Vera extroot

Removed and re-added the drive and it looks like it worked.
root@MiOS_50021410:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 54.4G 100.0M 51.5G 0% /
/dev/root 10.0M 10.0M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 124.8M 1.1M 123.6M 1% /tmp
/dev/sda2 54.4G 100.0M 51.5G 0% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
/dev/sda1 487.8M 3.1M 455.2M 1% /mnt/sda1
/dev/mtdblock10 50.0M 1.4M 48.6M 3% /storage
/dev/mtdblock10 50.0M 1.4M 48.6M 3% /etc/cmh-firmware
/dev/mtdblock10 50.0M 1.4M 48.6M 3% /etc/cmh-backup
/dev/mtdblock9 9.8M 9.8M 0 100% /mios

Hello Rafale,

SSD and USB adapter on there way to my home as my rootfs is 91% usedā€¦
Once received and before proceed, just one or two question (or 3ā€¦)

Is the script attached to first post the good one ?

I have a USB key plugged to my VP and usb logging is enabled.
So i think that I must first disable usb logging, then unplug USB key, plug the SSD and re enable usb logging before proceding ?

My VP is running the last update (4453). I just have to SCP the script and run it through SSH, right ?
A specific folder to SCP this script ?

Should I use savespace.sh waiting the delivery of the ssd ?

Sorry for all those noob questionsā€¦

Yes, The first post will always have the latest script.
Yes you will have to remove your USB drive and replace it with the SSD which then will be your SSD logging drive.
And yes the procedure you described is as I posted on the first post. No specific folder. It doesnā€™t matter.
If you do not plan to add any more plugins, it is probably safe to wait.

1 Like

i know we have killed the fact that veralite cant be exrooted but i found this and was soncering if it would work for a veralite

i already have a veraplus but was wondering if i should try this on my old veralite

This is essentially what extrooting does. It is just called differently because of a different linux distro being used. The fstab edit makes the kernel boot from the usb driveā€¦

Hi Rafale,

I just read the message 57, saying that "To make the file executable you write ā€œchmod +x savespace.shā€. Enter."

Do I have to run this command too for the extroot script ?

SSD should arrive today, Iā€™ll tell you how the extroot went for me.

Thanks.

Depends on what computer is used to download the file. It seems windows wipes out the executable permission. So you can try with and without.

OK, many thanks for all your answers and patience !

Done.
Everything seems to be ok, proceed in less time that needed to write this sentenceā€¦
Big thanks !!!

Quick questionā€¦ what does the backup utility do? Not quite sure what it is for. Is there a way to restore that backup?

When extrooted, your vera is running off of your external ssd. All your settings, plugins, user data, zwave dongle backups are all on your SSD. The backup script just makes a copy of all these files backā€¦ into the vera embedded flash so that if you unplug your ssd, the vera will boot from state of the time you ran the backup script. It is not designed to create a backup for you to restore from. The standard backup from the UI does that already.

Gotchaā€¦ that makes way more sense.

So I have a question, any anyone feel free to answer. Exactly how pressing do you see this memory problem being? The reason I ask is that I purchased a new Vera Plus, and Iā€™m assuming itā€™ll last a little while (several years?). I always had a backup unit before in case of hardware failure, but this sounds like it might be more pressing than in the past.

Previously I had a Vera 3 that ran me for many many years with no issues. I have a brand new one sitting in the box that I never had to pull out. Of course I donā€™t plan to have my current unit forever either, but should I worry?

I donā€™t have anything critical so losing the box wouldnā€™t be such a big deal, other than a bit inconvenient until I get a replacement online. I do regular backups and I was always ready to switch over if need be, but maybe I should give it more thought this time?

I had a one year old VeraPlus that was bricked by the last update. I donā€™t have that many plugins and devices and it ran out of space.

I think itā€™s one of the most significant issues facing vera. Itā€™s quite possible to run out of space by installing half a dozen plug-ins on a new box

C

I just bricked my Edge using extroot (script). I guess I can only blame myself as it was not properly tested on Edge. So I went ahead and ordered Plus.

Despite my latest experience, Iā€™m going to try extrooting again with Plus. But what would be the best approach? First upgrade to the latest firmware, then extrooting and backup restore as a last step? I have (had) 8 plugins (PLEG & PLC, multistring, Netatmo, Powermax, Day or Night, Virtual on/off, Virtual outdoor temp).

u sure its bricked?
Running vera plus with 4 pages of plugins extrooted u should be fine

Same thing happened to me on a VeraEdge, Vera support tried to help me but they quickly gave up and approved an RMA. Seems like it will take awhile before I get the replacement Edge so I also ordered another VeraPlus from a more local dealer. Vill probably use the Edge for other testing purposes.

Yes, There seems to be a problem with the vera edge now confirmed by both @korttoma and @tunnus so do not use it on a vera edge. Itā€™s been working on the plus and the secure so far. I have not had time to try to recover or figure out what is happening with the vera edge. I have bricked mine tooā€¦

Extrooted 2 VeraPlus devices today without any problems.

2 Likes