Vera, wired and wireless connections.

Is it possible that if the wired connection to Vera fails that it can switch to a wireless connection automatically?

Situation would be that the wired network in the house fails, Vera then connects to a secondary WIFI network.

Laptops don’t seem to have a problem with this. Plug them into a docking station they use the hard wire network, remove them and they connect any number of my preferred wireless networks.

No, I don’t believe so. The operational mode you mention is not typical for a router-like device such as Vera, and typically found in an end device such as a laptop, like you mentioned.

Situation would be that the wired network in the house fails, Vera then connects to a secondary WIFI network.
Right. But how likely is it that the wired network would fail?

It might be well doable - if you you connect Vera, wired, to a wireless bridge.
Good wireless bridge device can, I believe, be setup to switch between WLANs and between LAN and WLAN.

Not exactly a consumer level task, but can be done by those who like to tinker with routers.

Right. But how likely is it that the wired network would fail?
[/quote]

Not likely to, but I like to think ahead.

Anyone intent on breaking in may also like to cut phone / cable lines.
Security system uses GSM.
Vera uses cable, if cut I lose communication.
Both on battery backup.
Wireless alternative connection to the internet would still be available.
Since Vera is more then a router / hub and is running an OS, I thought it may be able to operate like a laptop could. Direct connect preferred, wireless secondary.

[quote=“davidlee, post:4, topic:167960”]Right. But how likely is it that the wired network would fail?

Not likely to, but I like to think ahead.

Anyone intent on breaking in may also like to cut phone / cable lines.
Security system uses GSM.
Vera uses cable, if cut I lose communication.
Both on battery backup.
Wireless alternative connection to the internet would still be available.
Since Vera is more then a router / hub and is running an OS, I thought it may be able to operate like a laptop could. Direct connect preferred, wireless secondary.[/quote]

Most routers run an OS. Very likely your router runs on a linux based kernel just like Vera.
As for cutting cables, if a burglar would cut cables disconnection your internet alltogether, he would cut your main phone or cableconnection to the house, not primarily your vera ethernet in house connection. In that case, what is the use of Vera connecting wirelessly to your router on a LAN.

You might be able to pull it off, but it wont be easy, so i suggest to have your headache I will not be a spammer ready before you try and solve your hypothetical case…

Are you saying that your security system provides WiFi internet service through its GSM connection and you’re looking to connect to that?

In general, I think you could look at dual WAN routers for your main router, where the second WAN interface would be cellular. That would take care of your entire LAN, not just Vera.

GSM jammers are freely available on the net, just a sidenote

And I always bring my Z-Wave jammer. :wink: