Veralite UI5 but want Alexa control : will it break my logic?

Hi I have appx 10 devices (Econet control Z-wave vents) and some luup code configured on my old Veralite UI5 which monitors the battery level of the vents and emails me if they get too low. I also make direct calls into my Veralite from a DOS script on a PC, using Internet Explorer and the IP address of my Vera and a request to open or close the vents… here’s an example of a close vent command:
START iexplore.exe “http://192.168.1.xxx:nnn/data_request?id=action&output_format=xml&DeviceNum=8&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1&action=SetLoadLevelTarget&newLoadlevelTarget=0”.

Note: I will never be adding new devices to it in future, its just a static controller.

So I want to buy an Amazon echo device to control some other smart heating, and at the same time plan to control the Veralite z-wave vents. 2 questions: 1) can Alexa be used with Veralite and 2) do I actually need to upgrade from UI5 to UI7 go get Alexa working? I don’t want the hassle of upgrading and then have to do lots of troubleshooting if something is broken, as it could take forever to fix and life’s too short. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Hello,

The Alexa will work with your unit but you have to upgrade it to the UI7 platform for sure.

You can find out more details here:

https://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2648086-alexa-user-guide?b_id=712

Thank you.

^^^
There is your problem - upgrading… If it works right now, I’d suggest you wait until the new and failsafe FW is released otherwise you risk losing the lot.
This forum is riddled with tales of woe and destruction upgrading from UI5 to UI7. Would I do it, NO. I just left my Vera Lite chugging away happily on UI5 and have NEVER had any problem.

Thanks for the feedback chaps. It sounds like it might be more trouble than its worth. Ui5 is quite archaic and its certainly not the easiest to navigate around, but i’m concerned my bits of static LUUP code and IE logic will fail if i upgrade. Even more annoying was that I had to write all this battery monitoring code so that I got emailed when the vents were below 30%. Nowadays all this logic gets built into smartphone apps!

you could explore using Home Assistant to interface Alexa as it points to your Vera.