Version 2.0 for Vera Concierge

I have the following planned for Version 2.0

1. Support for Broadlink IR Devices
    a) Auto Discovery
    b) Record IR from Any Broadlink device, Send to Any Broadlink device.
    c) IR commands logically contained in a folder, i.e. a Samsung TV Folder, with commands for Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, …

2. Google Home/Google Assistant (Vera Concierge) commands to support Broadlink devices.
    Use Remote “Folder Name” on/in/for device “Broadlink name”
    i.e. Use Remote Samsung TV in the Living Room
    Then you just say commands like
    Volume Up
    Mute
    Menu
    Up

repeat or again
    Select
    exit
    done

3. Google Home/Google Assistant (Vera Concierge) commands to support scheduling
    Existing Vera Concierge Syntax with options for:
    at 11 PM
    after 15 minutes.

i.e. Alarm the House at 11 PM
    Turn of TVs in 30 minutes
    Cancel last
    Cancel all
    The Active status command will also list active schedules.

4. The ability to use the Google Home Automation Voice Commands (In addition to or in lieu of, the Vera Concierge Voice semantics) with your Local Concierge Server.
    Configurable via the Local Concierge Server customization page.
    (i.e. what can be used, and use the first alias if defined for the device, scene, and/or room name)

5. Turn on License Nagging for those that do not have a license.

Version 2 is coming along nicely.
The following has already been released:

1. Support for Broadlink IR Devices
    You will need my “Broadlink RM Vera Concierge” plugin.
  2. Waiting on Google to accept my “Home Control” plugin … Then …
    The ability to use the Google Home Automation Voice Commands (In addition to or in lieu of, the Vera Concierge Voice semantics) with your Local Concierge Server.
    Configurable via the Local Concierge Server customization page.
    (i.e. what can be used, and use the first alias if defined for the device, scene, and/or room name)
    With this you just say:
    OK Google Turn on the Office Light
    Since Google provides all of the speech detection … I am expecting that this will support other languages right away.

Awesome!
Thanks Richard. Keep us posted.

This looks great, just got a Google Home Mini. Unfortunately, I’m still on Vera 1 which is UI4. Any chance that can be added? I understand if it can’t.

Thanks,
Brian

It should work … Just mark it as UI5.

I dont currently have a Broadlink RM Pro but will Vera Concierge be able to control RF433 mhz devices on the Broadlink as well as IR devices?

Thanks.

I have released RF support … but can not test … because I do not have any devices.

You can now issue voice commands to control your Broadlink remotes.
I have not implemented the Last, ad repeat functionality yet.

Richard, wasn’t sure where else to put this… but a development-themed thread seemed like a reasonable candidate. :wink:

First up: THANK YOU for your continued work supporting Vera!

And now, down to business… I’m running VeraConcierge on a Pi3. I hit two significant roadblocks during installation; one was caused by my trying to run the initial “java -jar ConciergeServer” command from an ssh shell. The installer kept complaining about a missing libarary and quitting, because (I finally figured out) the jar file was trying to access the Xwindows environment while I was running headless. If there was something in the install docs which explained this, I missed it, but the install MUST be run from a terminal window on the Pi desktop, not from a shell, because the install process tries to launch a browser to configure the local server. Personally, I’d prefer a version that eliminated the graphics dependency(ies) so as to run cleanly under an ssh shell, and exited with a message telling me to point my Windows/Mac/iPad/iPhone browser at the appropriate URL to start configuration… but perhaps a “README.txt” item detailing the graphical environment requirement would suffice for the short term 8)

The second roadblock was that, after I finally figured my way past the first problem and I got a browser window to launch from the install, the server seemed like it had started, but was refusing all connections. “ps ax” was showing java up and running the right file; I just couldn’t connect to it as though the port was blocked. It took me an hour of poking around until I finally saw the “-delay 60” and in the init.d script, the proverbial lightbulb came on and I realized it might just be sleeping… so I let it sit for over a minute and tried again. Bingo! :stuck_out_tongue:

I subsequently found that you wrote in a sticky thread in this forum:

I found some problems when testing on a Raspberry Pi 3. The network does not become stable for almost 1 minute after booting. By then the Vera Concierge has already failed trying to connect the Vera Cloud Servers.

