Vera Edge / Vera Plus - Firmware Upgrade - Zwave S2

Hi guys,

I have a VeraPlus (and an Edge in a drawer) which I am using as a ZWAVE hub (and RFXComm) with Home Assistant, and have done so for the past 4 years or so. I’ve mostly left alone with minimal firmware updates and its been smooth sailing.

I’m keen on getting moving to ZWave s2 now that HA supports that. I’ve been trying to figure out what’s going on with Vera and I am either not using the correct terms or I’m just rubbish so apologies if you have answered this before. I can only find old (2019 and older) mentions of some of this so my questions are as follows:

• can the VeraPlus be upgraded to ZWave S2 (it sounds like theoretically it can in some older posts)
  • if so how?
  • I am on firmware 1.7.4 - is it worth upgrading or will that open a lot of issues? Seems like 1.7.5 is the latest?
  • are these devices still being maintained?
  • is the current firmware (or the 174 even) an extension of the original or is it a total new version written from the ground up by EZLO?

Sorry for the possibly stupid questions, just trying to catch up!

Many thanks!!

2 Likes

Wow, no replies… just a couple of followers?

That’s because most people who answered questions in the past have either left or been banned off the forum.

Vera Plus / Edge controllers do support S2 security, if the Z-Wave device is S2 it should attempt to be paired as S2 etc.

Thanks for responding @cw-kid - sad to hear (helpful) people are getting banned! Makes me appreciate the original Micasaverde forum which was quite vibrant.

Do you know if they support S2 out of the box, or do I need to update the firmware first - or even port over to the EZLO operating system which it sounds like is somehow possible?

Thanks again

As far as I know S2 support is out of the box.

Although the newer “Vera” firmware is very stable as of late so you might consider upgrading anyway.

Avoid the Ezlo Linux firmware on your Vera Edge however.

Perfect, thanks again for taking the time to answer!

@fyford

As far as I am aware the only way to actually tell if a particular Z-Wave device was paired in S2 Security mode, is to use the web interface, to look at its NodeInfo variable field and look for S’s in the string.

My production Vera Plus is on “Vera” not “Ezlo” firmware, version 1.7.5186 (7.31).

For example for one of my Fibaro Dimmer 2 devices, if I go in to its Advanced area and Variables tab, look for “NodeInfo” and click Edit.

If there are any S’s present in the string then that means this particular device has been paired with S2 Security mode.

If there are no S’s present in the string, then its not been paired securely.

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like