Vera Plus & USB Storage

Waiting for a large USB storage device to show up… one of those really small Sandisk low profile type of devices. Looking to use this for log storage and backup storage. So if anything goes wrong, I can just unplug the thumbdrive and mount in linux and peruse. Of course, also trying to localize the administration of the Vera Plus… instead of heavily relying on the cloud. Apart from these 2 usages… does anyone else have any other suggestions? Does it make sense to extend the root partition and how (safely)? Not looking to boil the water here, but looking for stability and reduced cloud dependence (ie, local NTP, DNS, logging/backups, etc). Although, would consider some things like a cross compiler to run ha-bridge natively on the Vera (if possible).

Welcome thoughts, as I am sure there have been useful posts I have been unable to locate via searching.

If you mean a USB drive, as opposed to a USB SSD, I’d suggest that you use it for logging only and not try to extend the root filesystem. I’d further suggest that you get an inexpensive USB SSD and use that instead. It will be a more reliable solution and you can experiment with exrooting the Vera. There are (were) threads on this forum on how to do that.

@HSD99 The USB drive is a fast speed Sandisk Ultra… so presume it would be a stable manner for storing data, no? I dont think the Vera uses anything fancy like an M2 or SSD, although I can be wrong. Just curious why you would suggest a USB SSD? Looking for something small profile that I can keep attached and not worry about cables getting pulled.

Vera uses NAND FLASH, and there have been issues in the past (hopefully mitigated by newer firmware) of FLASH wearing out to the point of failure. You can see the same type of issues in USB drives that are constantly being re-written, which is what logging will do. Remember that Vera logs to a RAM drive internally with no limits on read/write cycles. haven’t kept up on USB drives—perhaps they have better FLASH these days? With real SSD drives being so inexpensive, you’ll avoid any potential problems. The SSD that I used was powered via USB from the Vera with no problems, so it’s not different from a USB FLASH drive—no extra cables.