For normal operation the ConciergeServer jar file is run with a single argument:

java -jar ConciergeServer service

I have added some more arguments (available in 2.009) to help solve these problems:
-log LogFilePath
-delay SecondsToDelay

Well, ok then! I wish I’d read that sooner ::slight_smile: ;D … Even so, the solution you implemented has the downside of having the VC server remain unreachable for the first minute after every restart – even a soft restarts, like updates. And it’s also unavailable for the first 60 seconds after boot, even if the network were to become available after (say) 30s (mine is usually up in around 20s).

As a workaround, I’ve dumped the init.d script and am using systemctl instead. I think it’s cleaner, easier, more efficient and requires less maintenance than wrangling shell scripts :stuck_out_tongue: If you’d like to try it out, here are the details (I’m assuming ConciergeServer.jar was installed in /home/pi/VC):

1. sudo bash
  2. create /home/pi/VC/vc.service with perms -rw-r–r-- (644) and add contents as follows:

[code]
[Unit]
Description=Vera Concierge
Wants=network.target
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
WorkingDirectory=/home/pi/VC
ExecStart=/usr/bin/java -jar /home/pi/VC/ConciergeServer.jar service

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target[/code]

1. create a softlink to the file for systemctl to find: I’ve called mine “myvc” to save typing ;D
ln -nsf /home/pi/VC/vc.service /etc/systemd/system/myvc.service
  1. inform systemd of the changes:
systemctl daemon-reload

and finally,
5. start the service:

systemctl start myvc

Now your server will be started on reboots as soon as the network is available, but not before. And it will be available immediately after any soft restart (software update, etc).

I have a suggestion for the configuration system: can the “save changes” button on the customization page perform the same action(s) as found on the “My Account” page, ie force rediscovery? I found that when aliases are added on the custom pages and “Save Changes” is clicked, the changes are saved but not initially recognized – ATM I have to click the “Force Discovery of new/changed Devices/Scenes” button on the My Account page (so I have to keep it open on another tab) to make the changes take effect.

I’m LOVING the Google Assistant shortcuts! FAR better than telling Alexa: “turn on Close Garage Door” :o ::slight_smile: … I now simply say “Hey Google, Close the Garage Door” … and that’s that! No more “Alexa, turn on bedtime scene”. Now I just say “OK Google, time for bed!” and all the usual lights/security stuff happens. Beautiful!

Thanks so much for creating this bridge, Richard! After a week or so now of wrestling with the broken Amazon/Vera Scene linkage fiasco, I finally had the impetus to get stuck into the VeraConcierge stuff, and I’m SO glad I did! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

For rediscovery …

OK Google Reset “My Vera Name”

or

OK Google Use “My Vera Name”

Even if you only have one Vera, the “Use” command will rediscover any new/renamed devices and/or aliases.

Just learned of a new Google update which enables the command: “OK Google, resync my devices”.

This will automatically add any newly added HA devices that were linked. No longer do you have to unlink/relink the HA account and then have to respecify the rooms for each and every device all over again!

I don’t think this applies to VeraConcierge until it is approved by Google and can be linked directly, but it sure works great for the devices controlled by my Wink hub.

I will add a resync alias to the use command in addition to the reset alias for Vera concierge … to be compatible.

Help,

It doesn’t work for me… I’m certain I’m doing something wrong, but having trouble figuring out debug strategy. I previously had it running on a Windows laptop… I deleted the jar file from that system and am now trying to get it running on a Raspberry Pi 3.0. I’m fairly familiar with linux in general, but am fairly new to the Pi world.

I created a directory /home/pi/Vera and copied the jar file in there. I ran /usr/bin/java -jar ConciergeServer.jar per the instructions, and it seemingly worked fine. I installed the certificate so that the browser warning goes away (although https: is still crossed out and in red). I put in my userid and password, and picked Ui6+ Case sensitive, and pressed Update and Restart, and none of my Vera’s show up in the list (I have three, one master and two in outbuildings).

Here’s a partial log:

23-Jan-2018 09:52:05 V:CSWebContainer:Config Cmd:/Query?Discovered=
23-Jan-2018 09:52:07 V:CSWebContainer:Cmd:/Log?
23-Jan-2018 09:52:12 V:CSWebContainer:Cmd:/Log?
23-Jan-2018 09:52:17 V:CSWebContainer:Cmd:/Log?

