if the problem persisted, try to locate the troubled bottleneck device.

I have seen a couple of reports like yours where the problem was resolved by restoring the Vera and the Z-Wave dongle to a backup from the previous couple of days. Whether or not such a blunt repair method was actually necessary is unknown.[/quote]

Thanks. It happened overnight so I’m guessing it had something to do with the nightly Heal. The overnight Heal Report did APPEAR to have completed properly but it doesn’t tell you much. I’ve run another Heal but this time just the Vera Routes and everything again completed successfully.

If it happens again I will make note of the relative location of the failed items, perhaps as you say some one is jammed up and preventing communications with everyone “beyond” that point. I did not pay attention to the individual failed devices but if what you surmise is correct then I’d guess that tests are fun in Node Order and and the failing device should be sequentially “lower” than the devices reporting the problem.

Thanks again

No. If the problem is a bottleneck node blocking the routes, the way to find it would be to see what nodes Vera is trying to route through to reach the unreachable device. That intermediate node would be the likely issue, assuming that a dying node is the issue at all.

No. If the problem is a bottleneck node blocking the routes, the way to find it would be to see what nodes Vera is trying to route through to reach the unreachable device. That intermediate node would be the likely issue, assuming that a dying node is the issue at all.[/quote]

OK, got it.

Exactly this happened to me a week ago - took AGES to find, I guess I’m no good at understanding the logs. However, in the end, errant node (I think it had developed Tourette syndrome) identified by a process of elimination and luck. Everything works a treat again now… I just have to re-assemble the network of machines I dismantled to find it!

(although, I think I’ll not bother to re-bridge them, since I now have other methods to monitor and control distinct Veras.)

Exactly this happened to me a week ago - took AGES to find, I guess I’m no good at understanding the logs. However, in the end, errant node (I think it had developed Tourette syndrome) identified by a process of elimination and luck. Everything works a treat again now… I just have to re-assemble the network of machines I dismantled to find it!

(although, I think I’ll not bother to re-bridge them, since I now have other methods to monitor and control distinct Veras.)[/quote]

So how does one find a thing like this? searching though VERA logs in memory seems to be a losing proposition frankly.