Veraplus - adding Trane TZEMT500BB32MA Thermostat

Hello -

Just took delivery of my vera plus. Under Add Device → Thermostats, I did not see an option for the Trane. So I just added it as a generic z-wave device. It added to the network but I constantly get a message on the dashboard “1 Device is no longer connected”. When I go to set the temperature from the web interface, it takes me several clicks of the up or down arrow for the temperature to send. There is an error on the bottom that doesn’t go away that constantly says “Failed at: Setting special association”.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Matt

Just about ready to go back to MyNexia for 9 dollars a month. Salesperson talked me up on Veraplus and said it would work with any ZWAVE device and if I had problems, there support is number one. Well so far I found Support is non-existent, and nothing by crickets on my only post on this forum. Waste of money so far.

Plus is too new and has issues to work out. Your not the onlu post with device loosing connection.

Also thr fourms are only non vera support. If you need vera you need to open a hwlp ticket with them.

Have you tried to exclude and include again? How far is the trane and what other non battery zwave devices do you have?

I’ve opened a help ticket with them 3 days ago. Not a word back. I’ve tried calling them several times. Keep getting answering service. Left message, no call back.

I’ve tried several times to include and exclude. I had the vera just a few feet away while trying.

The only other device i tried to connect is my schlage keypad door lock. Can’t get it to connect either. Tried reading directions on forum from several users, but no luck.

And what’s with the 20 questions just to post a reply. A single captcha should be sufficient.

Thanks for your help btw.

[quote=“phoxes, post:4, topic:191211”]I’ve opened a help ticket with them 3 days ago. Not a word back. I’ve tried calling them several times. Keep getting answering service. Left message, no call back.

I’ve tried several times to include and exclude. I had the vera just a few feet away while trying.

The only other device i tried to connect is my schlage keypad door lock. Can’t get it to connect either. Tried reading directions on forum from several users, but no luck.

And what’s with the 20 questions just to post a reply. A single captcha should be sufficient.

Thanks for your help btw.[/quote]

Few more post and those questions will be gone.

i’m sure Vera is overwhelmed with problems from it’s new release and they were never same day res ponders before either. So your support ticket and 3 days is not a shocker to me. I suspect it’s going to take a few updates (which each are usually a month apart) to get this new vera in decent working order.

As far as the door lock you will defiantly need to be within a few feet to add that one due to security exchange and it’s a battery device. If you using the web UI while it’s within a few feet it would be much easier to make sure everything is done and test it before moving it. After its done you should eb able to move it up to 20ft away. Any further without other devices creating a mesh network could cause it to not respond after and loose connection.

The trane not being battery or security should be a little easier to get straighten out. There is an include/exclude button in the settings of the unit. I think it says add to z-wave network. You should be able to add that one within 10 to 15ft easy or more but closer is always safer. That device will act as a repeater in the network if needed unlike the door lock.

using generic z-wave device form the add menu is very common. The list of devices is very short and most devices don’t have special install needs. Some two in one or multi devices need to use their name from the drop down to make sure all sensors get added. For example a 6-1 motion detector may only show up as a motion without the temp, humidity and other if you add it as a generic z-wave device. In the case of your devices generic should be fine especially if that specific device is not listed.

After any botched include or add to the controller you need to exclude first then include. Think of it as resetting the z-wave device before trying to add it to the controller. That goes for any used device. Info is stored on both the z-wave device and the controller, just deleting from controller and trying to add wont work. The device needs to be excluded before it can be reused or added to the same or different controller.

A couple of months ago I had to replace my air conditioner and elected to have a new Trane thermostat installed with Z wave capabilities.
The dealer initially proposed one of the ComfortLink models. After reviewing the info on Trane I found that they sell two types that they claim are Z wave devices. The more expensive ones have a Nexis hub built into them that can talk to other z wave items, but they are in fact Wifi connected. You may be able to connect to Vera as a secondary controller, not sure, since I am brand new to this stuff myself.

I purchased the Trane XL624 at that time.

Yesterday I received my VeraPlus and proceeded to put together my first system. At this time I only have 6 devices.
I paired my trane as a generic device, when pairing started, I went to the Trane, selected menu, hit next a couple of times til it said “Z Wave”
At the menu hit the “Yes” button and waited a few seconds until it said “Done”.
Vera then said it was successful, named it, selected a room and it was done.

So far everything seems to be working fine.
Hope this helps.

Cliff

I have three of these thermostats and they have always been a bit wonky. It seems to vary, but they do fall off the network occasionally, and unplugging/replugging them brings them back. It seems to happen in waves, I’ll have a few bad weeks where I have to do it 5 or so times then nothing for a few months.

I’ve noticed in the logs that while most devices respond to a poll in a fraction of a second, these thermostats always take around 10 seconds or so. Not sure if that is causing problems for the controller, but they are some v2.x variant of zwave.

x

I have Schlege Locks and Trane Thermostat and using all from the app and from my browsers interface from 6 hours away from my condo rental with no problems. I had to connect both with generic devices. I used the customer service to get the locks done and they were very helpful and got back with me on a holiday weekend very fast. I was there having trouble getting them connected and they called me back and walked me thru the process. Then followed up with it again when I returned home. Then when I could not program the locks they called me again. It was user error.
My son owns a HVAC/Electrical company and hooked the thermostat up in 10 min with no issues. Roamed found the unit and he installed. I have been using for several days now. The only issue I am having is I believe I need a strong extender and taking one down in a week when I go.

I am very pleased with my system.
:slight_smile: