Vera Edge Vs. VeraLite

I’m rather new to the Vera family and after using it struggling like many new user I think I finally have a system that’s working for me. But I’m also wondering if I purchased the right unit to begin with. I see that the Vera Edge supports the new Z-Wave Plus protocol and can handle more devices but what are the other differences between the two units. Reading the Vera Edge products page it would seem to be far more advanced including geo fencing where the VeraLite requires the use of a plugin like iPhone Locator, just an example.

I’m thinking of upgrading to the Edge but if there is really no difference other than support for a larger Z-Wave environment I don’t think it’s worth it. Any info would be very helpful.

[quote=“RichardPHarvey, post:1, topic:187320”]I’m rather new to the Vera family and after using it struggling like many new user I think I finally have a system that’s working for me. But I’m also wondering if I purchased the right unit to begin with. I see that the Vera Edge supports the new Z-Wave Plus protocol and can handle more devices but what are the other differences between the two units. Reading the Vera Edge products page it would seem to be far more advanced including geo fencing where the VeraLite requires the use of a plugin like iPhone Locator, just an example.

I’m thinking of upgrading to the Edge but if there is really no difference other than support for a larger Z-Wave environment I don’t think it’s worth it. Any info would be very helpful.[/quote]

Edge has a faster CPU and double the ram as the lite. Edge has wifi built in (but most don’t use it) lite doesn’t.

Both the lite and the edge run similar software (almost 100% the same except since one has z-wave plus it is a bit different, but not by looks or functions only deep inside) so your geofencing idea is not correct. Both are the same. But the stock geofencing sucks and is limited to one person or device. So I myself use other means anyways.

The edge on AMAZON is like 30.00 difference. It would be a huge mistake to get the lite over the EDGE. I have upgraded two of my lites to edges due to running out of RAM and freezing up. RAM is the biggest issue.

Thanks for the reply, I’m not having any memory issues that I’m aware of and have not hit the 70 device limit of the Lite so I think I will sit tight for now. If the Edge supported geofencing better than the Lite it cold have been a reason. MCV really needs to look at their webpage and be way more clear on what the real features of the Edge are.

Device limit is higher then plugin limit.

Z-wave devices don’t use much resources. The plugins (and certian ones more then others) are where you can suck down alot of RAM. They are virtual devices that only exsit on RAM so to speak. The LITE (128mb) has enough ram to run the ui and some basic stuff but when you start adding plugins you quickly fill it up. Doubling the RAM in the edge (SAME as the VERA 3 256mb) leaves more then double the ram free for plugins.

z-wave plus is a big plus but that will become a stronger leg to stand on as more z-wave plus devices come out. Right now alot of people don’t care as they don’t have z-wave plus devices and only a few exsit. I have seen a dozen or more scheduled for release soon and I plan on picking some up myself (for my edges). So that’s more of its too soon thing.

If you have a lite you can use ui5, ui6 or ui7 software. ui7 latest build is the same that’s on the EDGE. So from the UI you won’t see any difference (besides no wifi controls). Wifi is unused by many as vera is not a good router and most people already have one. So mine sit disabled.

If your using the LITE now and not having any issues and don’t plan on z-wave plus sit tight for better things to come. By the end of this year VERA has planned one or two more devices better then the edge. Only reason I upgraded as I was running into issues by overloading my Lites.

Thanks, that really does sum it all up. I do see Z-Wave Plus and something that I will want to move to at some point in the future. I noticed the new motion from Fibaro which is a Plus device and looks very nice.

There seems to be only one downside to upgrading to the Vera Edge from the Vera Light, which applies to users of Leviton switches. At present it is uncertain MCV will be able to solve the problem:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,29569.0.html

@integlikewhoa, thanks for all the info. I am also thinking about upgrading to the Edge, not that many devices (about 12) but system response time (UI and running scenes) is slow sometimes. Do you experience faster response times on the Edge compared to the Lite?

Unless you are running our of memory and Vera is restarting because of it a lot … you will NOT notice anything different between
an Edge and Vera Lite.

However a LOT of reliability problems are related to the insufficient memory in the Vera Lite.

There are a lot of other bugs in UI7 right now … so an Edge will demonstrate the crash a little faster since it’s CPU is slightly faster.