Vera Plus Instability, Constant Reboots, Crashes

Hi folks!

I was hoping for some insight and to see if anyone else is having issues with the 1.7.2414 firmware. This is my 3rd Vera device. In September, I started with a clean slate and a new Vera Plus. I manually added all my devices and recreated all my PLEG logic. The setup was rock solid until I upgraded to 1.7.2414. I’m not sure if it’s firmware related or coincidental.

I have the following apps: PLEG, PLC, VeraAlerts, GE Caddx, Nest, Netatmo, MIMOlite, MulitSwitch, and Day or Night

The logs seem to rotate every 10-20 minutes, which seems a bit fast. I see this in the logs with about the same frequency:

“LuaUPnP Terminated with Exit Code: 245” and “LuaUPnP crash”

I’ve been dealing with Jack E. at Vera who’s been very nice. At first he thought the unit looked OK, then thought some Dahua cameras were causing the issue: “Apparently your Dahua cameras are flooding the network and this is why the Vera unit is rebooting so often.”

I tried disabling “Auto detect devices on my home network” which seemed to cut some outbound requests Vera was making to those cameras, but was informed that " the issue is directly related to the Dahua cameras." I’ve since removed the cameras from my network, but the Vera Plus still seems to be having the same issues. I’m awaiting further help from Vera, but so far, we haven’t been able to figure anything out.

Since it’s rebooting so often, much of my PLEG logic gets messed up because of state issues. Most automation becomes fairly useless and the setup is nothing more than a complex remote control. I’ve tried a factory restore and reloading a backup from the days of stability, but that hasn’t helped. Also, I was informed that firmware downgrades aren’t supported on the Plus.

I haven’t had the time to do any network inspection, but I fear I’m going to have to in the near future. Anyone else with similar problems or have any insight? My couple months of automation bliss have turned to frustration.

Many thanks!

[quote=“egoh, post:1, topic:195089”]Hi folks!

I was hoping for some insight and to see if anyone else is having issues with the 1.7.2414 firmware. This is my 3rd Vera device. In September, I started with a clean slate and a new Vera Plus. I manually added all my devices and recreated all my PLEG logic. The setup was rock solid until I upgraded to 1.7.2414. I’m not sure if it’s firmware related or coincidental.

I have the following apps: PLEG, PLC, VeraAlerts, GE Caddx, Nest, Netatmo, MIMOlite, MulitSwitch, and Day or Night

The logs seem to rotate every 10-20 minutes, which seems a bit fast. I see this in the logs with about the same frequency:

“LuaUPnP Terminated with Exit Code: 245” and “LuaUPnP crash”

I’ve been dealing with Jack E. at Vera who’s been very nice. At first he thought the unit looked OK, then thought some Dahua cameras were causing the issue: “Apparently your Dahua cameras are flooding the network and this is why the Vera unit is rebooting so often.”

I tried disabling “Auto detect devices on my home network” which seemed to cut some outbound requests Vera was making to those cameras, but was informed that " the issue is directly related to the Dahua cameras." I’ve since removed the cameras from my network, but the Vera Plus still seems to be having the same issues. I’m awaiting further help from Vera, but so far, we haven’t been able to figure anything out.

Since it’s rebooting so often, much of my PLEG logic gets messed up because of state issues. Most automation becomes fairly useless and the setup is nothing more than a complex remote control. I’ve tried a factory restore and reloading a backup from the days of stability, but that hasn’t helped. Also, I was informed that firmware downgrades aren’t supported on the Plus.

I haven’t had the time to do any network inspection, but I fear I’m going to have to in the near future. Anyone else with similar problems or have any insight? My couple months of automation bliss have turned to frustration.

Many thanks![/quote]

google that 245 error
there is a post with instructions on what the problem is…
i had it happen the other day.
basically your userdata.json file is corrupt.
you’ll need to ssh in. stop cmh copy over a backup then start cmh back up.

as far as downgrading. last firmware upgraded WRT and think that is why you can’t go back.

