VeraMate GeoFences (Version >= 7.0)

I’d like to open a new topic for any GeoFence related queries and problems.

I’m hoping it is straight forward in the UI to create GeoFences, but there are some more instructions here: [url=http://www.veramate.com/site/veramatefaq]http://www.veramate.com/faq[/url]

The steps are:

[ol][li]In the GeoFence setting tab, hold down a location to drop a GeoFence pin[/li]
[li]Enter a name for the GeoFence (it can also be disabled from here should you wish to temporarily disable it)[/li]
[li]Press OK to save[/li]
[li]The GeoFence will now be selected, so you can use the slider bar that appears to change the range of the fence.[/li][/ol]

Once you have your fence created, you can choose which scene will be activated by entering edit mode for the scene:

[ol][li]Hold the scene button down for 2 seconds to activate edit mode[/li]
[li]In the edit settings on the scene, scroll to the bottom to view the available Geo Fences[/li]
[li]Enable GeoFence activation, and whether it will activate on exit or entry, by using the buttons on the GeoFence map[/li][/ol]

As it uses the GPS hardware, you will notice increased battery usage. This will be continuously tweaked over the next versions to use the hardware only when necessary. There is a new setting to decrease battery usage further by losing a small amount of accuracy. Currently there may be a noticeable increase when you remain inside a GeoFence which also has an exit scene activation (tweaked further for 7.1).

[EDIT] [size=11pt]Tirggering scenes based on whether multiple users are in a GeoFence[/size]

I’ve added some more details for how to have scenes trigger only when multiple users are home, or away, for example. Since this is fairly involved, I’ve only add this to the FAQ section on VeraMate’s website.

I’m having trouble setting up the GeoFence. I am reading the instructions but I don’t see some of the things that are mentioned. I’m on Veramate 7.0.1 on an Iphone 5. When I go to the Veramate settings I see a GEOFENCES section that has “Alert if no scenes”, “Alert on activation”, and"Force less accuracy"…that’s it. No map, no pins, no nothing. Am I looking in the wrong place???

Yep :slight_smile: It’s the GeoFence tab that you need to view - down the bottom right you should see a tab with a location symbol and “GeoFence”. If it’s not premium it’ll be pushed into the “More” menu, but simply click on More to view extra settings.

Got it. Thanks!

Is it possible to have the new geofence feature turn on and off a virtual switch instead of a scene?

I use PLEG to run scenes and specifically with presence detection I always try to use more than one way of knowing if a person is home or away. Right now I use one virtual switch for geofencing and one for wifi ping. If BOTH are off my system run the away scene.

Would be really great to use VeraMates geofence feature this way!

[quote=“n0ir, post:5, topic:182101”]Is it possible to have the new geofence feature turn on and off a virtual switch instead of a scene?

I use PLEG to run scenes and specifically with presence detection I always try to use more than one way of knowing if a person is home or away. Right now I use one virtual switch for geofencing and one for wifi ping. If BOTH are off my system run the away scene.

Would be really great to use VeraMates geofence feature this way![/quote]

I want to have GeoFences supported by devices in the future, but also wanted to get core the functionality out first. The reason behind this is scenes can be used to activate, for example, the virtual switch anyway. Is that not an option, to have the GeoFence fire a scene which turns on/off the virtual switch? I admit it’s a bit of an overhead for now, but should allow you to get this implementation.

I’ve been meaning to do this for a little while, but I’ve now added some more details for how to have scenes trigger only when multiple users are home, or away, for example. Since this is fairly involved, I’ve only add this to the FAQ section on VeraMate’s website.

For simplicity I’ve specified using a combination switch, but if you use PLEG the same concept applies. I.E, you need to create 2 scenes to turn on/off the virtual switch. A little bit of an overhead, but I’ll get this supported in VeraMate in the future.

I have been using your GeoFence feature since it was added and for the most part it has worked as advertised. But over the course of time, the scenes that are triggered as I enter or leave the GeoFence are now being triggered sporatically. I do get the alert that I have entered or left the GeoFence, that happens 100% of the time but my scenes get executed now less than 50% of the time. I only have two scenes being triggered; to arm security at home when I leave the GeoFence and to disarm when I re-enter. Why has the reliability gone from 100% to less than 50%? I have not upgraded to UI7 but I am on UI6 on Vera 3.

I’ve noticed this problem over the last little while as well. Honestly I’m not sure why it has seemed to decrease in reliability - but I am literally working on this right now. I can actually see the Apple api sending a location which just isn’t right, though I’m checking for invalid ones (which can happen) - seems to happen mostly if you switch on/off the wifi/3G. I’m changing the way I currently handle these notices.

7.3 should be being released any time now, so I’ll have a fix for this in 7.4.

I’m having trouble setting the geofence to the size I want. I’m trying to cover my house plus a bit of the street, but the scale is so fine it jumps when I take my finger off the slider. Perhaps some + - buttons instead of the slider for fine tuning ability. Also it is confusing on how to save changes to an existing geofence. I don’t know if it is even possible. Great app BTW. I like it a lot.

What about using geofences only during some schedules? Like for instance only make some scene happen during the night.

I’ll be trying to make the interface for the GeoFences a little better in the next versions; I realize my attempt at a simple UI hasn’t quite worked…

I’m going to try and include this in version 8. At the moment you can do this by using some LUUP code in your trigger, but I do want this in VeraMate’s interface as well.

If I click on Geofences the app crashes.

Geofences don’t appear to work since today’s update. Also, what is the ibeacon for?

Looking into the GeoFencing issue now. The location services can’t be activated for VeraMate after the last recompile. Will update when I have more information.

Where are you seeing iBeacon? This hasn’t been enabled for 7.5…

Ok I’ve found the problem - there has been a change with iOS8 for location services. GeoFencing will be broken until I get a patch out.

I see ibeacon right under my geofence when I look at a scene in edit mode.

Ah - that’s… a sneak preview of the upcoming iBeacon support :slight_smile: (It’s not enabled yet, so it shouldn’t actually be showing.) It’s starting support for iBeacons in the next version - iBeacons are effectively little geofence devices for local/inside areas (see http://estimote.com/).

Just letting you know I have had some problems with geofencing lately…

My VeraMate says I have left, and almost immediately later arrived at, my assigned geofence, even though I am still in the same place and the assigned geofence is much larger than the GPS margin.

I just thought it was a temporary bug so I stopped using VeraMate for a couple of weeks but today when I re-installed everything I still get this behaviour.

Do you now why this suddenly have stopped working properly?

Updated to version 8 today and thought the problems described above should maybe have sorted themselves, but it seems the problem persist.

Any thought on why, veramate?