VeraPlus - _Scene Control, Getting "Device failed to Configure"

Hi,

I’m new to Vera, I just received my VeraPlus and have only one Z wave device, A linear WD500Z-1

Controller installation, registration etc all went fine. Was able to pair the WD500Z-1 with no problem. However a 2nd “device” appeared. It’s named “_Scene Controller 1” This 2nd device has an error >:( “ERROR: Unable to get any information on node…”

I’ve read other dimmers are “scene compatible” or some such language, The WD500Z-1 has not such language so I’m assuming it does not have this feature.

Question: What is the significance of the above error and how would a scene controller function if it was successful?

Thanks
JohnRob

You should not have the scene controller device showing. It sounds like the inclusion process did not complete properly.

I’d recommend that you first reboot your Vera and see if it clears up. If not, I’d recommend excluding the dimmer and removing the scene controller if necessary. then reboot Vera and make sure it’s gone. then include the dimmer again.

Thanks Z-Waver!

Another question. Rebooting did not help. So I started looking for the exclude option. I could not find a setting to “exclude” a device. Is “excluding” the same as deleting? I found deleting a device at the bottom of the devices options.

Thanks

JohnRob

I have had exactly the same happen but I was adding a ZigBee magnetic door contact sensor (SmartThings Multi Sensor).

The good news is that the ZigBee sensor was recognised - hey ZigBee is enabled :slight_smile: but it failed to complete configuration and timed out. I now have a spurious _Scene Controller 1 device showing with config failed. . The sensor itself does seem to have included OK and shows in the UI and reports state changes correctly although the device also includes a temperature sensor - which was not recognised.

[quote=“JohnRob, post:3, topic:191100”]Thanks Z-Waver!

Another question. Rebooting did not help. So I started looking for the exclude option. I could not find a setting to “exclude” a device. Is “excluding” the same as deleting? I found deleting a device at the bottom of the devices options.

Thanks

JohnRob[/quote]
First: I’m seeing other reports form Vera PLus owners about the spurious _Scene Controller 1. This may be a bug in the Vera Plus, so I would now recommend that you just ignore its presence and the error until we get more information on it.

Excluding devices: Deleting a device is not the same as excluding a device. In fact, if you delete a functioning Z-Wave device from Vera, it will reappear after a while. Excluding a Z-Wave device completely removes it form Vera and resets the device to its factory defaults.

To exclude a device you must first start the INCLUDE device wizard. Then select a “generic device” → Next → Next → {wait for time out} → Retry → Follow on screen instructions to exclude.

Some info and some clarifications. All of the radios are active. If there is an issue with the device that most likely is not a problem in the controller but rather in the firmware.

JohnRob, we will want to look into this if you have unpaired or excluded the dimmer and then included/paired it and the problem persists.

If you could do the following email support@getvera.com and cc me, marc@getvera.com. Explain in as much detail as possible what the issue is and enable remote access and copy the code generated into the email. To enable Remote Access to Settings–> Customer Care and the button is at the bottom of the page.

I have a different scene problem but could be related. I’m new to Vera but have been using my 2gig alarm control panel to do basic actions so I know a little.

I’ve added a device successfully, after contacting support because of a ZigBee error that kept rebooting the device and was stuck in a loop, support was very helpful but I digress. After adding my device I want to start with basic on/off based on schedule, when I go to create a scene, the UI locks up and …

…so as I was typing this I had a thought. Yesterday, I had a similar problem with initial setup so I switched browsers. I applied the same solution except in reverse order. I was using IE and the scene wizard does not work, I switched to Chrome and it now works. I guess I solved my own problem but this is the second time switching browsers corrected a problem with UI7 in Windows 10, is this normal?

Thanks.

Sadly, odd behaviors due to different browsers is not uncommon. This is not specific to Vera Plus, but seems to be true for all versions so far.

Best results seem to be when using Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. The only problems that I have seen in these browsers has been due to browser plugins.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:8, topic:191100”]Sadly, odd behaviors due to different browsers is not uncommon. This is not specific to Vera Plus, but seems to be true for all versions so far.

Best results seem to be when using Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. The only problems that I have seen in these browsers has been due to browser plugins.[/quote]

One issue that I have found will effect browser performance is plugins and extensions. I usually use Firefox but kept getting scripting errors. I turned everything off and it went away. I only turn things on, on an as needed basis.

Out the box no configure done or devices added and I get the exact same error. Very disappointing since it’s just turned on out of the box… Sends a bad sign of things to come. :frowning:

Having exact same problem: newly unboxed VeraPlus. Connected to network with no setup completed. No device inclusions attempted at all. >:(

Mine did the same thing. It was there soon as my Vera Plus booted for the first time. I did not add anything. I will just leave it there until we get more info on the problem.

Jim

I had the same issue.

Worse, after several hours the system shows no sign of migrating from the old Vera2.

If I’m going to have this much pain with a brand new box, I may as well learn something in the process and use a Raspberry Pi.

Big disappointment as I hoped they’d have learnt the lessons by now.

@jbfoster,

Based on information from this forum, I simply deleted the “_Scene Controller 1” and all seemed fine.

Being curious I then unpaired (delete button then unpair) the dimmer, rebooted, re-paired successfully and with no _Scene Controller 1 was created.

Mark at Vera suggested I write Vera support explaining this issue. I did but by the time I wrote there was not much they could do. They did however respond this morning, stating there was nothing they could do after I deleted and rebooted several times. Kudos for Vera support for their prompt response.

Regards,
JohnRob

I also just deleted the errant scene controller and have had no issues.

I though _Scene Controller 1 was core and was needed? Can it just be deleted to recreate itself?

Go the same issue here : device was present as soon as I unboxed the vera plus.
I deleted the device, wait and see… ;D

I deleted it and had no issues since.

Like the others mentioned previously, I was able to “Delete” the spurious “_Scene Controller 1” faux-device from my VeraPlus, as it appeared there OOB much to my dismay.

But I came to this thread out of interest in the LAN/WiFi side of VeraPlus, especially now that I am officially retiring my old Vera1 unit (RIP its Z-Wave radio, sadly). You might say my issue is rather the inverse of the OP’s dilemma, and I’d especially like to know if a VeraPlus unit can act as my primary router.

Here’s my current network configuration (each → is a CAT5 cable connection):
[CABLE MODEM]-(WAN port) → (WAN port)-[VERA1]-(LAN 2) → [8-port Switch] → (WAN Port)-[VeraPlus] → [PC]

So far, I succeeded in Disabling the WiFi on Vera1 and Enabling it on VeraPlus – using identical settings – so my wireless devices are playing happily with VeraPlus. But I’d really like to eliminate the Vera1 from my setup and grant VeraPlus all the same control over my network: handling things like DHCP, port routing, etc.

Is such a configuration even possible?
[CABLE MODEM]-(WAN port) → (LAN1)-[8-port Switch]-(other wired devices on LAN2-7)-(LAN8) → (WAN Port)-[VeraPlus] → [PC]

Or will I be forced to purchase a dedicated (wired or wireless) Router??
Unlike Vera1, nothing in the press release or (very limited) online documentation I’ve read touts VeraPlus as a wired router, though she clearly has some of those capabilities (minus port routing) on the WiFi side. (See attached screenshot for the Firewall settings on VeraPlus, which don’t even make sense to me, absent any LAN ports on her!)

Thoughts? If I’ve hijacked this thread, by all means, tell me so and I’ll remove this post over to its own thread.

THANKS! - LibraSun (believe it or not, a PC tech with 30+ years experience, but brain is fried thinking about this)

@LibraSun - Your Vera Plus is not and cannot be a router for your local network.

If your cable modem cannot provide DHCP, routing, and firewall functionality - many cable modems or most can do those functions - then I would suggest that you buy a home router.

If your cable modem does provide routing and firewall functionality you could probably get by with just a network switch. But I would still recommend a router with WiFi - the Netgear Nighthawks are excellent even if a bit spendy - rather than using a Vera plus for this.