Thanks for the quick reply. If that file is in fact the culprit, I don’t think I’d have a un-corrupt backup:

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 102725 Jan 9 12:06 user_data.json.lzo
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 102602 Jan 9 12:00 user_data.json.lzo.1
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 102654 Jan 9 11:54 user_data.json.lzo.2
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 102682 Jan 9 11:48 user_data.json.lzo.3
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 102725 Jan 9 11:42 user_data.json.lzo.4
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 102914 Jan 9 11:36 user_data.json.lzo.5

my 1st two were different sizes than all the rest
i copied over last to the new. and that fixed my issue.
you may want to try it just to see what happens.
but i was getting a 245 as well

I had the issue you describe after updating, including the 245 error code. It was caused by my GoControl/Linear WAPIRZ-1 motion sensor.

I have been dealing with the constant reboots (Vera Startup) myself. Per my support ticket (and some validation on the forum here), it appears that (in my situation), the DLNA/Plex is causing the flooding issue. If I completely take my DLNA devices offline, the issue appears to go away; when I put 1 back on, the issue comes and goes… That’s why I can’t say for sure that’s the root cause, but seems relevant.

It doesn’t make sense that if I have a Vera I have to give up my media server/clients, it is just another suggestion in case you would like to diagnose further.

Oh man, I have the exact same issue after upgrading and same error code…and I also think it is tied to my GoControl/linear WAPIRZ-1 motion sensor as the error appears immediately after attempting to access that device when I viewed the logs. I just unpaired the device about 1 hour ago, and am waiting nervously for the dreaded restart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to update this situation, I did not experience any other restarts since unpairing the the Go Control motion sensor, until this morning when I seem to have tripped another sensor, either another GoControl motion sensor or a similar device sold by monoprice which I have had for 1-3 years. A quick review of the log before heading out to work tied the error to that other motion sensor, with an error just like the original issue I identified. I have several of these motion sensors from Monoprice and GoControl deployed. If anyone has a solution, please, I would be very thankful to hear it. I have raised this issue to tech support so they know it exists beyond on person. Thank you!

Search is your friend.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,41086.msg

[quote=“w1ngz”]Search is your friend.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,41086.msg[/quote]
Thanks, as you will notice I posted there earlier also because it not entirely clear to me if these issues are the same or not. I see there is a device not recognized problem and the restart problem linked to the sensor. It was unclear to me if these are the same issue, or perhaps more specifically, share a common solution. It was also unclear to me, based on the other thread, if this was a solution that could be applied by end users or required Vera Care intervention. Based on the most recent post on that thread, it would appear to absolutely require Customer Care intervention.

So I guess my question for you individually, is as follows: did whatever John M did remotely solve both issues?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I hadn’t noticed you posted in that thread.

I’m not sure the QA, dev or support folks know that this doesn’t just affect the device, but messes up the entire system.
I would have expected the new firmware be pulled and revised already, given that they know how to fix the problem.

And yes, their fix settled down my system restarts and other issues related to the restarts just fine, everything is back to normal.

Doh, I forgot I have one Linear WAPIRZ-1. I’ll have to ping support to see if I can get the patch. Perhaps that’s the root of my issue, despite support thinking it’s somehow tried to LAN traffic.

[quote=“w1ngz”]I hadn’t noticed you posted in that thread.

I’m not sure the QA, dev or support folks know that this doesn’t just affect the device, but messes up the entire system.
I would have expected the new firmware be pulled and revised already, given that they know how to fix the problem.

And yes, their fix settled down my system restarts and other issues related to the restarts just fine, everything is back to normal.[/quote]
Thanks for your responses here and on the other thread. Although I have an open ticket for these issues, they were way off base and had me delete plug-ins and strip away parts of my set up which I will now have to recreate. On my own last week I deleted scenes thinking that might be the problem.

I will probably open a new ticket when I get hone from work today. Thank you again for you guidance on this problem.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I finally got the WAPIRZ-1 patched file. Support said there was no way this issue would cause instability, but my machine is once again stable. I’m happy for the help, but hope support gets their coordination a bit tighter.

Where is the patched file? Did support send it to you?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk[/quote]

You have to open a support ticket and they will update the file for you.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk[/quote]

You have to open a support ticket and they will update the file for you.[/quote]
Thanks. Just opened a ticket.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk