Veralite with KeyPadLinc controller/dimmer

First, the specs:
Veralite running latest UI5
Insteon USB ‘modem’ connected to unprotected outlet
KeyPadLinc 6-button controller 2486DBK6
Distance between controller and KPL is about 10’
There are two Insteon Din devices near the KPL that work with no problems

I should also mention that this is my first foray into home automation and that thus far, I’m just using it for a single rooms lighting.

I bought the KPL expecting it to act as a dimmer object as well as a controller (trigger). Now that I’ve installed it and am trying to get everything set up, I’m having a problem with it only being seen as a controller with on/off as the only options. I’m wanting to use the controller to trigger 3 different devices for the different scenes. I’ll also be using an IRLink as a control method, but I’d like to get this working right first.

What do I need to do to get the Veralite to see the device as both controller and dimmer? Is what I’m wanting even possible? How many times must 4 be multiplied to equal 20?

Thanks in advance for any help!

[quote=“Lionheart4G, post:1, topic:184464”]First, the specs:
Veralite running latest UI5
Insteon USB ‘modem’ connected to unprotected outlet
KeyPadLinc 6-button controller 2486DBK6
Distance between controller and KPL is about 10’
There are two Insteon Din devices near the KPL that work with no problems

I should also mention that this is my first foray into home automation and that thus far, I’m just using it for a single rooms lighting.

I bought the KPL expecting it to act as a dimmer object as well as a controller (trigger). Now that I’ve installed it and am trying to get everything set up, I’m having a problem with it only being seen as a controller with on/off as the only options. I’m wanting to use the controller to trigger 3 different devices for the different scenes. I’ll also be using an IRLink as a control method, but I’d like to get this working right first.

What do I need to do to get the Veralite to see the device as both controller and dimmer? Is what I’m wanting even possible? How many times must 4 be multiplied to equal 20?

Thanks in advance for any help![/quote]

The native insteon support is very limited and will not allow you to use a KPL as a scene controller. You’ll need to use Altsteon or buy an ISY and use the ISY plugin.

Thanks for the feedback. I did some research into Altsteon but can’t find anything helpful for people just starting off. I found the download, but see nothing in it for the Veralite. I found this: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=10471.0 but at step 4 its talking about a system running the daemon (first mention). I’ve looked through what results seemed pertinent on Google but can’t find a solid “How to get started with Altsteon for Veralite”. Any help towards that bent?