The ‘lack’ of anything after Discovered leads me to believe its not seeing the Vera units…

In another forum, someone suggested adding elinks, so I did that (apt-get install elinks) but no effect… and I ran this also:

xdg-open https://localhost:8989, but no effect either (well, ok, it brought up a browser)

My first thought is it might be a firewall issue… I’m a little rusty on linux firewalls, I’ll start looking there first.

Any suggestions?

Kirby

Are you sure the concierge server is running … it is setup to be configured in an interactive linux environment.

You need Java 8 and the graphical sudo command … you may have to edit the install/update/uninstall script files if you do not have the graphical sudo command.

Hi Richard,

How do I get the plugin Vera Concierge? I can see it in the app list.

[quote=“kirbyb, post:13, topic:197520”]Help,

It doesn’t work for me… I’m certain I’m doing something wrong, but having trouble figuring out debug strategy. I previously had it running on a Windows laptop… I deleted the jar file from that system and am now trying to get it running on a Raspberry Pi 3.0. I’m fairly familiar with linux in general, but am fairly new to the Pi world.

I created a directory /home/pi/Vera and copied the jar file in there. I ran /usr/bin/java -jar ConciergeServer.jar per the instructions, and it seemingly worked fine. I installed the certificate so that the browser warning goes away (although https: is still crossed out and in red). I put in my userid and password, and picked Ui6+ Case sensitive, and pressed Update and Restart, and none of my Vera’s show up in the list (I have three, one master and two in outbuildings).

Here’s a partial log:

23-Jan-2018 09:52:05 V:CSWebContainer:Config Cmd:/Query?Discovered=
23-Jan-2018 09:52:07 V:CSWebContainer:Cmd:/Log?
23-Jan-2018 09:52:12 V:CSWebContainer:Cmd:/Log?
23-Jan-2018 09:52:17 V:CSWebContainer:Cmd:/Log?

The ‘lack’ of anything after Discovered leads me to believe its not seeing the Vera units…

In another forum, someone suggested adding elinks, so I did that (apt-get install elinks) but no effect… and I ran this also:

xdg-open https://localhost:8989, but no effect either (well, ok, it brought up a browser)

My first thought is it might be a firewall issue… I’m a little rusty on linux firewalls, I’ll start looking there first.

Any suggestions?

Kirby[/quote]

also having this issue, however when i press update my log says:

02-Mar-2018 11:04:46 I:VeraConnect.VeraConnection:ClearCredentials 02-Mar-2018 11:04:47 V:CSWebContainer:Cmd:/Log? 02-Mar-2018 11:04:47 I:VeraConnect.VeraConnection:AddCredential:UI6 ? (MY USERNAME) 02-Mar-2018 11:04:47 E:CSWebContainer:handle:/Update?UpdateData=%5B%7B%22Name%22%3A+%22(USERNAME)%22%2C+%22Password%22%3A+%22(PASSWORD)%22%2C+%22Type%22%3A+%22UI6%2BCaseSensitiveUserName%22%7D%2C+%5D&Password= Exception:java.lang.NullPointerException java.lang.NullPointerException at com.rtsservices.conciergeserver.SmartHome.StopPoll(SmartHome.java:137) at com.rtsservices.conciergeserver.VeraService.Stop(VeraService.java:92) at com.rtsservices.conciergeserver.Configuration.ValidCmd(Configuration.java:103) at com.rtsservices.conciergeserver.CSWebContainer.handle(CSWebContainer.java:40) at org.simpleframework.http.socket.service.RouterContainer.handle(RouterContainer.java:106) at org.simpleframework.http.core.RequestDispatcher.dispatch(RequestDispatcher.java:121) at org.simpleframework.http.core.RequestDispatcher.run(RequestDispatcher.java:103) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

has anybody found the solution to this problem?

Have you checked the IP address of your Vera Concierge Server ?
By default you can’t get the address …
Need to make sure you have a static IP or static DHCP reserveration … and then edit the /etc/hosts files (as indicated in the debugging thread)

Hello Richard,
I’ve download Vera Concierge, I’ve receive the activation code and I’ve also store 2 commands RF and two commands IR on the Vera Concierge, I’ve receive the message successfully for all sending remote.
Now I can see the 4 commands on the page 8989/remote but when I “push” the buttons nothing append, do you know why?
Thanks a lot
Michel